Matrox RT.X100 and ATI Radeon 9800 conflict? No POST screen on boot.

Old May 11th 04, 11:34 PM
FilmPuppet

Default Matrox RT.X100 and ATI Radeon 9800 conflict? No POST screen on boot.

My configuration:

ASUS A7N8X-E mobo
AMD Athlon 2.08 Ghz
1.5 GB RAM
2 80 GB drives (SATA RAID 1)
2 120 GB IDE drives
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme
Windows XP Pro SP1 and latest patches

I have been all around ATI, Matrox, and ASUS support looking for an
answer to this problem and at this point, I'm completely lost.

Whenever the Matrox card is in the machine, the machine will boot up
but there will be no POST screen. It's completely black up until it
gets to the Windows logon screen. Once logged on, the Matrox card
appears to work fine within Adobe Premiere Pro. However, the ATI
Radeon 9800 card loses the ability to use the TV Tuner feature. When
the Matrox card is pulled out, the POST screen is restored and the ATI
card works fine with all features including the TV Tuner.

I've installed all the latest drivers for the ATI Radeon and the mobo
is completely updated with the latest BIOS.

I've been told several different things to what could be the problem.
One tech said that the BIOS is just too small to accomodate all of the
components that it's trying to load.. so the TV Tuner functionality
just gets left out as well as the POST. He suggested proving this fact
by removing 1 GB of memory as a troubleshooting step. This way the
BIOS wouldn't have so much memory to load and would have more room for
the peripherials I have installed. Sounded like a good idea, but this
didn't work. I couldn't prove the tech was right. He also suggested
reducing the AGP Apeture setting in the BIOS and disabling unused
devices in the BIOS. None of which worked.

Another tech suggested that the WDM drivers that are installed with
the ATI Radeon card are conflicting with the capture card drivers used
by the Matrox. I completely uninstalle all the capture card drivers on
the ATI Radeon card and just installed the graphic driver. Same issue
when I install the Matrox card, nothing but black screen up until I
get to the Windows logon. Log on fine and the Matrox card works fine.
This time I didn't install the TV Tuner portion of the card and I had
the same issue.

Well, I'm at wits end over this and I'm entertaining one of several
options... get a new graphics card without TV tuner (no guarantee
that'll solve the issue once the Matrox card is installed), or trade
in my Matrox and try a DV Storm from Canopus (which I don't want to
do, but will if that's the only option), or third.. just live with it
having no POST, no graphics card features, but at least getting the
Matrox to work fine in Premiere.

Please if anyone has had similar difficulties I have to know what you
did to resolve it. I'm about to pull my hair over this.

All answers are very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Brand=
Model=
Motherboard= ASUS 47N8X-E
Processor= AMD Athlon XP 2800