BFG 6800GT OC VS 7800GT

Old December 7th 05, 05:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default BFG 6800GT OC VS 7800GT

Well... sounds like you are satisfied with your current setup as far as
how it performs in games. Are you using a small monitor or super old
games? I'm asking that question because I'm running a 6800GT on an Opteron
250 (FX-53) setup with 2 gig RAM and two 24" Dell LCDs and in PlanetSide
(an MMO FPS game), at wide screen high resolution, if I want high Frames
Per Second, especially while flying a jet, I need to turn down quite a few
of the graphics options. And PlanetSide is not a new game. So I'm drooling
over the new 512MB 7800 GTX.

Doom 3 and Far Cry were the most graphic intensive, I think. Both played
fine at high graphic levels.

Now for you, the question is more than just "do you trade out your 6800GT
for something better because of the AGP vs. PCI-E issue. If you are going
to upgrade, almost anyone would tell you to get a MB with PCI-E. And I
haven't heard of any good motherboards that combine AGP & PCI-E. The only
ones I heard of - I heard bad things about.

I can get a good AGP board *now* that will handle both my new CPU and my
existing video card. The next upgrade will most definitely require a new
video card, thus a new technology on a new mobo. But not this one, AFAIK.
I agree that PCI-E is the *now*, who knows about the future. I can save
$500 by keeping my existing video card and buying an AGP8X mobo that will
handle my new CPU.

Old December 7th 05, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Dave Zass schrieb:

I would buy a new video card with an old interface if 1) I had the old
interface already, and 2) the video card met my needs.

But be aware that this would mean you have to upgrade your system again
when the new video card gets too slow...

My point is, I don't know whether I should shell out $500 for a 7800GT when
I have a 6800GT that works fine.

500US$? Are they really that expensive where you live?

7800GTs are in the ~350EUR range here in Germany...

I still haven't read anything compelling
as to why it would be a good idea. I'd gladly buy a new mobo with an old
interface if it made sense to keep using my current video card, thus saving
$500.

I sold my PNY 6800GT AGP on ebay and got half the money for it that I
needed to buy my current card (PNY 7800GTX 256MB, cost me 419EUR from
Amazon)...

Benjamin
Old December 7th 05, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

GT-Force schrieb:

Hmmm, isn't there an AGP-PCIe bridge being sold? With that you should be
able to install your AGP card onto a PCIe motherboard. This may be an
urban-legend though, since I, myself, did not double check it.

Yes, there is. It is sold to gfx card manufacturers to be able to build
AGP cards from PCIe GPUs like Geforce 6600/6600GT etc..

There is no (and there never will be!) adapter that lets you put an AGP
card in a PCIe mobo, though...

Benjamin
Old December 7th 05, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:22:21 -0500, Dave Zass wrote:

Remember, your TIME is valuable. Yet another reason to upgrade BIG when
you upgrade, so you can put it off longer until the next upgrade. And
bonus, in the mean time you enjoy game playing with higher rez and more
eye candy turned on!

I've got all of my eye candy turned on with my 6800GT. I would have never
asked for opinions if I was upgrading from a much older card.

In what games? You won't be able to in newer games.

I can't play at 1600x1200 (native res on Dell 2001FP) with everything
turned on in Quake 4 and FEAR (I generally drop them down to 1280x1024 or
1024x768).

(Of course, Republic Commando, Far Cry, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 all work
great :-) )

And I have the same gfx card as you.

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2

Old December 8th 05, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

So, what is this?

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/n...sp?news_id=167

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/09/12/al...rds/index.html

http://www.nforcershq.com/article3334.html

Google is your friend

GT

Old December 8th 05, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

GT-Force schrieb:

So, what is this?

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/n...sp?news_id=167

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/09/12/al...rds/index.html

http://www.nforcershq.com/article3334.html

Nice idea. But maybe you realized that this works for low profile cards
only, and not for generic full-size AGP cards. Try to put a GF6800 on
that thing ;-)

With low profile cards you have enough room to use such a brigde, but
since most low profile cards are made from passive coolable low end
cards like Radeon 7000, GF2MX, GF4MX, GF FX5200 or ATI Radeon 9200SE the
value for such a thing is extremely limited, especially since PCIe low
profile cards like ATI X300s or GF 6200s are not more expensive than
this adapter probably is...

But that doesn't change anything that you won't find an adapter to use a
generic AGP gfx card in a PCIe (PEG) slot, simply because with
"grown-up" cards it's not possible mechanically...

Benjamin
Old December 11th 05, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

500US$? Are they really that expensive where you live?

7800GTs are in the ~350EUR range here in Germany...

$500 for the 7800 GTX, actually. $350 for the 7800GT.

Old December 12th 05, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hi again,

You clearly have a problem with reading, don't you?

First, you claimed that "There is no (and there never will be!) adapter that
lets you put an AGP card in a PCIe mobo", and then when I sent the proof,
you wrote "this works for low profile cards only, and not for generic
full-size AGP cards. Try to put a GF6800 on that thing". This only shows
that you do not read, or you do not read properly.

Here is an excerpt from one of the the links (
http://www.nforcershq.com/article3334.html ) that I included in my reply

"
ATOP requires a mainboard with an empty x16 PCI-Express slot and supports
the Albatron AGP cards in the following series:
- FX5200 Series
- MX4000 Series
- FX5700LE Series
- AGP6200 Series
- FX5700 Series
- FX5900XT Series
- 6800 Series
"

Now read carefully the last item in the list. I hope this helps.

The things you can learn once you start reading...

GT-Force

Old December 12th 05, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Now read carefully the last item in the list. I hope this helps.

The things you can learn once you start reading...

You conveniently left out the following:

"Note that some models in each of the series listed above are low-profile
and some are not.
The models that are NOT designated as low-profile, when used with the ATOP,
may interfere with the vertical clearance in the computer casing."

If this worked for my BFG 6800 GT OC, I'd be all set.

Old December 12th 05, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 00:30:19 -0500, "Dave Zass"
wrote:

I can get a good AGP board *now* that will handle both my new CPU and my
existing video card.

Which one? I'm curious because I went through the same decision
making process about nine months ago and the best AGP based mobo I
could find at the time was the K8N Neo2. It was hard to find then and
I would think even harder to find now.

At the time of my decision, the 6800GT was still a viable card and I
couldn't see shelling out $400 for a PCI- E version of basically the
same card. If faced with the same decision today, I would probably
bite the bullet and go with PCI-E.