Ultra DMA

Old October 31st 04, 04:29 PM
Ayoub

are you 100% sure that the ide cable is connected with the blue end in the
m/board?
few have found that if it's the wrong way then the attached drives run in
udma2.
cheers

"Frank" wrote in message
news
WD DLG which is WD's diagnostic. You might have to change
the firmware to the UDMA that matches your ports. Use the
bootable floppy from WD.

Old October 31st 04, 08:58 PM
Ken

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:29:08 -0000, "Ayoub" wrote:

are you 100% sure that the ide cable is connected with the blue end
in the m/board?

Yes.

few have found that if it's the wrong way then the attached drives
run in udma2.
cheers

If I change to "compatibility mode" in BIOS it work with UDMA5
for my both drives on the primary IDE channel, but then my
CD player on secondary IDE channel disappear.
I think this is a problem in BIOS.
I'm going to flash a newer BIOS version some day.

Old November 1st 04, 07:58 PM
Bob Troll

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it and
install the standard ide controller provided from M$. See if that has any
effect.

Regards, Bob Troll

Old November 2nd 04, 09:38 AM
Ken

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:58:06 GMT, "Bob Troll"
wrote:

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it
and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
See if that has any effect.

Thanks. I would try every tips (but it would take time).

Old November 2nd 04, 11:30 AM
tom

wrote:

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it
and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
See if that has any effect.

Thanks. I would try every tips (but it would take time).

If u have more than 1 device per ide channel u cant have dma 5.
Its as simple as that. Ide is restricted in many ways, but its cheap.
I can only guess that another controller might help you best here.
Anything else is just a waste of time.

Tom
Old November 5th 04, 08:14 AM
Ken

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:30:46 +0100, tom wrote:

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it
and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
See if that has any effect.

Thanks. I would try every tips (but it would take time).

If u have more than 1 device per ide channel u cant have dma 5.
Its as simple as that.

I don't think that's right.
Yes I have 2 identical devices on the same IDE cable.
With only 1 device I also only get UDMA2.
If I configure BIOS for "compatibility mode" i got UDMA5
with both devices connected, how do you explain that?
UDMA5 with 2 hard disk on the same cable works!

Ide is restricted in many ways, but its cheap.
I can only guess that another controller might help you best here.
Anything else is just a waste of time.

No I don't think so. I have some BIOS problem or driver problem
with my old Windows 2000.

Old November 7th 04, 04:39 PM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

wrote:

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it
and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
See if that has any effect.

Thanks. I would try every tips (but it would take time).

If u have more than 1 device per ide channel u cant have dma 5.

Mmm? Please explain how I've got two UDMA 5 devices on my primary
IDE port now, then?

IOW - Err, no, you're wrong.

Its as simple as that. Ide is restricted in many ways, but its cheap.
I can only guess that another controller might help you best here.
Anything else is just a waste of time.

Listening to someone who has no idea what they're talking about is a
waste of time.

RwP

Old November 9th 04, 02:04 PM
Ken

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:00:13 +0000, Dr Teeth
wrote:

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove
it and install the standard ide controller provided from M$.
See if that has any effect.

If UDMA5 = DMA 133 it won't work as the MS driver does not
support that mode.

It works if I use "compatibility mode" in BIOS and therefore
the driver would be OK. (I wait i while to flash to new BIOS)

http://www.bay-wolf.com/harddrive.htm

Ultra DMA Mode 6 133 MB/s
Ultra DMA Mode 5 100 MB/s
Ultra DMA Mode 4 66 MB/s
Ultra DMA Mode 3 44 MB/s
Ultra DMA Mode 2 33 MB/s
Ultra DMA Mode 1 25 MB/s
Ultra DMA Mode 0 16 MB/s

Old November 14th 04, 01:54 AM
spodosaurus

wrote:

Ken If you are using the ide controller from Intel, try to remove it and
install the standard ide controller provided from M$. See if that has any
effect.

If UDMA5 = DMA 133 it won't work as the MS driver does not support
that mode.

UDMA5 = ATA100
UDMA6 = ATA133

Cheers,

Guy

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/