VIVO quality on Radeon 9200 Vs 9600

Old July 21st 03, 08:21 AM
Gilligan Monger

Default VIVO quality on Radeon 9200 Vs 9600

A mate is after a graphics card with the primary aim of video playback and
capture. Given he only indulges in occasional gaming at 1024*768, I though a
low-mid range VIVO or AIW Radeon should be fine. Given his minimal gaming
requirements, the 128Mb 9200 VIVO at AU$169 (c. US$100) looked a good
proposition. However, as the 128Mb 9600Pro VIVO is available at $325 (c.
$200) it also looked a decent prospect, albeit at twice the price. I also
looked briefly at the Geforce 5600 VIVO's, but given the importance of video
playback and 2d quality, as well as the cooler quieter operation, I thought
the Radeon's look the best bet.

Anyhow, what it boils down to is, will the VIVO performance of the 9600Pro
be any better than that of the 9200? Obviously, the 3d performance of the
9200 will be considerably worse, but at half the price, he's probably
prepared to wear that so long as he can get decent quality captures. I was
under the impression that both use the exact same ATI Theatre chip, but
wasn't sure - can anyone confirm or deny this?

Any advice on obtaining decent quality video capture for as little outlay as
possible is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old July 21st 03, 11:41 AM
Ieuan Adams

"Gilligan Monger" wrote in message
. au...
[...]

Don't know if this be of any help but I'll stick my nose in anyway:-) Try
the ATI website (www.ati.com) for the specifications of each card, it might
say which version of the theatre chip each card uses, apologises if that
seems a little obvious and been done already. There's a very good 3rd party
ATI graphics card web site/forum (www.rage3d.com) where people with
considerably more knowledge of ATI cards than most post replies, try asking
there as well. Lastly web sites such as Tom's Hardware Guide
(www.tomshardware.com) often have reviews of these types of cards I suggest
try looking there. The only other thing I could suggest is considering a
Matrox card as well, I understand they have excellent 2d quality picture and
I think a line of cards designed for video work although their 3d
capabilities aren't as good as the ATI I think, but reviews of the cards
should tell you more.
Hope some of this helps,
Ieuan

---

Radeon 9600 or 9600 Pro for MCE 2005? Tiny Tim Homebuilt PC's 17 December 10th 04 02:16 AM
pc problems after g card upgrade + sp2 ben reed Homebuilt PC's 9 November 30th 04 02:04 AM
GigaByte Radeon 9200 vs. ATI Radeon 9200 doug blaisdell Homebuilt PC's 0 August 6th 03 04:15 AM
Radeon 9200 vivo Alex88 Ati Videocards 0 July 7th 03 08:16 PM
Want to replace a Radeon 7000 with a Radeon 9200 Jim Davis Ati Videocards 2 July 3rd 03 03:55 PM