Obvious harddrive failure?

Old October 13th 03, 02:02 AM
Darren

Default Obvious harddrive failure?

Hi all,
I was in the middle of transferring about 20G of data over a 100m/b network
to another pc.
The recipient crashed with an error about a spindle(?) which I clicked on
'ok' and tried to resume.
After a minute, a BSOD screen came up, something about 'stop check
0000007x(?).

A reboot later and the drive no longers loads the OS.
Oh well, I have a ghost image of the drive. I boot up and try to fdisk the
drive and it crashes at 1%.

A gonner? This is Maxtor Diamond Max Plus9 120G ata/133 and was has a MFG
date of Aug 29/03.

At least its still under warranty. (-8

Old October 13th 03, 09:11 PM
Shep©

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:02:25 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Darren"
wrote :

Hi all,
I was in the middle of transferring about 20G of data over a 100m/b network
to another pc.
The recipient crashed with an error about a spindle(?) which I clicked on
'ok' and tried to resume.
After a minute, a BSOD screen came up, something about 'stop check
0000007x(?).

A reboot later and the drive no longers loads the OS.
Oh well, I have a ghost image of the drive. I boot up and try to fdisk the
drive and it crashes at 1%.

A gonner? This is Maxtor Diamond Max Plus9 120G ata/133 and was has a MFG
date of Aug 29/03.

At least its still under warranty. (-8

Run the free Maxtor,"Powermax" diagnostic,
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
They ask you to do this anyway before returning so they can then
honour their warranty.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,