Max CPU

Old July 24th 06, 04:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Neil Barras

Default Max CPU

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying an IBM NetVista M41 Type 6792, and was wondering what
the maximum CPU was? The ones I have been looking at have either 1.6 or 1.8
P4s, running with a 400fsb on the 845 chipset. I would like to be able to
get a faster cpu in, preferrably 2.4GHz or above?

Thanks,

Neil

Old July 25th 06, 01:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:19:46 GMT, "Neil Barras"
wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying an IBM NetVista M41 Type 6792, and was wondering what
the maximum CPU was? The ones I have been looking at have either 1.6 or 1.8
P4s, running with a 400fsb on the 845 chipset. I would like to be able to
get a faster cpu in, preferrably 2.4GHz or above?

Thanks,

Neil

What a piece of crap - I would only take one of these for free, and
even then think if I want to replace my K6-3 600 with this.

NNN

Old July 25th 06, 03:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Neil Barras

What a piece of crap - I would only take one of these for free, and
even then think if I want to replace my K6-3 600 with this.

NNN

Ok...Any helpful and intelligent answers that actually ANSWER THE ORIGINAL
QUESTION?

Old July 26th 06, 02:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Tony Hill

wrote:

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying an IBM NetVista M41 Type 6792, and was wondering what
the maximum CPU was? The ones I have been looking at have either 1.6 or 1.8
P4s, running with a 400fsb on the 845 chipset. I would like to be able to
get a faster cpu in, preferrably 2.4GHz or above?

Upgrading processors in systems from big OEMs is somewhat tricky at
the best of times. Usually they have a fairly narrow spec of what
they will allow. Even if the chipset would theoretically support
faster chips, the voltage regulators and the BIOS might not. For your
specific situation, only IBM is able to provide an answer. Check out
this link:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-39142

This shows that the fastest processor they have listed is a 2.2GHz
Northwood. On the other hand, going to Powerleap (a company that
sells processor upgrades) and tossing this system into their search:

http://www.powerleap.com/SystemSearch.html

This pops out a result of a 2.8GHz Northwood (400MT/s bus speed).

Note that either way you probably don't want to be spending a whole
lot of money on a fairly dated system like this. I certainly wouldn't
spend more than $150 or so.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old July 26th 06, 08:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Neil Barras

Thanks Tony, just what I needed to know.

Old July 27th 06, 03:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:00:15 GMT, "Neil Barras"
wrote:

What a piece of crap - I would only take one of these for free, and
even then think if I want to replace my K6-3 600 with this.

NNN

Ok...Any helpful and intelligent answers that actually ANSWER THE ORIGINAL
QUESTION?

Is the advise not to waste any money on this crap intelligent enough?
Well, it's up to you to consider it helpful or not.
Regards,
NNN