Need an All-In-One, Considering These Two

Old April 22nd 09, 07:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

Default Need an All-In-One, Considering These Two

Need a fax machine for (very) light duty faxing. My flat bed scanner and my
printer are both old enough to replace. All of my devices (printer,
scanner, fax) will see light duty but I still want very GOOD quality,
especially printing. Just don't have the room for a stand alone fax machine
so I need to do an AIO. I'd like to stay with Canon or HP. Auto duplex
printing is a must. So far the Canon MX850 and HP Pro 8500 are contenders.
Looking for advice (and/or warnings) about these two printers other
comparable suggestions.
Thanks,
Monica

Old April 22nd 09, 08:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

How about the HP Photosmart Premium Fax AIO? Has it been out long enough
for any feedback? The
"Maximum optimized color print resolution" is 9600x2400 on the Photosmart
AIO and 4800x1200 on the Office Jet
8500 prints on CDs/DVDs, has a LCD print view screen (don't need) and is a
little less expensive...hummmm.
Seems to have more features, prints at a higher res and costs less. Maybe
the quality isn't as good as the 8500?
Monica

Old April 22nd 09, 08:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On Apr 21, 11:54*pm, "Monica" wrote:
Need a fax machine for (very) light duty faxing. *My flat bed scanner and my
printer are both old enough to replace. *All of my devices (printer,
scanner, fax) will see light duty but I still want very GOOD quality,
especially printing. *Just don't have the room for a stand alone fax machine
so I need to do an AIO. *I'd like to stay with Canon or HP. *Auto duplex
printing is a must. *So far the Canon MX850 and HP Pro 8500 are contenders.
Looking for advice (and/or warnings) about these two printers other
comparable suggestions.
Thanks,
Monica

I have the older mp830 model. It lacks network and the extra 2pl
medium sized nozzles. The mx850 looks like it fetches more money over
the newer mx860, but newer isn't always better, they may have cut the
number of print nozzles and reduced the size of the cartridges. If
it's light duty, you might not notice the difference but if it's
anything like the ip4600 it'll cost a fair bit more per page.

If you don't have your heart set on networking, there is the mp530.
It has a smaller printhead than the mx850, but it at least costs
less. Amazon has it for like $150 or so. It's smaller.

Both the mx850 and mp530 have the option for CD printing.

The pgi-5bk black cartridge has a page yield of about 525 pages and
runs about $15ish or so. Typically it runs at about 3-3.2c/page for
the ink. This isn't bad. The HP 940XL is double the price and
quadrupedal the yield. This doesn't include print head cost for
either model, but I'd wager the running costs are lower on the HP by
33% to 50%.

A monochrome laser fax would be an option as well.

Old April 22nd 09, 03:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Don Phillipson[_4_]

"Monica" wrote in message

Need a fax machine for (very) light duty faxing. My flat bed scanner and

my
printer are both old enough to replace. All of my devices (printer,
scanner, fax) will see light duty but I still want very GOOD quality,

1. No one nowadays needs a fax machine as such. If you send
by fax several pages every day it is convenient to have a fax
machine. PC users can however do all this in software alone.

2. Printers and MFC are now so cheap your criteria may simply
be (#1) colour or monochrome? If long unused, laser printers do not
gum up like (some) idle inkjets. (#2) Whether a printer accepts
cheap (unbranded) refill inks and produces the quality you want.
My Brother 330 does so I have two of them.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old April 22nd 09, 07:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:19:40 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

"Monica" wrote in message

Need a fax machine for (very) light duty faxing. My flat bed scanner and

my
printer are both old enough to replace. All of my devices (printer,
scanner, fax) will see light duty but I still want very GOOD quality,

1. No one nowadays needs a fax machine as such. If you send
by fax several pages every day it is convenient to have a fax
machine. PC users can however do all this in software alone.

2. Printers and MFC are now so cheap your criteria may simply
be (#1) colour or monochrome? If long unused, laser printers do not
gum up like (some) idle inkjets. (#2) Whether a printer accepts
cheap (unbranded) refill inks and produces the quality you want.

Total Garbage

My Brother 330 does so I have two of them.

Old April 22nd 09, 07:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

"Monica" wrote in message

Need a fax machine for (very) light duty faxing. My flat bed scanner and

my
printer are both old enough to replace. All of my devices (printer,
scanner, fax) will see light duty but I still want very GOOD quality,

1. No one nowadays needs a fax machine as such. If you send
by fax several pages every day it is convenient to have a fax
machine. PC users can however do all this in software alone.

2. Printers and MFC are now so cheap your criteria may simply
be (#1) colour or monochrome? If long unused, laser printers do not
gum up like (some) idle inkjets. (#2) Whether a printer accepts
cheap (unbranded) refill inks and produces the quality you want.

Total Garbage

Yes...you are total garbage!

My Brother 330 does so I have two of them.

Old April 23rd 09, 04:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

I *think* maybe the 860 is wireless?? I don't need wireless or (or
networking for that matter) so the 850 would be fine. I have a ip4000
printer. Maybe it's me, but I've never been thrilled with the print
quality. It was my first Canon printer. Had HPs before that. Thanks for
the tip on the mp530. What does the difference in the size of the print
head mean to print quality? Canon doesn't show this AIO on their line up
page of Office AIOs. Glad to find another option. Could you point me to
the information that says both the 530 and 850 do CD printing? I'm not
finding it. Cost of consumables is certainly an issue, but which, of the
three I mentioned, would have the best print quality? A fax component is
what's driving this purchase but since I'm going to replace my current
printer and scanner, I need to focus on the quality of the printer and
scanner too.
I'm leaning towards the HP 8500 but sure love the look of the Canon
850...real technical isn't it? g

Old April 23rd 09, 04:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Monica

Don, I've been using the MS Fax software for years...no fax "machine".
Since getting a new computer in March, I've been having problems with
receiving faxes. Occasionally one will come thru but it's not at all
reliable.
I don't have a problem with using unbranded ink. I didn't do it in my HPs
but have in the Canon and haven't had any problems.