New Build Hangs

Old February 21st 04, 06:41 AM
matt

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am looking into your suggestion, and I think you
maybe right. However, how come it only freezes/hangs when dealing with IE or
OE or dial up issues?? I would have thought video card snags would be
apparent at any time!

Any suggestions as to the right video card?? I do not have £300.00 to spend
however!1

Matty
"Pepperoni" wrote in message
You AGP does not support 2X.
http://directron.com/ic7max3.html
Shut it down until you have a compatible card. You may damage your

machine.

Physical Issues and Voltage Concerns

There are 3 main types of AGP slots: AGP 3.3V, AGP 1.5V, and AGP Pro.

Newer
motherboards are now using AGP 1.5V slots which will support AGP 4X video
cards. AGP 1.5V slots are also used with the newer AGP .8V (8X AGP) cards.
It is very important not to put a (AGP 1x/2x) 3.3V card in to a 1.5V slot

as
doing so will damage both the video card and motherboard. This isn't much

of
a concern with newer video cards because almost all of them are 1.5V AGP

4X
or .8V AGP 8X. It is a concern if you are trying to use an older video

card
to upgrade an older system.
http://directron.com/howtovideo.html

"Matt Newman" wrote in message
Hi Guys

A new PC build, consisting of ABIT IC7-MAX3 Mobo, P4 3.2Ghz (800Mhz), 2

512MB DDR400 RAM dual channel, Win xp Pro, Asus V8200 T2 64MB graphics,

2
80GB Maxtor SATA HDD (6l080J4) set as Raid 0 array (on SATA ports 1 and

2).

I configured the Raid ) array, formatted and installed WinXP Pro, and

then
all the drivers from my CDs (Mobo, Graphics, Modem). Then I loaded XP
Service Pack 1 from the microsoft disk. All was OK.I set up my internet
connection, but did not go online.
I then loaded Norton System Works 2004, then updated the virus

definitions
etc in full. All was still OK and did a bit of browsing.... nothing

extreme,
hotmail, dabs and renault sites .

Then I tried to run Messenger, added my hotmail address, and downloaded

the
update.

Ever since then I find the system randomly hangs (no mouse movement,
numberlock on keyboard does not work, screen frozen) when I use the dial

up
connection, IE6, or sometime OE6. The system requires a reboot through

the
reset switch.

I carried out a thorough virus check, with nothing found.

This is nearly a dream system (graphics to upgrade shortly) but as I

cant
browse its driving me mad. I really do use messenger.

Has anyone any ideas?? Please help!!

TVM in advance

Matty

Old February 21st 04, 07:58 PM
Matt Newman

Default New Build Hangs

Hi Guys

A new PC build, consisting of ABIT IC7-MAX3 Mobo, P4 3.2Ghz (800Mhz), 2 x
512MB DDR400 RAM dual channel, Win xp Pro, Asus V8200 T2 64MB graphics, 2 x

Old February 21st 04, 08:21 PM
Dave C.

[...]

If you can, use the system restore and go back to a point before norton
systemquirks. Errr, system works. -Dave

Old February 21st 04, 09:50 PM
JAD

hey good call pepper,, OP get rid of ' Norton System Worse' there are very few home
systems users that need something like that to maintain their machines.
Get a free Av (AVG is my preference) and be done....add to that ' spybot S&D ' and
' Highjackthis ' (both free) and your system will be ready for just about anything.
AVG being the only thing that needs to run in the background.

Old February 21st 04, 10:22 PM
Pepperoni

Well.......... I just installed an inexpensive card, merely to use the TV
Out for watching DVDs.
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=5981
It works well enough for my needs.

Old February 22nd 04, 10:07 AM
matt

I was thinking along the lines of the Radeon 9600XT. What do u think??

"Pepperoni" wrote in message
[...]

Windows xp sometimes hangs on startup Shiva General 3 February 11th 05 06:50 PM
Please help with new system - hangs when booting Windows 2000. Kevin Lawton Homebuilt PC's 7 April 14th 04 02:40 AM
New Build Hangs matt Homebuilt PC's 7 February 23rd 04 01:04 AM
build film editing system cronish Homebuilt PC's 11 February 12th 04 07:22 PM
Reasons to build own computer? Gus Mahler Homebuilt PC's 30 November 21st 03 05:54 PM