Recommendations for a new 19" LCD monitor?

Old August 20th 03, 03:39 PM
Toffly

Default Recommendations for a new 19" LCD monitor?

For more than a year now I've had to literally kick my old CRT monitor
very hard to make the image appear. This has called for some very
athletic moves, but I'm getting older and can't keep doing this
forever. And lately the green channel has died, so that everything
appears purple. So I'm going to buy a new monitor pretty soon.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheapish 19 inch LCD monitor?
I've seen a few seemingly good offers, for instance the
Fujitsu-Siemens X19-1 or the Hansol H950. Would anyone here advice
against these?

I want to play movies and sometimes fast games on it, so refresh rates
are important. But is 20 ms noticably better than 25 ms, as the
monitors above have? ADi A715 for instance, is down at 16 ms, would I
in fact be better off with a faster 17 inch monitor?
Old August 20th 03, 09:38 PM
MrToad

Toffly wrote:

For more than a year now I've had to literally kick my old CRT monitor
very hard to make the image appear. This has called for some very
athletic moves, but I'm getting older and can't keep doing this
forever. And lately the green channel has died, so that everything
appears purple. So I'm going to buy a new monitor pretty soon.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheapish 19 inch LCD monitor?
I've seen a few seemingly good offers, for instance the
Fujitsu-Siemens X19-1 or the Hansol H950. Would anyone here advice
against these?

I want to play movies and sometimes fast games on it, so refresh rates
are important. But is 20 ms noticably better than 25 ms, as the
monitors above have? ADi A715 for instance, is down at 16 ms, would I
in fact be better off with a faster 17 inch monitor?

Define "cheapish".
A decent 17" LCD will set you back $400....

LCD's don't have "refresh rates" like a CRT, they have "response time"
instead, 25ms will product an acceptable picture for gaming, while 28ms
can give you some ghosting, but as the response time goes down, the
price goes up....

I'd look at some reviews from numerous hardware sites and base my
selection from that, if I were you.

MrToad

Old August 21st 03, 12:25 PM
Toffly

Define "cheapish".
A decent 17" LCD will set you back $400....

Well, I live in Norway, and I still haven't found a reliable
connection between prices inn dollars and the price that shows up over
here. Translating by the currency rates, the X19-1 is priced at around
$660 here, but that's probably not the price in the rest of the world.

Maybe we should call it "Low-end-ish" instead...

LCD's don't have "refresh rates" like a CRT, they have "response time"
instead, 25ms will product an acceptable picture for gaming, while 28ms
can give you some ghosting, but as the response time goes down, the
price goes up....

Really? There's a visible difference between 25 and 28 ms??
Old August 24th 03, 01:30 PM
Toffly

Well, I went and bought me the Fujitsu-Siemens X19-1.

The specs seem good (25 ms response time, 500:1 contrast ratio, 1280 x
1024, 170 degrees viewing agle H and V, 250 cd/m2 brightness) and the
price is the best over here at least.

I haven't seen the image of it, but I can test it at home and get my
money back if I don't like the image. Since it seems to be such a new
model (I haven't found any online reviews of it) I can post my
judgement of it here later on.

problem with monitor blacking out (when it's cold) Rob General 4 August 17th 03 09:16 PM
Monitor going? Girgath General 3 August 12th 03 10:44 PM
problem with monitor blacking out Some One General 0 August 9th 03 11:51 PM
strange monitor phenomenon Vanguard General 0 July 26th 03 05:21 PM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM