Removable harddrive racks, bad idea?

Old July 4th 03, 12:23 PM
Kb

Default Removable harddrive racks, bad idea?

Hi,

I'm about to buy a 80gb 7200rpm harddrive, either a Maxtor, seagate or WD, 2mb or 8mb cache, I
was thinking of getting
a removable harddrive rack for it, but then I got to thinking that these drives tend to run alittle hot,
and maybe it might be
a bad idea for my drives lifespan.

I was looking at a plastic one with one fan, like so:

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...quicklinx=2BB3

unfortunately there isnt any real info on it though. But I notice theres also metal ones with two fans
available, at rather
more expensive prices, which I think are rather too expensive - and possibly too noisy.
Any idea if a plastic one will be good enough? Or is even the metal one a bad idea for my drives
lifespan?

Thanks in adance

Old July 4th 03, 12:48 PM
erik

"Kb" schreef in bericht
[...]

I use plastic ones and added a quality fan myself.
No problem at all.

Old July 4th 03, 01:25 PM
philo

"Kb" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm about to buy a 80gb 7200rpm harddrive, either a Maxtor, seagate or WD,

2mb or 8mb cache, I
was thinking of getting
a removable harddrive rack for it, but then I got to thinking that these

drives tend to run alittle hot,
and maybe it might be
a bad idea for my drives lifespan.

I was looking at a plastic one with one fan, like so:

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-in...quicklinx=2BB3

unfortunately there isnt any real info on it though. But I notice theres

also metal ones with two fans
available, at rather
more expensive prices, which I think are rather too expensive - and

possibly too noisy.
Any idea if a plastic one will be good enough? Or is even the metal one a

bad idea for my drives
lifespan?

i've been using removable drive kits for several years
and they are great!

i use the cheap plastic ones and they work fine
except occcasionally the fans get a little noisy
but it only takes a few minutes to replace them

or do what the other poster did and just put in good ones
to begin with