Improved Overclock

Old October 18th 04, 02:42 AM
Rich Lowe

Default Improved Overclock

Hey all,

I bought a system a little over a month ago and just got back from
vacation to play with it some more. I have:

Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer (1MB Cache)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Crucial Ballistix PC3200 2x512

Here is the dealio, before I left I was having problems getting it to
overclock anywhere near what I had expected, but after some voltage
tweaks and such, I am back in business. I first had the FSB from 200
to 237 at the default CPU ratio of x10. My memory would instantly go
async with a FSB/DRAM ratio of CPU / 12, so my memory was only running
at 197.5Mhz. The problem with that is that I wanted to overclock my
memory too, since the ballistix can run up to DDR514 in several
benchmarks on this same motherboard. So my first question is, does
anyone know if it is possible to change the async ratio?

Now, today I finally looked up the tech sheets for the processor and
memory to see the rated voltages and realized that the voltages that
it defaulted to in the BIOS were actually much lower than it was rated
for, so I upped them near the highest range offered by the BIOS. The
memory had a default rated voltage of only .05V below the highest
available selection, so I just maxxed it at 2.85V. The CPU however is
rated at 1.5V default, but in order to do my most recent stable
overclock i upped it to 1.7V, which is 3 from the max in the BIOS.

Now, the best I have gotten so far is 247 FSB, x10 CPU ratio, but
still has the CPU / 12 FSB/DRAM ratio, which makes my memory run at
205.8Mhz. So barely an overclock compared to its potential. Do you
see my problem? I keep raising the FSB but it has little impact on my
memory speed. I can be satisfied with this as it is better than I was
getting, but if it is possible for me to improve it more, that would
be ten times better.

Sorry this was so long and thanks for any help!!

Rich