Performance Comparison: Nvidia Fx 5200 or GeForce 4 Ti 4200

Old October 29th 04, 04:20 AM
Mac Cool

Falcon1209:

Im looking to spend no more than $110. $120 if its really necessary.
I was looking at this card
(http://gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductD...sku=VC-XFX-017) If
this is a bad deal please let me know.

Yes, it's a bad deal. That card is an LE and it will be slower than
your Ti4200. A full blown 5700 will run you around $165 new.

If you guys can find a better deal than this, Id love to hear it.

Here is a better deal, this card will be roughly half again faster than
your 4200. The retailer doesn't have a great rating but they have great
prices:
http://tinyurl.com/3qaq9 (this was a really long link)

Look for more deals he
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2236&p=3

These are cards that are faster than your 4200. Most are way out of your
budget if you buy new. Don't buy anything with an LE or SE appended to
it.
Nvidia 5700 Ultra, 5900XT, 5900, 6800
Radeon 9600 Pro, 9600XT, 9700Pro, 9800, 9800Pro

I had a Ti4200 and wanted a new card but couldn't really afford a $200
card. I decided to buy a used 5900XT. They can be found for $120-140.
Also look for Radeon 9700Pros, they can sometimes be found used for
$100-120.
--
Mac Cool
Old October 29th 04, 09:35 PM
Falcon1209

So I guess im gonna buy a TT GF4 HSF... but when i get it installed how do I
overclock it? I dont want to stress my card out too much because it sounds
really stressed right now (Just the fan. Can hear it all the way from
downstairs... not good for staying up late playing some games.)

And youre saying that my Gf4 right now is only worth replacing if i get a
card thats +$200? So when would be a good time to replace this card?

Thanx

Old October 29th 04, 10:06 PM
kony

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:35:33 GMT, "Falcon1209"
wrote:

So I guess im gonna buy a TT GF4 HSF... but when i get it installed how do I
overclock it? I dont want to stress my card out too much because it sounds
really stressed right now (Just the fan. Can hear it all the way from
downstairs... not good for staying up late playing some games.)

And youre saying that my Gf4 right now is only worth replacing if i get a
card thats +$200? So when would be a good time to replace this card?

Not necessarily $200, but the "used" FX5900XT would be a
large step up, and if you keep an eye out you might even
find them in the $150-160 range though currently the going
rate for a new one is $170, whether they'll drop in price or
the market will sell out at the lowest cost vendors is
anyone's guess.

Overclocking the GF4 depends on how much, how far you want
to push it. There are volt-mods to help increase memory and
core but as a start you can just see how far it'll go with
default voltage, no hardware modifications. To do that use
"coolbits" (google will find it easily) and try upping
frequency, shooting for somewhere around 300MHz GPU and
600MHz memory, +-30MHz, and go from there. 64MB cards seem
to o'c higher than 128MB, though that might've been earlier
in their lifecycle, towards the end they might've been
putting better memory on them simply because the state of
memory was that DDR was getting faster and even chips spec'd
to lower (higher ns speed) might clock higher than their
markings suggest. Just be sure that if you're pushing the
speed that your heatsink is on good, working properly.
Old October 30th 04, 02:26 AM
Mac Cool

Falcon1209:

And youre saying that my Gf4 right now is only worth replacing if i
get a card thats +$200?

Basically yeah. The Ti4200 cards were great cards and they are still great
for older games or games that are not pushing the envelope.

If you are willing to buy a used 5900XT, you can get them for around $140;
a used 9700 pro for around $120.
--
Mac Cool