Firewire 1394 not working since XP SP2

Old November 6th 04, 08:35 AM
Bubba

Default Firewire 1394 not working since XP SP2

Does anyone have a fix. XP doesn't recognize my DV camcorder since I
installed SP2

Old November 6th 04, 01:10 PM
Bubba

Also notice that 1394 is no longer in device manager but now shows "legacy
video capture device". Any ideas?

Old November 6th 04, 01:30 PM
Len

The rule of thumb has been to re-install the chipset drivers for your MB
(assuming it is an on-board device); uninstall the 1394 controller from
device manager and restart the computer.

SP2 has been known to effect some drivers and this may resolve the issue.
If it doesn't then ???

FWIW,
Len

Old November 6th 04, 07:09 PM
Pete D

Delete the driver and reboot it should recognised as a 1394 device, if not
then choose it manually.

What motherboard etc?

Old November 6th 04, 10:25 PM
Bubba

P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a firewire
driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.

Old November 7th 04, 06:05 AM
Z Man

"Bubba" wrote in message
P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a
firewire driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.

You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I also
use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this newsgroup, you
will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I myself had at least
one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A Firewire card is only about
$20 and will solve the problems.

There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
system.

Old November 8th 04, 03:12 AM
P2B

Bubba wrote:
It was working just fine until SP2. Other than that I'm happy with SP2

SP2 treats 1394 ports as network adapters and enables the firewall by
default. Possibly the SP2 firewall is getting in the way?

P2B

"Z Man" wrote in message
news

Old November 8th 04, 08:30 AM
Pete D

"Z Man" wrote in message
news

"Bubba" wrote in message
P4C800 DLX Mobo. XP SP2 device manager no longer offers option to remove
hardware drivers. Is there another way. Also can't seem to find a
firewire driver. Must be an inherent windows thing.

You might want to try a Firewire card. I am running SP2 with the same
motherboard and use Firewire all the time, particularly on my Ipod (I also
use a digital camcorder). If you check prior posts in this newsgroup, you
will find a lot of problems with the onboard Fireware. I myself had at
least one peripheral damaged by the onboard port. A Firewire card is only
about $20 and will solve the problems.

There is no specific driver for Firewire. It is built into the operating
system.

Yes there is, each manufacturer has their own, choose, update driver,
manually choose the OHCI 1394 driver or the Via 1394 driver, either will
work. SP2 should let you choose which one to use, you can also uninstall it,
if those options are not available then your installation is broken and I
suggest that you seriously think about a clean install.