Unimportant curisoty about availability of XP2500

Old August 4th 03, 08:16 PM
Ted K

Default Unimportant curisoty about availability of XP2500

I read a lot of ads in a variety of publications. It seems that most
of them offer the XP2400 and XP2600 but not the 2500.

Its absence in so many vendor ads arouses my curiosity.

Any comments?
Old August 5th 03, 03:19 AM
Peter van der Goes

"Ted K" wrote in message
I read a lot of ads in a variety of publications. It seems that most
of them offer the XP2400 and XP2600 but not the 2500.

Its absence in so many vendor ads arouses my curiosity.

Any comments?

My guess: great popularity, therefore hard to keep in stock.
A sub $100 US XP2500+ Barton is a great bargain as it's ridiculously easy to
overclock to XP3200+ speed, and runs happily on a 200MHz FSB vs. the 166MHz
default.
I have two of these puppies, one in an older Epox KT333 mobo at 166x12.5 and
the other on an NForce2 Asus at 200x11. Both are dead reliable with no
voltage tweaks.

Old August 7th 03, 01:01 AM
Ted K

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 02:19:52 GMT, "Peter van der Goes"
wrote:

"Ted K" wrote in message
.. .
I read a lot of ads in a variety of publications. It seems that most
of them offer the XP2400 and XP2600 but not the 2500.

Its absence in so many vendor ads arouses my curiosity.

Any comments?

My guess: great popularity, therefore hard to keep in stock.
A sub $100 US XP2500+ Barton is a great bargain as it's ridiculously easy to
overclock to XP3200+ speed, and runs happily on a 200MHz FSB vs. the 166MHz
default.
I have two of these puppies, one in an older Epox KT333 mobo at 166x12.5 and
the other on an NForce2 Asus at 200x11. Both are dead reliable with no
voltage tweaks.

That sounds like a well-educated guess to me. I'm toying with the
idea of getting a more up-to-date system using the XP2500 and an Asus
A7N8X Deluxe board.

I built my existing system in Dec 1998 with an FIC 2013 motherboard
and an AMD K6-2 350mh cpu. (I think I hear the guffaws from the
gamers.)

What deters me from going ahead with the project (in addition to the
investment) is that I am not into gaming. My main usage is word
processing and picture editing, and I'm not sure that it's worth it to
go to the additional expense. But I digress.

I have been listneing to this group and the ASUS group, and I
concluded that the XP2500 was an optimum buy.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the chip. I save msgs like
this to bolster my confidence in thinking about tackling another
build.