Radeon 9600XT - Reboots computer

Old December 27th 03, 03:54 PM
jwoolley

Default Radeon 9600XT - Reboots computer

Hi,

I just installed a Saphire Radeon 9600XT in my system. I removed the old
drivers, and installed the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI's website. I am
now experiencing problems with the graphics card as whenever I try to play a
game the computer suddenly reboots itself. The games I have tried are IGI2
(the computer reboots when the 'loading' progress bar gets to about half
way) and Counter-Strike (which I got by using the cd key that came bundled
with the card) which doesn't get past the title screen before the computer
reboots.

My computer was also rebooting itself when just running normal applications,
but having removed the drivers properly and reinstalling them again, it does
not seem to do this anymore.

I have also noticed that I am now getting a 'Internet explorer must close,
sorry for the inconvenience' windows report error message when using
internet explorer since installing the card, which I don't think I was
getting before - is this related do you think?

Thanks for any help!

Win XP Pro
512MB PC2700 RAM
Athlon XP1800+ (1.53GHz)
Asus A7V333
Radeon 9600XT

Old December 27th 03, 04:58 PM
Skid

First things to try, go into display properties, settings, advanced, vpu
recover, and uncheck enable vpu recover. In the system control panel,
advanced, startup and recovery, uncheck automatically restart.

That should stop the reboots, but may not fix the underlying problem.

I'd uninstall and reinstall the problem games to allow them to detect and
set up for the new card. Also consider updating to the latest chipset
drivers and AGP drivers for your mobo as well as the latest bios version,
and reinstalling DX9. It's a very new card in a not-so-new system, and some
of these files may have been updated to give it a better shot at success.

You might also want to check your bios settings. There's a good guide at
www.rojakpot.com to guide you through the maze. Memory and video settings
are the ones to pay attention to in your case. Go conservative, with loose
ram timings and fast-writes disabled, to see if the problems go away. If
they do, turn things back on one at a time until you determine which is the
straw that breaks the camel's back.

If none of that helps, the problem could be a power supply that is slightly
underpowered or starting to go.

Old December 27th 03, 05:27 PM
Wayne Youngman

"jwoolley" wrote
[...]

Hi there,
it's hard to tell what the problem may be? but a rebooting computer normally
means a *weak* PSU, or memory that is *flaky*, or even a CPU that is not
receiving enough power, as well as a whole other bunch of stuff (chipset
drivers, etc). I'm not sure what your mobo is but I am guessing a VIA
333MHz AMD based one?, and if so does its spec say it supports the graphics
card type you are using (1.5v). I myself have never had much luck with VIA
based chipsets, but I hear they can be *beaten* into shape if you know what
you are doing. What graphics card did you have before the 9600XT?

Did you *Stability* test your system (CPU= Prime95. Memory= Memtest x86)?
Doing these things *One by One* can really help you trouble-shoot a problem
like this. If push comes to shove then it may be a case of *re-formatting*
your system and starting from scratch with all the latest updated BIOS,
Drivers etc. . .

Good Luck!
--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.775vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (9,3,3,2.0 - 2.7v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung (325/290 Default)
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (NTFS - 16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
2 x CoolerMaster 80mm Blue Neon Fans
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

Old December 27th 03, 07:54 PM
jwoolley

[...]

Thanks for your reply - I'll try those things. I've already disabled VPU
recovery and automatically rebooting. I reinstalled DX9 earlier today,
didn't seem to make a difference, but will go and check for VIA drivers in a
moment... I had read that PSUs can be a problem, although when building my
system I made sure to go for a fairly powerful one (an Enermax 350W I
think) - is this powerful enough?

Old December 27th 03, 08:02 PM
jwoolley

Hi there,
it's hard to tell what the problem may be? but a rebooting computer

normally
means a *weak* PSU, or memory that is *flaky*, or even a CPU that is not
receiving enough power, as well as a whole other bunch of stuff (chipset
drivers, etc). I'm not sure what your mobo is but I am guessing a VIA
333MHz AMD based one?,

Yep

and if so does its spec say it supports the graphics
card type you are using (1.5v).

Not 100% sure... doesn't seem to say on Asus' website but having had a GF4
ti4400 in it, I would be surprised if it couldn't handle this card.

I myself have never had much luck with VIA
based chipsets, but I hear they can be *beaten* into shape if you know

what
you are doing. What graphics card did you have before the 9600XT?

I used to have a GF4 ti4400, but a few months ago it packed up. I bought a
cheap £20 ATI Rage128 Pro (i think thats what it was) to replace it, and
have only now got this one. I think the old ATI drivers may have caused some
problems at first, but having removed all the drivers and used DriverCleaner
it shouldn't pose a problem now, i wouldn't have thought?

Did you *Stability* test your system (CPU= Prime95. Memory= Memtest x86)?

Did run a memory test yesterday - no problems.

It seems that it isn't just the games triggering the reboots, unfortunately.
Earlier on, the computer randomly rebooted itself again.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I'll be able to sort it out!

Old December 28th 03, 04:42 AM
Wayne Youngman

"jwoolley" wrote
I had read that PSUs can be a problem, although when building my
system I made sure to go for a fairly powerful one (an Enermax 350W I
think) - is this powerful enough?

Hi,
I have a packed system, including a Radeon 9800 and it all works fine
running from a *small* ANTEC 300w PSU. . . .I never had one single reboot!
--
Wayne ][

Old December 28th 03, 04:38 PM
Skid

"jwoolley" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply - I'll try those things. I've already disabled VPU
recovery and automatically rebooting. I reinstalled DX9 earlier today,
didn't seem to make a difference, but will go and check for VIA drivers in

moment... I had read that PSUs can be a problem, although when building my
system I made sure to go for a fairly powerful one (an Enermax 350W I
think) - is this powerful enough?

Power supply should be OK. Could be a Windows thing and not
hardware-related. See:

Old December 30th 03, 12:45 PM
jwoolley

[...]

Havn't had much luck with this. Sapphire tech support have advised me to
move to an older version of VIA Hyperion drivers but this hasn't made any
difference. The only thing that does seem to help is underclocking the video
card using Rage 3D. This way I don't seem to be getting my computer
rebooting itself, and if I try loading a game, instead of it rebooting the
computer, it simply crashes back to the desktop.

Do you think this might be a problem with the graphics card itself?

Thanks for your help!