flashing fx5900 ultra 256mb

Old January 12th 04, 12:51 AM
mimayin

Default flashing fx5900 ultra 256mb

I am considering flashing my fx5900 ultra 256mb with the leadtek 5950u bios.
i just wondered if anyone knows what might happen if this doesn't work...
will i still be able to get into DOS to flash it back to the old bios?

mimayin

Old January 12th 04, 12:58 PM
ginfest

"mimayin" wrote in message
I am considering flashing my fx5900 ultra 256mb with the leadtek 5950u

bios.
i just wondered if anyone knows what might happen if this doesn't work...
will i still be able to get into DOS to flash it back to the old bios?

mimayin

If by "doesn't work" you mean no picture, then no you won't even see a DOS
screen.
You could install a PCI videocard and reflash, preferably with the original
BIOS you saved when trying the 1st flash.
If you don't have a PCI vc, you use a DOS boot disk, create an Autoexec.bat
file with the flash commands and old BIOS and do a "blind" re-flash.

Mike G

---

Old January 12th 04, 06:15 PM
John Lewis

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 00:51:02 -0000, "mimayin"
wrote:

I am considering flashing my fx5900 ultra 256mb with the leadtek 5950u bios.
i just wondered if anyone knows what might happen if this doesn't work...
will i still be able to get into DOS to flash it back to the old bios?

mimayin

Of course, you could decide not to do it. You may even degrade
real performance, since the memory timings have been relaxed --
regardless of so-called memory clock rate. Memory clock rate
looks great on marketing blurb with no mention of access
clock cycle latency numbers.

John Lewis

Old January 12th 04, 10:54 PM
The Black Wibble

"mimayin" wrote in message ...
I am considering flashing my fx5900 ultra 256mb with the leadtek 5950u bios.
i just wondered if anyone knows what might happen if this doesn't work...
will i still be able to get into DOS to flash it back to the old bios?

mimayin

Here's a link to an MSI FX5950 Ultra BIOS if you're still interested.
http://users.pandora.be/ringworld/FILES/8946v100.rar

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old January 12th 04, 11:34 PM
The Black Wibble

wrote:

I am considering flashing my fx5900 ultra 256mb with the leadtek 5950u bios.
i just wondered if anyone knows what might happen if this doesn't work...
will i still be able to get into DOS to flash it back to the old bios?

mimayin

Of course, you could decide not to do it. You may even degrade
real performance, since the memory timings have been relaxed --
regardless of so-called memory clock rate. Memory clock rate
looks great on marketing blurb with no mention of access
clock cycle latency numbers.

John Lewis

The MSI FX5950 Ultra-VTD256 Ultra uses Hynix 2ns memory and the chips are labelled HY5DU283222 AF-2 if that's
of any help. The FX5900 version has Hynix 2.2ns BGA memory.

Tony.

Old January 12th 04, 11:36 PM
The Black Wibble

wrote:

I am considering flashing my fx5900 ultra 256mb with the leadtek 5950u bios.
i just wondered if anyone knows what might happen if this doesn't work...
will i still be able to get into DOS to flash it back to the old bios?

mimayin

Of course, you could decide not to do it. You may even degrade
real performance, since the memory timings have been relaxed --
regardless of so-called memory clock rate. Memory clock rate
looks great on marketing blurb with no mention of access
clock cycle latency numbers.

John Lewis

The MSI FX5950 Ultra-VTD256 uses Hynix 2ns memory and the chips are labelled HY5DU283222 and AF-2 if that's

Old January 13th 04, 03:14 AM
Armando Arroyo

Thanks Tony, worked great =)

--
Greetings,
Armando Arroyo

Intel P4 - 2.60Ghz HTT, 1.0Gb DDR400 Kingston
MSI Neo2 875FIS2R Mobo, MSI GeForce FX 5900,
SB Audigy, HD 80Gb UATA133, Windows XP SP1