Via KT600 chipset - Work with ECC/Registered memory?

Old November 23rd 04, 04:20 AM
Noozer

Default Via KT600 chipset - Work with ECC/Registered memory?

I should clarify... Not looking for ECC usage, etc... Just can I put an
ECC/Registered stick of PC3200 DDR into this mainboard and boot?

"Noozer" wrote in message
MSI KT6 Delta mainboard (VIA KT600 chipset). Will this board recognize and
use ECC/Registered memory?

I've a stick of OCZ here and this MSI board doesn't see it at all on boot.
If I put the memory into my Asus P4C800E-Dlx I just get three beeps and no
post on the screen. I know that the Asus mainboard should work with this,
even if it doesn't make use of the ECC.

Old November 25th 04, 08:02 AM
Matthew

Short answer is no; the ECC is actually a hardware check at the memory level
to make sure everything is running properly. If Im not mistaken I read on my
mobo (also a KT600 set) the ECC can actually damage or destroy the board. So
I probably wouldnt go there.

Old November 25th 04, 02:17 PM
Noozer

ECC should not do damage to any board... If it does it's a BAD design.

It's simply a ninth bit added to the data path. If it isn't used it should
just be ignored.

Same with registered memory (not the same as ECC). It could change the
timings enough not to work in a mainboard, but it shouldn't do damage.

Bottom line is, No - it will not work in the KT600 boards. It didn't work in
my Asus board either even though it should have. I'm guessing that
"automatic" timings don't take things like the registers into account and
that if I had manually set the timings it would have worked.

Memory worked fine in the Tyan dual Opteron board it was meant for.

ink.net...

"Noozer" wrote in message
MSI KT6 Delta mainboard (VIA KT600 chipset). Will this board recognize
and
use ECC/Registered memory?

I've a stick of OCZ here and this MSI board doesn't see it at all on
boot.
If I put the memory into my Asus P4C800E-Dlx I just get three beeps and
no
post on the screen. I know that the Asus mainboard should work with

this,
even if it doesn't make use of the ECC.

Last/Fastest cB0 stepped 'gray zone' Celerons work natively on Abit ZM6/BM6? pgtr General 15 July 9th 04 07:29 PM
DELL upgrade with Kingston Value RAM - will it work properly stromer General 0 January 31st 04 09:29 AM
Athlon 2600 & VIA KT600 chipset Remo General 3 January 27th 04 04:05 AM
Help with 440BX chipset Spajky General 1 October 25th 03 05:26 PM
Can't get two CD drives to work on XP machine Bruce General 2 September 5th 03 01:01 AM