All these complaints - why no one else?

Old July 8th 03, 06:40 PM
John Smith

Default All these complaints - why no one else?

Hi,

Many people who post here feel that Dell's customer support has gone down in
recent years? Now, the question I have is why haven't any other firms
stepped in to take over the mantle of number one PC seller from Dell?

In other words, why aren't people buying PCs from brands X, Y and Z rather
than from Dell? Is it because Dell make good PCs? Is it because of the price
of Dells and that no one else can make and sell PCs so cheap? Are people
simply loyal to Dell no matter what?

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on this,

J.

Old July 8th 03, 06:50 PM
HH

Probably cause Dell does make good PCs and the customer support from Brands
X, Y and Z has gone down as much or more. Check out the HP, Compaq and
Gateway NGs if you doubt it.
HH

Old July 8th 03, 07:00 PM
John Smith

Thanks HH,

No, I don't doubt what you are saying. I am just curious as to why people
buy Dells.

I have started making and selling my own custom made PCs - basically
building to order often for people who want a particular combination of
components. I have only made 3 so far and it is an enjoyable hobby - nothing
more. But in doing so I began to wonder why people still buy from Dell.

I am not knocking Dell in any way having bought numerous Dells in the past.
In the past they had an unrivalled combination of latest technology, price
and support. There was no reason to buy elsewhere.

J.

.. .

Old July 8th 03, 07:47 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"John Smith" wrote:

Thanks HH,

No, I don't doubt what you are saying. I am just curious as to why people
buy Dells.

I have started making and selling my own custom made PCs - basically
building to order often for people who want a particular combination of
components. I have only made 3 so far and it is an enjoyable hobby - nothing
more. But in doing so I began to wonder why people still buy from Dell.

And when you've built and sold a hundred, and find yourself spending
all your time answering questions rather than building new custom made
PC's for your new customers, so have to hire someone to build them,
thereby increasing your price for them so both you and your new
employee can get paid ...

That's why a lot of people I know who used to do such custom building
for their clients got out of the building part of the network design
business. Anyone I know still doing it recommends Dell, or Gateway,
or whoever, depending on the recommended computer specs. Then they go
to work setting up the network they designed for the customer once the
computers have arrived.

OJ III
Old July 8th 03, 07:49 PM
dstaffor[NoSpam]

John Smith wrote:

Hi,

Many people who post here feel that Dell's customer support has gone down in
recent years? Now, the question I have is why haven't any other firms
stepped in to take over the mantle of number one PC seller from Dell?

In other words, why aren't people buying PCs from brands X, Y and Z rather
than from Dell? Is it because Dell make good PCs? Is it because of the price
of Dells and that no one else can make and sell PCs so cheap? Are people
simply loyal to Dell no matter what?

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on this,

J.

From what I've gathered on various newsgroups that
pertain to a specific brand or product, you mostly
hear from the disgruntled folks and seldom from the
satisfied ones. It doesn't seem to matter whether
the newsgroup is about Ford, Chevy, Dell or Gateway
or (?), you'll always hear from those who have had
a bad experience. Among the legitimate complaints
you will also find a few trolls as well as folks
who somehow manage to break a perfectly good product.

Dave

Old July 8th 03, 08:29 PM
George W.

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:40:41 +0100, John Smith wrote:

Hi,

Many people who post here feel that Dell's customer support has gone down in
recent years. Now, the question I have is why haven't any other firms
stepped in to take over the mantle of number one PC seller from Dell?

Your question is based on a premise that posters to this group and
others like it are representative of the general Dell buying public. I
doubt that that's the case. First, if people are dissatisfied with
Dell support they're much more likely to share their opinions here
than those who haven't had problems. Second, I suspect that a
relatively small percentage of Dell buyers are even familiar with
Usenet.

My guess is that the overwhelming majority of Dell buyers are
satisfied with their purchase and haven't ever dealt with Dell
support. I fall into this catagory and judging by other posts here I
suspect others do as well. This isn't to say that some people haven't
had problems with Dell support. I'm sure they have. It's inevitable
to some degree with any company. But looking through recent posts I
think it's clear that most questions here have more to do with general
PC issues rather than anything specific to Dell.

Old July 8th 03, 08:49 PM
Steve

"HH" wrote:
Probably cause Dell does make good PCs and the customer support from Brands
X, Y and Z has gone down as much or more. Check out the HP, Compaq and
Gateway NGs if you doubt it.

True. Dell's new advertising: We possibly suck less than they do.

Old July 8th 03, 08:59 PM
TC

"John Smith" wrote in
:

Hi,

Many people who post here feel that Dell's customer support has gone
down in recent years? Now, the question I have is why haven't any
other firms stepped in to take over the mantle of number one PC seller
from Dell?

In other words, why aren't people buying PCs from brands X, Y and Z
rather than from Dell? Is it because Dell make good PCs? Is it because
of the price of Dells and that no one else can make and sell PCs so
cheap? Are people simply loyal to Dell no matter what?

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on this,

J.

/\/\/\/\/\
I found that I simply couldn't build a PC as cheaply as my 4500S or 4550
that would be their equal.

I could almost make it look close on paper.. but once I actually added
all the shipping and included a legitimate operating system (OEM even)
it was no contest.

One of my Dells has a Western Digital drive .. the other a Segate ...
one has Samsung and Crucial/Micron memory sticks in it .. the other
Samsung and Kingston. One has a Lite-On CD .. etc etc etc .. you get the
picture I guess.

On top of that ... the Dell desktops have state of the art cooling
systems (I don't need jet engines on the desks anymore to impress
anyone) ... both are drop dead attractive (have pop open cases) and I
don't have to assemble anything .. just plug them in and go about my
business.

I still enjoy PCs to some extent as a hobby and enjoy tinkering in this
regard but when the dust settles .. I need more of a first class
PC/network installation and not a hobby. IMHO .. if the primary purpose
of the PC is entertainment (browsing, games and benchmark boasting) then
heck ... building it yourself is half the fun.

I took the basic one year warranty on both of my machines and if
anything breaks during that period I will seek to have Dell (or their
designated local service group) replace it. Other than that I have no
interest in their service. Why on earth would I want to call "any" call
center and play phone/transfer tag with people who's only purpose in
life is to close my case and make me go away ?? (thats why they tell you
to reload half the time .. just to get you to go away ... as you will
get someone else when you call back and there is no case ticket number
to track individual performance ... just call volume per agent).

In all honesty .. if I really depended on "that" type of support from
anyone (not just a computer retailer) I probably would do everything in
my power to avoid owning the product.

I suspect that many/most people are not "that" upset about the poor
service you get everywhere today as it is the norm and not the
exception. If you run out of gas on the road .. you can get your butt
out of the car and go get some gas or you can pull out your cell phone
and talk to AAA ... to each their own I guess.

IMHO as always ...
campbell