Gaming card from Matrox?

Old August 21st 03, 08:44 AM
Rick

Default Gaming card from Matrox?

"God" wrote in message . ..
Just wondering, is Matrox going to come out with a fast 3D card?

Forget it. Matrox jumped off the 3D merry-go-round ages ago and
from all reports they aren't planning to jump back on.

I'm using ATI now, as always, but I really like the crispness of my friend's
Parhelia.

The differences, at least at lower screen resolutions between Matrox
and ATI/nVidia are exaggerated. In fact, in the comparative reviews
I've read in the past year or so Matrox was not rated highest in 2D
display quality, except at resolutions over 1600x1200.

If you're running the ATI at a very high refresh rate try lowering it to
something reasonable (75 or 85Hz) and see if your image improves.

However, it doesn't even compare to the speed of my 8500DV (the slowest of
all 8500) for gaming.

I know Matrox does not aim their vidcards at gaming, but it would be nice if
they would release a really fast card that would be competitive to the newer
nVidias or ATIs.

It's not just a question of speed. Matrox has struggled to come up
with a compatible OpenGL ICD for at least the last five years. The
G200 was a 3D disaster, and the G400/450/550 equally so. By now,
when you see the little notation on a game box about "OpenGL
compatible card required", what that means is, you better be running
either nVidia or ATI.

(Besides, Matrox is a Quebec-based company, located in Montreal, so I'd
rather give them my hard-earned money instead of ATI (which is in
Ontario)...

I have a G200 in my dual monitor setup (along with my DV), and the quality
is a little better than ATI's...

If I could get both Quality and framerate, I would be really pleased

If you can't get acceptable 2D display quality with the G200 try a
G450, which is (or at least was) available in PCI format.

Rick

Old August 21st 03, 06:01 PM
Tod

I've been a Matrox fan for about 7 years.
Currently there are not even rumors of Matrox coming out with a "3D gaming"
card.
Currently using a Sapphire ATI 9100, gives me about 95% of the 2D of the
Matrox G400
I use to use.

. ..