CPU Temp Errors

Old May 15th 04, 01:01 AM
Craig Coope

Default CPU Temp Errors

I'm getting CPU over temp errors when I reset....the cpu is at around 61deg
C (140F) is this way too high...

My bedroom is pretty hot with the heating on....do you think this is the
cause?

Cheers

Craig...

Old May 15th 04, 02:21 AM
Philburg2

Honestly that's not THAT hot for a normal cpu, but I understand the 64bit
cpu run fairly cool... Do you get a reading for a case temperature? Also,
make sure to use a quality thermal paste and that the heatsink is properly
seated.

Old May 15th 04, 02:47 AM
Craig Coope

"Philburg2" wrote in message
.com...
Honestly that's not THAT hot for a normal cpu, but I understand the 64bit
cpu run fairly cool... Do you get a reading for a case temperature? Also,
make sure to use a quality thermal paste and that the heatsink is properly
seated.

I only get a reading for the CPU and Mobo....the Mobo runs at about 47Deg
C...

I didn't build the system myself....it was bought this way....

I have yet to check the calibration of the reading....I will do that
tomorrow as soon as I switch it on....

The system seems stable and it hasn't shut off or anything....so right now I
am not too bothered....

I'm not sure about the cool 'n' quiet technology tho as be default it is/was
off in BIOS.....do I just need to turn it on and that is it?

Cheers

Craig....

Old May 15th 04, 07:19 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 May 2004 02:47:47 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

I only get a reading for the CPU and Mobo....the Mobo runs at about 47Deg
C...

My room temp is about 22C. MB temp is 26C. 47C seems way too high.

I didn't build the system myself....it was bought this way....

case temp should be within about 5C of ambient room temp. If it isn't,
well, it's just not very good cooling.

Old May 15th 04, 07:12 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:01:05 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

I'm getting CPU over temp errors when I reset....the cpu is at around 61deg
C (140F) is this way too high...

My bedroom is pretty hot with the heating on....do you think this is the
cause?

Not unless you keep your room around 110F.

Old May 15th 04, 08:27 AM
Craig Coope

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.05.15.06.19.19.33974@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:01:05 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

I'm getting CPU over temp errors when I reset....the cpu is at around

61deg
C (140F) is this way too high...

My bedroom is pretty hot with the heating on....do you think this is the
cause?

Not unless you keep your room around 110F.

OK...Well I have to say that the PC only has a PSU fan and the fan over the
CPU....no chasis fans although there are two spaces for them on the
case....I have looked at a few threads online and most people have atleast
one chasis fan...

My motherboard has the CPU fan socket on it but it seems it only had one
Chasis fan socket....so I assume I can only have one chasis fan?

I took the side off the case and let it run in BIOS and the temps fell to
51C for CPU and 40 for MB....the cpu fan also well by 900 to about
5000rpm....

I assume you guys will suggest I get a chasis fan?....if I truely can only
fit on fan onto it do I get a intake or outake fan?

Oh...also I have read that touching your heatsink close to the base can also
give you an idea oh how hot the CPU is running....and it although it was
obviously warm it wasn't painfully hot or anything...I could happily keep my
finger there forever....

Cheers

Craig....

Old May 15th 04, 10:13 AM
Craig Coope

I have just phoned up the place I bought the PC from (as my floppy drive and
second DVD drive won't work...although the first DVD drive does)...anyway he
said that my CPU temp is normal and I shouldn't worry unless it reaches
temps of 80C....so I am gonna quit worrying....I may still buy a chassis fan
tho....so any pointers on that will be welcome )

Craig....

Old May 15th 04, 11:51 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:13:07 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

I have just phoned up the place I bought the PC from (as my floppy drive and
second DVD drive won't work...although the first DVD drive does)...anyway he
said that my CPU temp is normal and I shouldn't worry unless it reaches
temps of 80C....so I am gonna quit worrying....I may still buy a chassis fan
tho....so any pointers on that will be welcome )

Hmmm... You bought it from them but things don't work, and you're going to
take his word for it.:-)

If my cpu temp ever got to 60C I'd shut it down. There's just no reason to
run it that high. Most cases have at least a spot for an intake fan in the
lower front and at least one exhuast fan in the rear. Since the PSU also
provides an exhaust, if you are only going to put in one fan it should be
an intake fan at the bottom front. And if you cut the metal out that
blocks the airflow in front of the fan you can double the airflow into the
case. I do this to every case I use. And most of the time I also have to
either drill larger holes in the plastic front or cut out some plastic
also to get unrestricted air to the fan. It makes a huge difference, and
it makes the fan quieter too since it's not starving for air and
whining. Short of having decent case cooling, I'd leave the side cover off.

Old May 16th 04, 12:20 AM
Craig Coope

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.05.15.22.58.48.866668@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

If my cpu temp ever got to 60C I'd shut it down. There's just no reason to
run it that high. Most cases have at least a spot for an intake fan in the
lower front and at least one exhuast fan in the rear. Since the PSU also
provides an exhaust, if you are only going to put in one fan it should be
an intake fan at the bottom front. And if you cut the metal out that
blocks the airflow in front of the fan you can double the airflow into the
case. I do this to every case I use. And most of the time I also have to
either drill larger holes in the plastic front or cut out some plastic
also to get unrestricted air to the fan. It makes a huge difference, and
it makes the fan quieter too since it's not starving for air and
whining. Short of having decent case cooling, I'd leave the side cover

off.

Well I have a very dark grey case (yes this just obsorbes even more heat!)
and it is plastic....it is not a plain flat metal front...it has plastic
ribs down that the front.....don't get me wrong I am not saying it looks all
that amazing but it would look terrible if I cut it to bits...I have put an
intake fan on the lower front and have also put two outtake fans in the
spaces below the psu outake at the back and as I have said in my other post
it has made a great difference....I could leave the side cover off also but
to me that just seems a bit sloppy...The case should be able to sustain a
cool temp fully built......hmmmm....

I guess i want the least amount of dust in side the tower as poss....I am a
slob and my bedroom has not been vacuumed in years (seriously...no joke!)
p....

Cheers

Craig....

Old May 17th 04, 04:46 AM
Van Souza

Yes, that is hot, run with the case open if you can and aim a desk fan
at the open computer. Have someone check your CPU fan as well and soon...

Craig Coope wrote:
I'm getting CPU over temp errors when I reset....the cpu is at around 61deg
C (140F) is this way too high...

My bedroom is pretty hot with the heating on....do you think this is the
cause?

Cheers

Craig...

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
CPU Temp - How hot is too hot? Christoph General 7 June 5th 04 01:40 PM
athlon XP temperature kamik General 2 April 29th 04 11:58 PM
Sector errors - weird, strange? help!! david General 1 September 22nd 03 01:33 AM
System temps Ed Coolidge General 2 August 20th 03 05:22 AM