Recommendations on video card for a non-gamer.

Old January 21st 04, 08:37 PM

Default Recommendations on video card for a non-gamer.

Greetings,

I am building a computer and am trying to choose a video card. All of
the reviews seem to cover the latest and greatest video cards for
gamers.

I would like to get some recommendations for video cards for a
non-gamer. I want top quality, but not necessarily top performance.

I appreciate you sharing your opinions.

Thanks
Old January 21st 04, 08:53 PM
jeffc

wrote in message

Greetings,

I am building a computer and am trying to choose a video card. All of
the reviews seem to cover the latest and greatest video cards for
gamers.

That's because gaming is a very popular use for graphic cards, but also
because they are some of the most demaning applications for video.

I would like to get some recommendations for video cards for a
non-gamer. I want top quality, but not necessarily top performance.

What are you going to use it for? What does "top quality" mean to you? If
it means reliability, then you're probably better off buying a motherboard
with built graphics (most nowadays have them) and simply using that. Very
little to worry about in terms of driver bugs, or overheating or failed
fans, etc. For example, the best quality fan in the world can't possibly be
better quality then no fan at all (assuming a fan isn't needed.)

Old January 22nd 04, 01:39 AM
JAD

I have had a Radeon 7500 AIW for a long time now (it plays all the games) and its real easy for recording and catching a few TV
shows while your working. 120.00$ at www.Mwave.com and others.

Old January 22nd 04, 12:34 PM
Ed Medlin

wrote in message

Greetings,

I am building a computer and am trying to choose a video card. All of
the reviews seem to cover the latest and greatest video cards for
gamers.

I would like to get some recommendations for video cards for a
non-gamer. I want top quality, but not necessarily top performance.

I appreciate you sharing your opinions.

Thanks

On-board video would do fine. Also, the Nvidia MX series or ATI AIW series
cards are priced low. I built a system for my wife's office and used the
on-board video and it has been going for several years now trouble free. It
was on a real el-cheapo MB too......forget the name actually. 40 or so
dollars was about all. OB sound and video and Duron 900 or thereabouts. All
she does are office apps and the occasional game of Mahjong so it handles
everything fine. Entire system was around 400 bucks with monitor and OEM XP.
That was a REAL budget system for that time.

Ed

---

Old January 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
JAD

nothing wrong with OB graphics... when your not a gamephile..

"Eric Tailor" wrote in message link.net...
jeffc wrote:

If it means reliability, then you're probably better off buying a
motherboard with built graphics (most nowadays have them) and simply
using that.

You could not give me a motherboard with built-in graphics.

Eric

Old January 22nd 04, 04:23 PM
jeffc

jeffc wrote:

If it means reliability, then you're probably better off buying a
motherboard with built graphics (most nowadays have them) and simply
using that.

You could not give me a motherboard with built-in graphics.

Are you a gamer? If so, then why did you poke your head out of your hole
with that comment?

Old January 22nd 04, 09:31 PM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Thu January 22 2004 11:01 am, JAD decided to enlighten us with:

nothing wrong with OB graphics... when your not a gamephile..

While I haven't played the latest 3d game that taxes your framerate, I have
played Madden 2004 on a 2.4 P4 system with Intel Extreme graphics and it
played fine as long as the resolution was 800x600 or less. If that's fine
with you, than onboard graphics aren't that bad. Me, I like a dedicated
graphics card because I like games. Favs: Madden, Max Payne, Ghost Recon.

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
4:28pm up 46 days 1:14, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.20, 0.13

My Windows XP machine uptime:
Something less...

Old January 23rd 04, 03:52 AM
Dennis Savatski