Proliant 2000:Missing config-File on setup diskettes

Old February 9th 06, 08:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Proliant 2000:Missing config-File on setup diskettes

Some time ago I bought a defunct compaq server (what I believe is a
Proliant 2000) for scrap price. Initially I only wanted to use the case
but then I noticed only the graphics card was broken. Replaced it by the
same model whic I had as a spare part an the system started properly.
Then I thought it woul be a pity to scrap this nice old computer-
Of course NVRAM configuration was bad. So I downloaded the set of 4
configuration disks. Everything works fine until the setup utility asks
for the disk(s) with the configuration files.
It cannot find the !CPQ1599.cfg file (the very first file it asks for),
neither on disk2 nor on disk3.

Has anybody any idea to which piece of EISA hardware this file belongs?
I searched Google and Hp/Compaq-website, but couldnt find an answer.

Thanks
Old February 9th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I am sure I have never seen a 2000. I used to have a 2500...it was a
dual PPro machine. What are the specs on a 2000? I am also unable to
find anything like a "user manual" on the Compaq site. Doing a google
search leads me to believe that this server may actaully be 486
based!!!

Old February 10th 06, 02:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am sure I have never seen a 2000. I used to have a 2500...it was a
dual PPro machine. What are the specs on a 2000? I am also unable to
find anything like a "user manual" on the Compaq site. Doing a google
search leads me to believe that this server may actaully be 486
based!!!

he needs to DL smartstart 5.50 ... that will take care of the matter.

If you really want the specs, you can come to my storage facility downtown
and actually see 2 of 3 of them

Old February 10th 06, 03:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

The only references I could find indicated that Smartstart 4.30 was
required. I ask again, what are the specs of these machines? Are they
really set up with a pair of 486's? I have an unopened set of OS/2 that
I have been dying to install on SOMETHING.

You give me the address and the time and I will gladly take the train
downtown to see your facility. Hell, lunch is on me! (no kidding)

Jeffrey Alsip

Old February 10th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
I am sure I have never seen a 2000. I used to have a 2500...it was a
dual PPro machine. What are the specs on a 2000? I am also unable to
find anything like a "user manual" on the Compaq site. Doing a google
search leads me to believe that this server may actaully be 486
based!!!

Sir,

maybe this information will give you the required information to decide
wether it's a Proliant: 2000 or 2500:

- It's a rackmounted server for a 19"-Rack
- the motherboard has a sticker reading "Replace with spare part No.
165707-001". This means it is "Basepan assy,RM5U"
- However a spare part motherboard that looks exactly the same reads
"Replace with spare part No. 165677-001." This is a system I/O-board
(motherboard)for Proliant 2000/4000.

I will try to upload 2 images of the server and the motherboard later to
http://www.ralph-guenter-bruns.de/compaq/Proliant.html later this evening.
Old February 11th 06, 01:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Yeah thats one I haven't seen before. I can recognize the group of
eight ISA slots, but what are the four on the opposite end of the board
for? Do they accept processor cards? Does one slot hold a memory board?
Interesting.

In any case I can see that a CD Drive is installed, so you need to
download and burn a SmartStart 5.50 CD. This should solve the NVRAM
problems that you originally posted about. You can find the download
he

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...reg_R1002_USEN

So, Nutcracker, how about it? WIll this thing hold four 486 processor
cards and an additional memory card? I have mem boards and processor
cards from a PII 3000, and they will definitely not fit those slots.
The group of four slots almost look like an SDRAM kind of configuration.

Old February 11th 06, 04:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

[...]

The 4 slots that dont line up with the card knockouts in the back of the
server are for the processor modules. Yes, you could put 4x486 units in
there, or 4x66,4x100,4x133,4x166, or 4x200 Mhz.. The slot next to the 4
onboard memory slots is for a memory expansion card. You have to put memory
in those old beasts in 4's, as they leverage 4way interleaving.

By default, the 2000 can use 2 processors. However, on the SW1 switch, i
believe position 4 is "reserved" ... if you switch that on, you will be able
to put 4 cards in there.

I have 2 2000 servers, and 2 4000 servers in storage. Not much use these
days as there are no linuxes thta will run on the bus because there is no
SMP support for systems that dont have a PCI bus. There is also the issue
with getting SCSI controller support for the onboard NEC SCSI controller.

- LC

Old February 11th 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

So we can assume that he has two of the processor cards...but might
play hell finding two more. Maybe the picture gives an inaccurate
illusion of the spaces involved, but it doesn't look like there is a
whole lot of room for heatsinks on processor cards this close
together...especially the 200M processors would likely need heatsinks.
I do remember 486 systems with no heatsink whatsoever, until they were
clocked up to 100MHz or above.

I found some documents on the Compaq site that referred to NT4.0
running on this system. Is it safe to assume that Server 2000 would
also work...and handle four processors?

Old February 11th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
Yeah thats one I haven't seen before. I can recognize the group of
eight ISA slots, but what are the four on the opposite end of the board
for? Do they accept processor cards?

The four slots on the opposite side a r e for processor cards. The
question is, how much can I plug in? I tried to insert 4 at the same
time and the bios tried to initialize all of them but failed some times.
The reason might be I tried different cards ( I don't have 4 of a kind,
but all of them have Pentium processors onboard).
This is what you see when booting:

Initializing processor slot 2
Initializing processor slot 3
Initializing processor slot 4
178 - processor configuration invalid. ( I did not get this error
message when I rebooted the server)
(Seems like one card is definitely broken)

Does one slot hold a memory board?

Yes, there is a card inserted in this slot holding memory chips. Check
for my website occasionally. I have a spare part memory board (aquired
later with lots of other Proliant related stuff, when I decided not to
scrap the Proliant). I may upload additional pictures if you like.
Interesting.

In any case I can see that a CD Drive is installed, so you need to
download and burn a SmartStart 5.50 CD. This should solve the NVRAM
problems that you originally posted about. You can find the download
he

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...reg_R1002_USEN

I have tried different bootable CDs: Windows 2000Pro, Suse Linux 8.1
only getting the error message: CD not bootable on this system. May be
different with the smartstart CD.

I ordered a smartstart CD because I only have a low bandwith internet
connection and have to pay per connection time.
So, Nutcracker, how about it? WIll this thing hold four 486 processor
cards and an additional memory card?

I would like to know that too and will also check for manuals at the
HP/Compaq website.

Old February 12th 06, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we can assume that he has two of the processor cards...but might
play hell finding two more. Maybe the picture gives an inaccurate
illusion of the spaces involved, but it doesn't look like there is a
whole lot of room for heatsinks on processor cards this close
together...especially the 200M processors would likely need heatsinks.
I do remember 486 systems with no heatsink whatsoever, until they were
clocked up to 100MHz or above.

I found some documents on the Compaq site that referred to NT4.0
running on this system. Is it safe to assume that Server 2000 would
also work...and handle four processors?

Yes, it will run 2000. it wont do much with it, but it will run it. what can
you really do these days with 256 or 512M of ram ? Also, you would need all
ESIA cards. EISA NIC's, EISA array controllers, EISA scsi controllers ... it
all has to be EISA, or ISA ... but who wants an 8 bit card.

there are large passive heatsinks on the processors. also, there is what
looks like another processor on that board. Im not really sure what its used
for, but its needed for the SMP to work I think. I ran a P133OD chip on a
60/66 board for a while. but then the system started to say that the
processor failed. not good ...

Is My Burner Broken? ggroups2 General 3 August 12th 04 03:54 AM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Nero and dvd-r failure Blair Wilson Cdr 1 February 5th 04 07:23 AM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM