Ultra DMA

Old October 30th 04, 10:00 PM
Frank

WD DLG which is WD's diagnostic. You might have to change
the firmware to the UDMA that matches your ports. Use the
bootable floppy from WD.

Old October 31st 04, 12:37 AM
Spajky

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:57:01 +0200, Ken wrote:

Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
I don't know where to search.

To compare with others you can go to my site under comp/bench & there
you have also Sandra2001pro (stripped) DL to bench your HD setup to
get that index (you can see my bench of my old drive there too). Than
TELL me here the result in points you have got; I am very interested
in this result ; please do it for me .. :-) Thanks! (do that w/o any
background applications running if possible)...

If all 3 HDs are same capacity & RPMs what are index bench results;
just curious to see real life differences between UDMA modes on those
3 HDs ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old October 31st 04, 12:39 PM
Lazarus

"Ken" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:54:14 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus"
wrote:

Just thought of something else
You ARE using 80 wire ide cables arent you?

Yes. I even tried the working cable from my disk
that are in UDMA 5 mode now.
I'm going to interchange the disks and try every combinations.

Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
I don't know where to search.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html

It's an installation for drives and does not seems work only
for change from UDMA 2 to UDMA 5 on an existing working drive.

Isnt that what you want to do? Change your mode 2 drives to mode 5?

I thought your 2 drives were working and it was just the fact that they were
in mode 2 and you wanted them in mode 5?

Old October 31st 04, 12:48 PM
Ken

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:37:51 +0200, Spajky wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:57:01 +0200, Ken wrote:

Now it's done. All 3 disk and both cables can do UDMA 5.
The problem is in the software or the primary IDE port.
I don't know where to search.

To compare with others you can go to my site under comp/bench & there
you have also Sandra2001pro (stripped) DL to bench your HD setup to
get that index (you can see my bench of my old drive there too). Than
TELL me here the result in points you have got; I am very interested
in this result ; please do it for me .. :-) Thanks! (do that w/o any
background applications running if possible)...

Buffered read and write are a lot faster on the Promise controller!
The 8 MB cache make the drive a little faster.

If all 3 HDs are same capacity & RPMs what are index bench results;
just curious to see real life differences between UDMA modes
on those 3 HDs ...

Yes all 3 drives are this:
HD1 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD2 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD3 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 2MB cache.

-------------------------------
The first results is like this:

IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
HD1 8MB HD2 8MB HD3 2MB

30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1200 MB/s Buffered read
27 MB/s 29 MB/s 36 MB/s Sequential read
5 MB/s 7 MB/s 6 MB/s Random read
30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1240 MB/s Buffered write
29 MB/s 29 MB/s 35 MB/s Sequential write
8 MB/s 7 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
9 ms 8 ms 9 ms Average access time

-------------------------------
When swap HD2 and HD3:

IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
HD1 8MB HD3 2MB HD2 8MB

30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1550 MB/s Buffered read
27 MB/s 28 MB/s 38 MB/s Sequential read
5 MB/s 6 MB/s 7 MB/s Random read
30 MB/s 30 MB/s 1740 MB/s Buffered write
29 MB/s 29 MB/s 37 MB/s Sequential write
8 MB/s 7 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
9 ms 9 ms 8 ms Average access time

I made 2 test runs on every combination.
There was minor differences.

-------------------------
My computer:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 GHz
1024 MB ECC memory (2x512)

Old October 31st 04, 12:53 PM
Ken

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:39:54 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus"
wrote:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html

It's an installation for drives and does not seems work only
for change from UDMA 2 to UDMA 5 on an existing working drive.

Isnt that what you want to do? Change your mode 2 drives to mode 5?

I thought your 2 drives were working and it was just the fact
that they were in mode 2 and you wanted them in mode 5?

Yes, but that program from Seagate can't do that.

Old October 31st 04, 01:16 PM
Spajky

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:50:27 +0100, Ken wrote:

To compare with others you can go to my site under comp/bench & there
you have also Sandra2001pro (stripped) DL to bench your HD setup to
get that index (you can see my bench of my old drive there too). Than
TELL me here the result in points you have got; I am very interested
in this result ; please do it for me .. :-) Thanks! (do that w/o any
background applications running if possible)...

Yes all 3 drives are this:
HD1 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD2 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD3 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 2MB cache.

what about that mine sandra version drive index? Thanks!
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old October 31st 04, 04:09 PM
Ken

When I make changes in BIOS to "comatibility mode"
the Intel ICH5R change to Ultra DMA 5 for Primary IDE !
(but then the secondary IDE don't work and my CD unit is unusable)
I think all this this is att BIOS problem.

New tests:

All 3 drives are this:
HD1 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD2 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD3 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 2MB cache.

-------------------------------
The results is like this with UDMA5 on all ports.

Primary Primary Extra IDE port
IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
HD1 8MB HD2 8MB HD3 2MB

84 MB/s 82 MB/s 1633 MB/s Buffered read
37 MB/s 37 MB/s 36 MB/s Sequential read
6 MB/s 7 MB/s 6 MB/s Random read
72 MB/s 73 MB/s 1699 MB/s Buffered write
37 MB/s 37 MB/s 35 MB/s Sequential write
8 MB/s 7 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
9 ms 8 ms 9 ms Average access time

-------------------------------
When swap HD2 and HD3:

Primary Primary Extra IDE port
IDE master IDE slave IDE (one drive present)
Intel ICH5R Intel ICH5R Promise 378
HD1 8MB HD3 2MB HD2 8MB

84 MB/s 75 MB/s 1762 MB/s Buffered read
37 MB/s 36 MB/s 38 MB/s Sequential read
6 MB/s 6 MB/s 7 MB/s Random read
72 MB/s 66 MB/s 1636 MB/s Buffered write
37 MB/s 36 MB/s 37 MB/s Sequential write
8 MB/s 6 MB/s 8 MB/s Random write
9 ms 9 ms 8 ms Average access time

-------------------------
My computer:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 GHz
1024 MB ECC memory (2x512)
The Promise controller are on the motherboard.
BIOS version 1016

Old October 31st 04, 04:11 PM
Ken

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:37:51 +0200, Spajky wrote:

If all 3 HDs are same capacity & RPMs what are index bench results;
just curious to see real life differences between UDMA modes on
those 3 HDs ...

There is differences.

Old October 31st 04, 04:15 PM
Ken

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:16:36 +0100, Spajky wrote:

To compare with others you can go to my site under comp/bench & there
you have also Sandra2001pro (stripped) DL to bench your HD setup to
get that index (you can see my bench of my old drive there too). Than
TELL me here the result in points you have got; I am very interested
in this result ; please do it for me .. :-) Thanks! (do that w/o any
background applications running if possible)...

Yes all 3 drives are this:
HD1 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD2 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 8MB cache.
HD3 Seagate Barracuda V 7200rpm, 120GB, 2MB cache.

what about that mine sandra version drive index? Thanks!

Forgotten.