OK Time for a better Vid Card

Old July 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
Dave

Default OK Time for a better Vid Card

A 1.8 ghz P4 should be fine. Maybe he has one of the cheapy 64 bit memory
bus cards. Maybe drivers aren't loaded properly. What OS and what video
driver are you using, Dennis?
Dave

Strontium stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Your CPU/memory is your bottleneck. That card should rock.

-
Dennis stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Sytem:
P4 1.8
768 mgbr
GFX5200

Ive started playing StarWars Galaxies, (great game) and my frame
rates are around 12 FPS. It drops to around 8 in busier areas. In
short they suck! I dont even have the graphics cranked 1/2 way.
Even while playing WWIIOL I noticed my FPS did not improve much over
my previous GEF400MX. So I am budgeting to spend a little more
money, OK the Wife says I can spend $200.00 or under. So what would
you guys recommend is out there to fit in that budget and be the
optimal card for games. I really will need something to take my
another year or so down the road, performance wise. (Please no ATI
references I simply will not use them). so a GeF4200? or GeF5600....

Dennis

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
there at all. And, I want to get free..."

Old July 3rd 03, 08:48 PM
Flow

Don't buy the fx5600 it's not so fast as you would think.
If you have money to burn go for the fx5900 ultra or take the cheaper
ti4200.

"Dennis" schreef in bericht

Old July 4th 03, 12:45 AM
Dave

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc5
I'd say it's fast enuff. It looks like ti4600 speed to me.
Dave

Old July 4th 03, 01:17 AM
Lyle

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:48:01 +0200, "Flow" wrote:

[...]

i have a athalon 1600xp(1.4 ghz)
1gb ram
geforce fx 5900 non ultra

and star wars galaxies rocks on my system, and i have all the options
cranked to max.
Old July 4th 03, 09:32 AM
Ron Merts

I would bet the CPU/Memory is as much of a problem as the video card. The
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra is around $189-$199 but you are going to need
something with more CPU power to really pick up any performance gain. Is
your P4 the 1.8 (256K Cache, 400Mhz FSB) or the 1.8A (512K Cache, 400Mhz
FSB)? If you can get up to the 2.4Ghz range you will see a big improvement,
especially if you can use the 533Mhz FSB model. Also, is your system memory
PC-133 (SDR) or PC-2100 (DDR)? The original 845 chipsets with PC-133 memory
were horribly crippled with anything that used a lot of RAM.

Ron