Flash card reader: write problem...

Old May 30th 04, 07:25 PM
KILOWATT

Default Flash card reader: write problem...

Hi everyones! Thanks to read.
I've bought an internal Flash card reader/floppy drive combo that you can
see he http://www.directron.com/fa404.html I'm running it under
Windows98SE with the appropriate driver (Win2000/ME/XP doesn't need a
driver). I've cheated since i'll buy my digicam only in a week or two, but i
wanted to get done at setting up the card reader 1st. I've bought also an SD
256Mb card from Transcend. Tested the reader with a friend's Memory Stick
and could read his pictures without any problem. Later during the evening, i
did some tests with my 256Mb SD card. I tried to transfer files to it and
then discovered a problem. For a few files there's no problem, but when i
try to write hundreds of .jpg files (no i'm not exceding the capacity of the
card...!), i eventually end up by geting the message: "The directory or file
cannot be created" and the transfer stops. What have been transfered before
this error message appears is ok.

When i get this message, i can't add more files to the card. I've deleted
all the contents of the card, then retried. Got the same message. I thought
it was because of the file naming (because of french, i often use different
accented characters), so i copied the the files to a new folder, then with
ACDSee i did a batch rename for all the files, renaming them
000-001-002...and so on. When trying again to write those newly renamed
files, i get the same error. I'm able to write to the card a little more
files (about 300 out of 748, instead of the 153), but the write process
stops when the same amount of files have been transfered each time i try. I
don't have any clue. I've checked the supportFAQ section of Mitsumi's web
site, but could not find anything about this problem. Found instead the
deceiving message: "Important Notice for Mitsumi Product Owners:
Mitsumi does not offer repair services, repair parts, and does not have an
authorized repair shop." Well...nice! :-(
I'm searching on Google at the time i'm writing this, hoping that i'll find
something. Have any idea about my problem? Thanks for any useful replies.
--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old May 30th 04, 07:46 PM
Noozer

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
[...]

There is a limit of how many files you can put into a single directory...
Can you put folders onto the memory stick? Can you put more files into those
folders?

Old May 30th 04, 09:53 PM
FiSH

How about formatting the memory card first?

Interesting - I ordered one of those combo drives 2 days ago.

Old May 30th 04, 09:55 PM
RFJ

"Noozer" wrote in

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
[...]

There is a limit of 512 files in the Root directory of a FAT16 drive, but
no practical limit to the number of files in a directory (folder).

So to solve Kilowatt's problem, create a folder on the SD card and copy the
files into that.

Alternatively format the card as FAT32 which doesn't have the root
limitation - the disadvantage being that many digital cameras don't support
the FAT32 file system.

Old May 30th 04, 11:44 PM
KILOWATT

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

By searching on Google, i've found 2 interesting URLs: The following
describes a similar problem with someone's ZIP drive and the answer from
Iomega about his problem.
http://members.cox.net/nilshoke/Comp...ner%200301.htm
(scroll down to the section with the phrase: "Frank Fiederlein ran into a
strange problem with his 100 MB Zip drive..." )

This one also explains pretty much (so you did! :-) ) the cause of my
problem.
http://home.merlin.mb.ca/~kolson/tecnotes/19971103.html

Thanks anyway for your replies, since they confirmed that my problem was
exactly related to file system limitations. Now by copying the content to a
folder instead of the root, all the files are transfered without this error
message. Nice of you to reply so quickly...i appreciate!

Old May 31st 04, 01:19 AM
Gymmy Bob

Be sure to reformat the SD card in your camera before use! You may not get
any warning of impending doom for your photographs.

Old May 31st 04, 06:55 PM
FiSH

BACK TO THE BASICS, HUH?

Cool...it works. Thanks to the quikie from RF

Old June 1st 04, 12:19 AM
KILOWATT

Cool...it works. Thanks to the quikie from RF

Yes FiSH...you gonna' love this thing! ;-)

Good internal flash card reader... KILOWATT General 6 May 12th 04 01:41 AM
Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Compact Flash Reader USB Problem Stevesco General 1 November 30th 03 04:46 PM
USB/Firewire combo card problem Bruin General 0 November 8th 03 02:28 AM
USB flash card reader jams up larrymoencurly General 1 August 22nd 03 08:02 PM