Problems with SATA drives and XP

Old October 21st 04, 02:06 PM
GEM

Default Problems with SATA drives and XP

Help!

Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
manager.

Wes.

Old October 21st 04, 02:19 PM
Peter R Cook

In message , GEM
writes
Help!

Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
manager.

Wes.

You did format and partition it?

Can Disk Management see it?

Regards

--
Peter R Cook
Old October 21st 04, 10:47 PM
GEM

"Peter R Cook" wrote in message
In message , GEM
writes
Help!

Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
manager.

Wes.

You did format and partition it?

Can Disk Management see it?

Regards

--
Peter R Cook

I was distracted when setting it up, but remember formatting and
partitioning at least ONE of them... Disk Management sees C: in the top
section only, but in the bottom section has both listed - although the
second drive is UNALLOCATED as opposed to the NTFS HEALTHY indicated on the
drive above.

Would I be right in assuming that the second disk in unformatted and
therefore unseen?

Wes.

Old October 21st 04, 11:53 PM
Peter R Cook

In message , GEM
writes

[...]

C: is formatted and partitioned

The Unallocated drive is not formatted or partitioned. Explorer will
therefore ignore it. Simply use Disk Management to create a partition on
the drive and format it. Then explorer will see them.

(I think right click on the drive brings up the relevant context menu)

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old October 22nd 04, 01:33 AM
Bob Davis

"GEM" wrote in message

I was distracted when setting it up, but remember formatting and
partitioning at least ONE of them... Disk Management sees C: in the top
section only, but in the bottom section has both listed - although the
second drive is UNALLOCATED as opposed to the NTFS HEALTHY indicated on
the drive above.

Would I be right in assuming that the second disk in unformatted and
therefore unseen?

Right-click on the second drive and format it. It should then be seen in
Windows Explorer, etc., and it'll then be usable.

Old October 22nd 04, 02:49 PM
GEM

"GEM" wrote in message
Help!

Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
manager.

Wes.

Thank you all very much - you were right, it just needed formatting! What a
bonehead...

Wes.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:20 PM
Richard Dower

"GEM" wrote in message

Thank you all very much - you were right, it just needed formatting! What
a bonehead...

Wes.

LOL!!