Presasio 1692 won't boot. 4 beeps on power on.

Old October 22nd 04, 04:50 PM
Deepak

Default Presasio 1692 won't boot. 4 beeps on power on.

Hi,

I have a Presario 1692. It was last shutdown safely (from Windows 98) 2
days ago. Since yesterday though, it refuses to turn on. When powered on,
I can see the power lights come on, the CPU fan starts up, and I hear 4
medium (all the same length) beeps, and then nothing. Screen remains off
throughout.

I searched compaqs service site, including the page describing error
beep codes.. it doesn't mention anything about 4 beeps in a row.

Anyone here know what the problem might be? I tried taking out the extra
memory module that was installed last year, it didn't make a difference..

Thanks,
Deepak
Old October 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
HH

Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long. Have you
tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS? To remove it
you must:
1. Turn off the computer.

2. Disconnect the power cord.

3. Remove the battery pack.

4. Remove the Palmrest Cover with Touch Pad.

5. Remove the heatspreader.

6. Remove the keyboard.

7. Remove RTC battery for 30 seconds and replace it .

8. Reassemble the computer.

That would be the first thing I'd try.

HH

news

Old October 22nd 04, 10:19 PM
Deepak

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:36:45 -0400, HH wrote:

Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long.

Sorry, I didn't know that. Judging from what I have heard on desktops
before then, it is definately 4 short beeps.

Have you
tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS?

I tried that.. didn't do anything.. same problem still exists

Deepak
Old October 22nd 04, 10:48 PM
HH

Hmmm. Repeated short beeps often mean either RAM or video problems. Have
you tried holding the power switch down fr at least 4 seconds, then power
up?
HH

news

Old October 23rd 04, 12:04 AM
Deepak

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:48:08 -0400, HH wrote:

"Deepak" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:36:45 -0400, HH wrote:

Uh, there are no "medium" beeps. They are either short or long.

Sorry, I didn't know that. Judging from what I have heard on desktops
before then, it is definately 4 short beeps.

Have you
tried removing the RTC battery for 30 seconds to clear CMOS?

I tried that.. didn't do anything.. same problem still exists

Deepak

Hmmm. Repeated short beeps often mean either RAM or video problems. Have
you tried holding the power switch down fr at least 4 seconds, then power
up?
HH

Yep, did that too. Didn't work either. I am starting to think the board
may be dead. Would be nice if there was a way to confirm it though. I
wonder why the beep code is not on Compaq/HP's support site...

Deepak
Old October 24th 04, 12:20 AM
Kevin Childers

I did some web searching as well as looking through the Compaq site, but
no reference to "4" beeps either short or long. Odd in that respect. You
could go back to the old strip and replace items one at a time to see what
failed that way. As stated here before, I'd opt for a memory or video
issue.

KC
"Deepak" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:48:08 -0400, HH wrote:

news

PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
NF7-S power up problem Jeff Green Abit Motherboards 9 January 18th 04 07:06 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Ati Videocards 336 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Nvidia Videocards 336 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
No power light or boot starting with ATX switch. Reset starts it fine? Wayne Morgan General 2 July 14th 03 05:25 AM