Lexmark X125 driver crash problem

Old December 17th 03, 02:33 PM
Edward Bertsch

Default Lexmark X125 driver crash problem

I am using the X125 model Lexmark printer with windows 2000, and find that
the driver crashes - often more than once a day. When the driver crashes, I
can no longer print, until I reboot the computer. I know the driver has
crashed when the Lexmark "red diamond" turns in to a red letter "X" icon
instead (down in the system tray).

Lexmark "support" claims this is not a known problem (and have not
acknowledged that it is a problem, either) - even though others are having
the same issue:

see the web page
http://www.indix.org/lexmark_x125.html

where this problem is talked about.

Has anyone found a solution? Mine will be to return the printer to Sam's
club, and find something new, I think.

Old December 17th 03, 09:04 PM
Harvey Gratt

I assume that this is a usb connection and what is happening is that
communication is lost after several hours and/or days.

If so, this is a well known problem. In fact, I and others have
complained to Lexmark (in my case a DELL Dimension 4500 with the Lexmark
x125). Each blames the other.

In my opinion, the problem is with Lexmark. I know of no solution to
date. FWIW, below is a post I put on the DELL Forum site arouns a year
ago (note that I now do not feel that the Dell usb ports are the problem).

Harvey

I see this problem is still of concern. I had posted the same thing on a
Lexmark x125/Dell 4550 combination I bought for my son. I also see that
some threads on this subject are being deleted.

FWIW, after posting on the Dell Forum, the Dell USENET group and having
an email correspondance with Dell technical support, I have compiled the
following:

1. There appears to be a correlation with the rear USB ports and the
random loss of communication.

2. At least 1 person has indicated that they thought the problem related
to the scanner function which continuously polls the rear USB port
state. They feel the Dell rear ports are not reporting the correct state
(they "go to sleep").

3. Lexmark says not to use a hub - does this also mean the internal hub
on the machines?

4. Some people feel this is strictly a Lexmark driver issue since other
owners with other branded muti-function units do not appear to have the
problem. I have seen several posts to this effect.

5. There now appears to be a "fix" for the problem (download
driver/patch) for the x85 machines

6. Most puzzling of all, Dell tech support (via email correspondance)
indicates that they do have a problem with the rear USB ports on the
Dimension 4500/4550/8200/8250 machines. They call it an "underpowered
issue". Furthermore, they say that the Optiplex series does not appear
to have the problem (different motherboard/chip sets???). Is Dell tech
support correct or not???

So, If anyone can add to this confusion please do so! Maybe it will
eventually be resolved.

One question - does the x125 all-in-one have a new driver/patch "fix"
which works?

Thanks,
Harvey

Old January 17th 04, 12:22 AM
At

From: Edward Bertsch ) on 2003-12-17 06:34:00 PST

I am using the X125 model Lexmark printer with windows 2000, and find that
the driver crashes - often more than once a day. When the driver crashes, I
can no longer print, until I reboot the computer. I know the driver has
crashed when the Lexmark "red diamond" turns in to a red letter "X" icon
instead (down in the system tray).

Lexmark "support" claims this is not a known problem (and have not
acknowledged that it is a problem, either) - even though others are having
the same issue:

see the web page
http://www.indix.org/lexmark_x125.html

where this problem is talked about.

Problem: The LexMark X125 printer driver hangs after about 12-48 hours of
idle time. If you look at the LexMark icon on the system tray you see a red
"X" symbol.

Workaround: The way to recover is to kill type Ctrl-Alt-Del, find the
process LEX125SU and kill it. Then stop and re-start the Print Spooler
service (NET STOP "Print Spooler"; NET START "Print Spooler"). Then re-run
"\Program Files\...\Lexmark X125\LEX125SU.EXE". Reboot also works.

I wrote a batch script to do this using the PSKILL and PSSERVICE
command-line utilities from www.sysinternals.com.

Cause: The LEX125SU.EXE program has a resource leak. It leaks Win32 object
handles when left idle. It happens on XP, W2K, and W2K3. Eventually all
handles are exhausted and you see the red "X" in the system tray for the
Lexmark X125 icon.

LEX125SU is leaking a Win32 object called a "metered section". A metered
section is a like a critical section except it works across processes and is
able to count the number of times the critical section was entered.

You can see the leak if you run Process Explorer from SysInternals
(www.sysinternals.com). Click on LEX125SU.EXE and you will see hundreds of
object handles open with the names
\BaseNamedObjects\DKC_MSECT_EVT_OAcriticalTrans and
\BaseNamedObjects\DKC_MSECT_MMF_OAcriticalTrans. The number of open handles
grows until eventually too many handles are opened. Then when you try to
print it tries to open a named pipe to the print spooler but fails with
ERROR_TOO_MANY_OPEN_FILES. At that point the printer is effectively dead.

This is a very simple bug for the driver developers at LexMark to fix.

If I had the time (which I don't) I could apply a runtime patch to intercept
CreateMeteredSection() and redirect to a stub that caches and recycles an
already open handle.

This is *not* a Microsoft software bug, nor a hardware problem. It is a
LexMark driver bug.

Regards,
Alan Klietz
Algin Technology (www.algintech.com)

Old January 24th 04, 04:51 PM
spiderpete

"At" wrote in message ...
From: Edward Bertsch ) on 2003-12-17 06:34:00 PST

[...]

What the hell is going on with these guys over at Lexmark!

I too have the same freaking problem. I tried every driver I could
find and nothing.. I returned the printer to the store today but they
want a restocking fee, and they want to charge me for the print
cartridges. This makes up about 70% of the cost of the Lexmark and
I've only used for a couple of days.

On Lexmark side, they have been completely useless and clueless. If
ANY one has a patch for this issue, man, i'd be really greatfull.

And what's with the OS upgrade issue? Will this thing work with 2K3? I
don't think it will according to Lexmak's web site.

Can anyone help?

- spiderpete
"I've been royaly screwed by Lexmark"