Windows server 2003 licencing

Old October 29th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Will

Default Windows server 2003 licencing

"Guy Macon" http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote in message
If only Guy's "flame speech" could make an appearance then God
would be in heaven and all would be right with the world.

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As we
...200 lines later....
mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive,
abusive, socially-retarded, puerile, and Generally Not Good.

I hope this helps...

That was impressive.

--
Will

Old October 30th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

Default Data on server, OS and apps backed up

In article , Jez T wrote:

WTF??? Have you ever heard of OBDR?
Google it and see what comes up.

ODBR is good for servers in small environments (few servers). For PCs, you
backup any data to a server and reimage / reinstall the PC if necessary.

Jez --

Is this something that I can find on my 5-7 year-old Compaq DLT drive I bought
a while back or is this something only on newer equipment? I was unable to
bring up HP's compatibility page for this -- perhaps their FTP server is doa.

Thanks!
Old October 31st 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Jez T wrote:

WTF??? Have you ever heard of OBDR?
Google it and see what comes up.

ODBR is good for servers in small environments (few servers). For PCs,
you
backup any data to a server and reimage / reinstall the PC if necessary.

Jez --

Is this something that I can find on my 5-7 year-old Compaq DLT drive I
bought
a while back or is this something only on newer equipment? I was unable
bring up HP's compatibility page for this -- perhaps their FTP server is
doa.

Thanks!

OBDR is quite recent. The idea is you effectively boot from tape and the
whole server will restore.

With older hardware, you have a slightly different principle to restore a
server from a single tape.
You need the right software to do it. I think Arcserve and BackupExec
support this option. You have to make a special recovery floppy. You can
then boot to that floppy and restore from your tape without needing an OS on
the server.

However, you need the software to do it. I know it will work because I had a
case about this, but that was 6 years ago with ArcServe 6.5 (as it was
then), so I'm a little bit sketchy on the details. You'll have to research
the SW options currently available.

Personally, I'd go for a simple tried-and-tested backup on older hardware
with a straightforward install-OS + recover procedure.

Whatever you do, test it and document it BEFORE you need to use it...

Old October 31st 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article , Jez T wrote:

[...]

Good post Jez, I completely agree. Tho, im not a fan of OBDR since it
requires that a local tape drive be attached to every machine (if i recall
correctly). I never really played with those features, as we have always had
a solid Data recovery, Disaster recovery methology.

We use Veritas NetBackup and leverage Shadow Copy Services for 2003 servers,
and "all local disks and system state backups" for 2000 servers. Start with
a machine with a base OS load, and you can restore it completely to the
point of your last backup. We have DR exercises several times a year where
we recovery AD and various parts (application environments) of the
production environment. Its been working very well for us.

- LC

Old November 1st 06, 02:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Nut Cracker" wrote
Good post Jez, I completely agree. Tho, im not a fan of OBDR since it
requires that a local tape drive be attached to every machine (if i recall
correctly).

Almost. A quick trawl through the documentation confirms that you can use it
with USB DAT drives.
However, you're not going to us using USB DAT drives in anything other than
a small-server environment...