Which video card?

Old June 30th 03, 05:05 AM
michael

Default Which video card?

Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
4200.

Old June 30th 03, 05:25 AM
Scott

Dude, your going to need to find a way to upgrade that power supply. If =
it doesn't fit, then set it somewhere. 250W is cutting it very close =
for today's high end, heat producing hardware.

Scott

"michael" wrote in message =
Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my =

system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though =

the
power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with =

the
4200.
=20

Old June 30th 03, 05:59 AM
michael

It's not a matter of shape or size,the motherboard connector uses a
completely different 24 pin arrangement from any other psu,and Compaq only
makes them in 235 and 250 watt models.Why they used such a low powered unit
in a Pentium 4 system is beyond me.I've searched for months for a third
party unit that would work,or even an adaptor to use with one,but it's
hopeless.

Old June 30th 03, 01:47 PM
Scott

Well in that case your only hope is to get hooked up in a Compaq user =
groups somewhere. You then might get hooked up with some resources out =
there, where others have had the same issue. Beyond that, my only =
recommendation is to build your own next time. I've been building my =
own rigs for 7 years now, and have never looked back.

Scott

Old July 1st 03, 05:16 AM
Ed_

In article , "michael" says...

"michael" wrote in message
Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my

system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I can't
upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2 and
SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though the
power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand with the
4200.

Michael, you sound like a man who knows what he is talking about but I have to
ask.........what is the model number of the Presario? I have a 7ap195 and I
upgraded my Compaq PS to an Allied 350W last year, no problems with the
connector or functionality. I also had a 235W, at least Compaq tried to call it
one.

I know what a pain the Presarios can be with proptietory parts and Compaq
charges a small fortune to replace or upgrade them. I'm not questioing you, I'm
just curious.

Ed

Old July 1st 03, 08:16 AM
michael

It's a 5423US.It's one of a series of Pentium 4 models with ddr memory that
Compaq produced using a motherboard and psu of their own design that has
totally different connections from the standard ATX.
In article , "michael" says...

Old July 1st 03, 04:12 PM
carchadon

Michael - there are PSU with several different connectors if you shop around -
for instance....mine has the standard ATX plug, a thin single row plug (with
about 5 flat pins - I have a P3 mobo with this type of power connector) and
another plug with 4 female pins in a square - surely yours must be one of these?

michael wrote:

It's a 5423US.It's one of a series of Pentium 4 models with ddr memory that
Compaq produced using a motherboard and psu of their own design that has
totally different connections from the standard ATX.
In article , "michael" says...

Old June 30th 03, 11:36 AM
Jdr

"Dude" ? See what it means.

dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. = fool
(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]

Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?

Strange....

Old June 30th 03, 08:23 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:36:07 +0100
"Jdr" wrote:

"Dude" ? See what it means.

dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =
fool(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]

Do you really think this is a suitable word for addressing people ?

In the United States in the early part of the 21st Century "dude" is
part of the vernacular. The use of "dude" as an equivalent to "pal",
"buddy", the British usage of "mate", and so on originated, I believe,
in the black community in the US some time in the 1960s and has since,
as a result of white people wanting to appear to be in touch with the
latest trends, become widespread, to the point that it was used by Dell
Computer as part of their advertising slogan recently, the slogan being
"Dude, you're gettin' a Dell". Since that time its use in the context
of"Dude, you're gettin' a (whatever)" has become a humorous way of
making a suggestion.

Strange....

"michael" wrote in message
Presently I have a 64MB GeFORCE 2 MX 100/200 card installed in my

system.Are
there any better cards
available that will work properly with a 250 watt power supply?I
can't upgrade the psu,it's a Compaq
Presario with a proprietary design.I tried a Geforce 4
Ti 4200,it worked great even with games as recent as ELITE FORCE2
and SoF2,but UNREAL 2 causes a complete shutdown.
The monitor shuts off,the system stops responding to anything,though
the power light remains on.Blackhawk Down also caused this.
I can only guess that these games caused too great a power demand
with the 4200.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 30th 03, 01:44 PM
Scott

You obviously have WAY too much time on your hands.....Dude

"Jdr" wrote in message =
"Dude" ? See what it means.
=20
dude /dud, djud/ n. & v. slang (orig. US). L19. [Prob. f. G dial. =3D =

fool
(cf. LG dudenkop 'stupid head').]
=20