Graphic card for Windows Server 2003

Old March 4th 08, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Francois PIETTE

Default Graphic card for Windows Server 2003

Hello !

I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard
Edition 32 bits.

The computer based on on an Intel D945GCNL mainboard will be used for
software development.

I need a card model with good performance (no need for top level performance
since it is not gaming), I need a resolution of 1600x1200 /and/ 1920x1200, I
would like to have the possibility to connect two LCD-VGA monitors for yet
better resolution (dual screen mode each of the above resolution).

Having a driver for Windows Server 2003 seems to be a big problem. Most
cards doesn't have such driver.

Which model would you recommand ?

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.overbyte.be

Old March 4th 08, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Francois PIETTE wrote:

Having a driver for Windows Server 2003 seems to be a big problem. Most
cards doesn't have such driver.

Lies.

Which model would you recommand ?

Any current card by any leading maker suits your 'purpose'.

Old March 5th 08, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard
Edition 32 bits.

The computer based on on an Intel D945GCNL mainboard will be used for
software development.

I think I see your problem.......do you know what the purpose of Windows
Server 2003 is? Why would you want to convert it to a workstation? Any card
will do.

Old March 5th 08, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Francois PIETTE wrote:
Hello !

I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2
Standard Edition 32 bits.

The computer based on on an Intel D945GCNL mainboard will be used for
software development.

I need a card model with good performance (no need for top level
performance since it is not gaming), I need a resolution of 1600x1200
/and/ 1920x1200, I would like to have the possibility to connect two
LCD-VGA monitors for yet better resolution (dual screen mode each of the
above resolution).

Having a driver for Windows Server 2003 seems to be a big problem. Most
cards doesn't have such driver.

Which model would you recommand ?

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.overbyte.be

"Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide"
http://web.archive.org/web/200308191...%20G uide.pdf

"Enable Hardware Acceleration

By default Windows Server 2003 is hardware acceleration disabled for graphics cards,
meaning only 2D and limited 3D capability is there. We can enable all this painlessly
and without much effort. You will still be required to install 3D enabled drivers (like
ATi Catalyst or nVIDIA Detonator drivers) for Windows 2000/XP. These can be installed
on Windows Server 2003 but only after hardware acceleration is enabled will they work
(and display the 3D related tabs in display properties) . "

HTH,
Paul
Old March 5th 08, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Francois PIETTE

I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2
Standard
Edition 32 bits.

The computer based on on an Intel D945GCNL mainboard will be used for
software development.

I think I see your problem.......do you know what the purpose of Windows
Server 2003 is? Why would you want to convert it to a workstation?

I don't like the way you answer and assume I'm an idiot. I perfectly know
what a server is and what a workstation is.

Have you ever /developped/ SERVER software ? Have ever had to debug your
software in a real situation, that is using the same OS as the customer will
use it ? Have you ever considered working confortably on a server ?

Any card will do.

Actually not. Altough you may use driver suitable for XP, you have an issue
with certification. The driver /may/ work, actually it looks like it is
working. But it has not been /certified/ for the OS. Do you know what
certification means ?

http://www.overbyte.be

Old March 5th 08, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Francois PIETTE

I need to buy a graphic card suitable for Windows Server 2003 R2
Standard Edition 32 bits.

The computer based on on an Intel D945GCNL mainboard will be used for
software development.

I need a card model with good performance (no need for top level
performance since it is not gaming), I need a resolution of 1600x1200
/and/ 1920x1200, I would like to have the possibility to connect two
LCD-VGA monitors for yet better resolution (dual screen mode each of the
above resolution).

Having a driver for Windows Server 2003 seems to be a big problem. Most
cards doesn't have such driver.

Which model would you recommand ?

"Windows Server 2003 as a Workstation Guide"

http://web.archive.org/web/200308191...%20G uide.pdf

Altough not directly related to my issue, this document is interesting.
Thanks.

http://www.overbyte.be

Old March 5th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Have you ever /developped/ SERVER software ? Have ever had to debug your
software in a real situation, that is using the same OS as the customer
will
use it ? Have you ever considered working confortably on a server ?

Yes. I have, and continue to do so actually. Every day. I work in the IT
department where the primary server OS used Windows Server 2003 and SQL
server. Not that you'll likely believe that anyway, however...if your're
trying to emulate end user and client servers to debug your code by
installing Windows Server 2003 ask yourself this question: How many clients
/ businesses have you ever seen in your life that run Windows Server 2003 on
a non-dedicated server? And how many clients have you got that use non-m/b
embedded video cards in their servers? And if client emulation is your
goal, why are not running your OS on an actual server and server board? The
board you mention has no RAID, no ECC memory, no Xeon support, etc. The
embedded IGMA 950 graphics supports up to 2048x1536. I've lost count of the
number of Windows Server 2000 and 2003 reisntalls I've done, and finding a
proper graphics driver has never been an issue.

Old March 5th 08, 09:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Francois Piette wrote:

Actually not. Altough you may use driver suitable for XP, you have an issue
with certification. The driver /may/ work, actually it looks like it is
working. But it has not been /certified/ for the OS. Do you know what
certification means ?

So, your question has been answered, "any card+driver will do". You
acknowledge that much.

But then you want to move the goal-posts and add an additional criteria
"Windows 2003 certified". Seems you have extra criteria hidden in your
noodle until you are ready to divulge it.

No wonder you won't ask Microsoft for their 2K+3 hardware compatibility
URL, they likely have dealt with you before and are ready for you!
Old March 5th 08, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Francois Piette wrote:
[...]

If you don't want to use a Win2000/XP driver to solve the problem,
then deal with a company that caters to your needs.

"Windows Server 2003" is mentioned in the list here.
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...nfo.php?id=230

Paul
Old March 6th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Oleg Vanoren" wrote in message
Augustus wrote:

Yes. I have, and continue to do so actually. Every day. I work in the IT
department where the primary server OS used Windows Server 2003 and SQL
server. Not that you'll likely believe that anyway, however...

I don't believe you either, numbnuts

How nice for you, I won't sleep at night now.