very slow at boot up and shut down

Old September 22nd 05, 12:05 PM
bullseye

Default very slow at boot up and shut down

Using a Dell 4100, 1 gig PIII, 80 gig hard drive, Win 2k pro, 512 megs
ram. This trusted machine is slowing down. I defrag and scandisk
regularly (every week to two weeks) but boot up time is getting closer
to 3 minutes. Where would I check and what would I check for to speed
this up? I use StartCPL to minimize the number of programs that launch
at startup. I looked in Services under Control Panel, and there are
only about 40 applications listed and most look they are OS items. I
have GoGoData, All-in-one SECRETMAKER, ZoneAlarm, McAfee, HDD
Temperature, Internet Explorer, and Firefox launching at startup.
--

If you wish to reply using e-mail, please add the number 35 after bullseye.
Old September 22nd 05, 02:29 PM
Ben Myers

Right click on the C: drive icon, click Properties, then click the Disk Cleanup
button. Get rid of all the junk there and see what happens.

If you still think the system is too slow, enter %TEMP% in the Run dialog box
and delete all the files there.

Get rid of the stuff to launch IE and Firefox at startup. They hog precious
memory with only a small payback in speed... Ben Myers

Old September 22nd 05, 06:30 PM
bullseye

I had done that already.

Ben Myers wrote:
[...]

If you wish to reply using e-mail, please add a 35 (the number) after
bullseye.
Old September 22nd 05, 09:52 PM
Colin Wilson

Using a Dell 4100, 1 gig PIII, 80 gig hard drive, Win 2k pro, 512 megs
ram. This trusted machine is slowing down. I defrag and scandisk
regularly (every week to two weeks) but boot up time is getting closer
to 3 minutes.

Try CrapCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com - it finds quite a lot of
clutter the first time you run it (in my case 60Mb) - but its usually
something more manageable now, about 5Mb a time...

Have you scanned for spy/malware ?

I`ve got some pointers on my website http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

Its well worth disabling McAfee temporarily and running the Sysclean
virus scanner - its a very good "one shot" virus checker from Trend -
its linked from the bottom of the second page, and uses the latest virus
database their full commercial product uses.

Other than that, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, CWShredder, and last but
not least if you see no difference, HijackThis! (when used in
conjunction with http://www.hijackthis.de it can help you check out
suspicious entries quite quickly, just take the results with a pinch of
salt and use some common sense / google if you`re not sure)

How about clearing crap from the registry ? - ccleaner has an option to
look for "issues" (like missing file associations), but others like
EasyCleaner (if you can find an older non-commercial version) can do a
better job. I can send an older version if you drop me a line per my sig
below...

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Old September 23rd 05, 12:51 AM
Ben Myers

EasyCleaner 2.0 is still a free download. I use it a lot. Very nice bit of
software... Ben Myers

Old September 23rd 05, 07:43 AM
Colin Wilson

EasyCleaner 2.0 is still a free download. I use it a lot. Very nice bit of
software... Ben Myers

Last time I looked he wanted a subscription to grab it - I might update
mine then :-) - thanks for the info

Old September 23rd 05, 10:54 AM
Hank Arnold

Remove all autostarting programs and see what happens. If it improves,
re-enable them one by one until you know what is causing it. Be sure to
enable the AV and firewall first (and quickly).

Also, get SpyBot Search & Destroy, Ad Aware and Spy Sweeper. The first two
are free and the last is good for one update and 30 days. Install them,
update them for the latest signatures and run scans. I think you'll be
surprised at what they find.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old September 23rd 05, 01:49 PM
bullseye

I ran CCleaner (deleting over 200MB), Ad-Aware, Spybot (without the
Teatimer as it interferes with McAfee), defragged and scanned. Ad-Aware
and Spybot's scans came clean. I was unable to download Easycleaner
(but CCleaner seems to do the same?). The system is showing a minor
improvement (a faster shutdown) but boot up still takes over 2 minutes,
sometimes 2 and a half. Strange. Thanking all for the continuing
feedback.

Old September 23rd 05, 06:20 PM
Colin Wilson

I ran CCleaner (deleting over 200MB), Ad-Aware, Spybot (without the
Teatimer as it interferes with McAfee), defragged and scanned. Ad-Aware
and Spybot's scans came clean. I was unable to download Easycleaner
(but CCleaner seems to do the same?).

Easycleaner has a registry cleaner that can clear out a few more
redundant entries than ccleaner does - I just a side-by-side comparison,
and ccleaner actually highlighted more to delete, but it was
highlighting different things, so it might be worth trying both anyway !

The system is showing a minor improvement (a faster shutdown) but boot
up still takes over 2 minutes, sometimes 2 and a half. Strange.
Thanking all for the continuing feedback.

We`re getting somewhere at least :-}

Did you try Sysclean at all ?

Old September 23rd 05, 10:41 PM
bullseye

I went to this site again
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/dwnloads.htm and downloaded
EasyCleaner again and this time the install was a success. It is
running now so we shall see. I installed Sysclean but it requires a few
steps that I have found difficult to follow.

However, CCleaner is aggressive. At several websites I subscribe to, I
lost saved cookies and settings after the cleaning.... Thanks again for
following up.