Integrated Ethernet not working

Old January 25th 04, 03:58 AM
Chris Fonville

Default Integrated Ethernet not working

I have a Mach Speed N2PAP-Lite and the integrated Ethernet is not working.
I am using an old Ethernet card right now to access the internet (DSL). The
computer reconizes the drives and knows when the Ethernet cord is unplugged,
etc. But I can't do anything on the internet. Any ideas? Thanks
Chris

Old January 25th 04, 04:23 AM
*Vanguard*

"Chris Fonville" said in :
I have a Mach Speed N2PAP-Lite and the integrated Ethernet is not
working. I am using an old Ethernet card right now to access the
internet (DSL). The computer reconizes the drives and knows when the
Ethernet cord is unplugged, etc. But I can't do anything on the
internet. Any ideas? Thanks
Chris

Don't know your particular motherboard, but does it use a non-Intel chipset
(so Windows won't have the chipset drivers), like nVidia, VIA, or SiS? If
so, have you installed the chipset drivers?

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Chris Fonville

Yes, nForce2 chipset and I have installed the Ethernet drivers from the CD
that came with it. It seems like Windows (XP) is recognizing it fine.
Chris

Old January 26th 04, 06:24 AM
*Vanguard*

"Chris Fonville" said in :
I have a Mach Speed N2PAP-Lite and the integrated Ethernet is not
working. I am using an old Ethernet card right now to access the
internet (DSL). The computer reconizes the drives and knows when
the Ethernet cord is unplugged, etc. But I can't do anything on the
internet. Any ideas? Thanks
Chris

Don't know your particular motherboard, but does it use a non-Intel
chipset (so Windows won't have the chipset drivers), like nVidia,
VIA, or SiS? If so, have you installed the chipset drivers?

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Is there *no* exclamation mark next to the network controller in Device
Manager (i.e., does it show as working okay there)?

If you open the Network Connections applet in Control Panel and use its
Advanced - Advanced Settings menu, is the Local Area Connection listed
before other network adapters, like the 1394 (firewire)?

I never rely on the drivers on the CD that come with a motherboard. They
are stale, probably over a year old, so the best bet is to go to nVidia and
get *their* chipset driver package and install it. I might install the
drivers that come with the bundled CD but then I step on those installs with
the latest drivers from the web sites for the hardware vendors.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 26th 04, 09:57 PM
Chris Fonville

"Chris Fonville" said in :
I have a Mach Speed N2PAP-Lite and the integrated Ethernet is not
working. I am using an old Ethernet card right now to access the
internet (DSL). The computer reconizes the drives and knows when
the Ethernet cord is unplugged, etc. But I can't do anything on the
internet. Any ideas? Thanks
Chris

Don't know your particular motherboard, but does it use a non-Intel
chipset (so Windows won't have the chipset drivers), like nVidia,
VIA, or SiS? If so, have you installed the chipset drivers?

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Is there *no* exclamation mark next to the network controller in Device
Manager (i.e., does it show as working okay there)?

No, none at all. It did when I first booted the computer, but after
installing the drivers from the CD it has no problems. It is now listed
under Network adapters as "NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller" with no
problems.

If you open the Network Connections applet in Control Panel and use its
Advanced - Advanced Settings menu, is the Local Area Connection listed
before other network adapters, like the 1394 (firewire)?

I've now changed and I'm using the USB cable for the modem, so the USB
connection is listed as the first now. But I don't have firewire on the
computer and there were no other connections when I was trying to get it to
work. Even though I'm using USB now, I'd still like to get this Ethernet
working.

I never rely on the drivers on the CD that come with a motherboard. They
are stale, probably over a year old, so the best bet is to go to nVidia

and
get *their* chipset driver package and install it. I might install the
drivers that come with the bundled CD but then I step on those installs

with
the latest drivers from the web sites for the hardware vendors.

I tried that, too. I will usually download the newest drivers for stuff
like video cards, etc. But the newest nForce2 drivers still don't fix it.

If I go into the Advanced tab of the NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
Properties there is a property called "Network Address" and a space for a
Value or a radio button for "Not Present". That's the default, but should
that be changed? Also, my DSL modem acts as a router so I can type
192.168.0.1 to configure it. But I don't know what to change, I can't think
of anything. Any more ideas? Thanks,
Chris

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 27th 04, 07:18 PM
*Vanguard*

You never did elucidate on why the onboard network controller was "not
working". Depending on the vendor that puts together the motherboard, some
will add a couple tiny LEDs to the RJ45 socket into which you plug the cable
to connect to the onboard network controller. One is a link light and the
other shows activity (or conflicts). When you connect to the router, does
the link light go on that is on the backside connnector on your computer?

Do you have your router configured for dynamic DHCP configuration, or do you
manually configure static IP addresses?

When connected using your motherboard's backside network connector to the
router, can you then go to 192.168.0.1 to get at your router's
configuration? If so then the onboard network adapter is working.

Have you check your BIOS settings to ensure that you do not have the onboard
network controller disabled?

When you go to the Network applet to define a new connectoid, is the onboard
network controller (nVidia nForce) listed as an option so you can select it?
Have you then actually tried to define a connectoid that uses that network
device?

Old February 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Mike Koenecke

"*Vanguard*" wrote in message news:fQyRb.131917$nt4.579062@attbi_s51...
[...]

I found this thread via Google groups (it's no longer on my local ISP
Usenet server): did anyone figure out the solution here? I'm having
the exact same problem with my new Biostar motherboard. Answers to the
above questions: (1) no lights available, (2) Linksys router
configured for dynamic DHCP, (3) cannot access any network resource,
(4) yes; network controller enabled, although Biostar's documentation
really stinks, and it only lists "MAC LAN: Auto." It's sure not
disabled, (5) network controller is listed fine and operational by
Windows XP. It won't let me define any connectoid because it keeps
claiming the "network cable is unplugged." (Yes, it's plugged in.)

In fact, I have the old computer right next to it: if I plug the cable
into the old computer, it connects just fine. The cable and connection
is just fine.

The thing is, I'm afraid that if I just give up and return the
motherboard as defective, I'll get the same problem with the
replacement! I want to make *absolutely sure* that it's a hardware
problem. Thanks to anyone for your thoughts.
Old February 23rd 04, 06:43 PM
Pepperoni

Mike,
It could be that the *software* is not properly installed for the onboard
controller. There should be software comparable to that for an expansion
card. Check the vender's site.
http://www.biostar-usa.com/downloadmain.asp
First, download the USER MANUAL. make sure you select the correct
motherboard model. Then read the portion of the manual and THEN download
and install the LAN driver. (looks like a Realtek) Read carefully, your OS
may determine the correct driver.

Also, Linksys routers do have some issues with some hardware. You may want
to try connecting directly to the ethernet MODEM once the drivers are
installed.

I was spoiled by buying an Intel board. All the drivers installed from CD in
minutes, flawlessly.

Good luck.
Pepperoni

om...