ATI Radeon cards choice?

Old January 21st 04, 07:18 PM
Christopher

Default ATI Radeon cards choice?

I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Old January 21st 04, 08:31 PM
Fitz

Based on reviews I have read, the performance of the 9800XT vs the 9800 Pro
(128MB) are not significant enough to warrant the extra money for the XT
(though it does outperform the Pro version, the extra performance comes at a
premium price). You may want to compromise, find a good deal on an OEM Pro
card and upgrade later. I have the 9800 Pro, and am very satisfied with the
performance.

Fitz

Old January 21st 04, 10:10 PM
Peter Ives

In article , Christopher
writes
I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Whatever you buy, whether now or in a couple of months, in 6 months time
it will have been overtaken by the next, latest and greatest GFX card to
have hit the scene. Unavoidable.
--
Peter Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email
Old January 22nd 04, 05:47 AM
Jon Danniken

"Christopher" wrote:
I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Actually its the R420s, and from what I hear they are already at the partners; I'm expecting
full boards going retail by late March/ early April.

Jon

Old January 22nd 04, 12:19 PM
Christopher

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:47:51 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Christopher" wrote:
I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Actually its the R420s, and from what I hear they are already at the partners; I'm expecting
full boards going retail by late March/ early April.

That would be as in 2005, right?

Old January 22nd 04, 12:19 PM
Christopher

wrote:

"Christopher" wrote:
I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Actually its the R420s, and from what I hear they are already at the partners; I'm expecting
full boards going retail by late March/ early April.

That would be as in 2005, right, or 2004?

Old January 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
Jon Danniken

"Christopher" wrote:
Jon Danniken" wrote:
"Christopher" wrote:
I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Actually its the R420s, and from what I hear they are already at the partners; I'm expecting
full boards going retail by late March/ early April.

That would be as in 2005, right, or 2004?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13693

Jon

Old January 23rd 04, 01:48 PM
Christopher

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:30:38 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Christopher" wrote:
Jon Danniken" wrote:
"Christopher" wrote:
I've just been looking through some forums regarding graphic cards,
and a few came out with some annoying news regarding the 9800xt card.

The radeon 9800xt is the current king of the hill, but ATI are working
on the R500 card as they have killed off the R400. As I was going to
start spending in a few weeks for the bit for my new PC, is it worth
my while getting an asus or sapphire 98000xt card, or wait for a bit
till it's successor comes out, as I'll be spending the thick end of
£400 on the thing, I don't want to buy now and regret later?

Actually its the R420s, and from what I hear they are already at the partners; I'm expecting
full boards going retail by late March/ early April.

That would be as in 2005, right, or 2004?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13693

Thanks Jon. Hmmm, April - May this year then, I'll have to keep an
eye out on the web for ATI's effort, we *might* be seeing the first
512mg graphic cards, sadly though, cutting edge graphic cards have
cutting edge prices, they'll probably be around £400 + for 256mg ones.

Graphics Cards Choice John General 4 January 2nd 05 03:13 AM
How noisy is the Radeon 9500 Pro and 9700 Pro cards? Mac Cool General 3 August 2nd 04 08:06 AM
NVIDIA nforce2 M/B chipset with Radeon Graphics cards Hm Homebuilt PC's 5 January 8th 04 07:34 PM
Radeon 9800 vs. 9800 Pro cards Davek Homebuilt PC's 5 August 25th 03 06:15 PM
Looking for a videocard/CPU/misc. parts, any suggestions? Cyde Weys General 9 July 12th 03 12:14 AM