best cloning method?

Old March 26th 06, 05:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default OT - bikes

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message

The California Highway Patrol and the L.A. Police Dept.
dropped Harleys decades ago because of performance
and reliability problems and went with Honda and Kawasaki.
That still wasn't reliable enough for the CHP, so they
eventually went with BMW. It seems that the Chippers don't
like their ride sitting in the shop or breaking down out on the
road and the Bimmer's higher price was worth it. I for one,
though, dread the congestion of L.A. traffic and the crazies
who try to run you off the road, and I've resigned myself to
driving a cage.

In Baton Rouge they've stayed with Harley primarily because they can resell
the heavily used Road Kings for about the same price they cost the City new.
They claim they are having good repair results with these as they did with
FXR's years back.

As for breaking down on the road, I think this is an exception rather than a
rule. My Road King now has 101k and has never stranded me, except once when
I had an irreparable flat tire. In the past 10 years, the only Harley I've
ridden with (out of thousands) that has broken down is one Sportster that
suffered a broken clutch cable. The days of leaking and unreliable Harleys
is a thing of the past, although I'm sure a lemon slips through from time to
time.

Old March 26th 06, 06:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default best cloning method?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
alanm wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Anna wrote
Timothy Daniels wrote
asled

Is there a nice simple DOS program that I can run that
will format the new drive, copy the old to the new, and
make the new drive bootable?

Yes! And it's free for 30 days. It's called Casper XP.
www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp. I've used half
a dozen other cloning utilities, and for cloning (as opposed
to image files and incrmental backups) it's the best and
the easiest to use. It will copy the MBR to the new drive,
it will mark the new paritition "active" (if only one partition
is being cloned), and the new partition will be as bootable
as the one cloned. Casper can be made to clone in either
of 2 modes - the entirety of one HD can be cloned to the
entirety of another HD, or just one partition can be cloned
to another HD which may or may not already have other
partitions on it. (True Image cannot do the latter.)

As with all cloning, disconnect the old drive before
starting up the clone OS for the first time. The clone
may be *seen* by the old OS before the clone is
first started up, but the clone must not see the old OS
until after it has undergone its first startup. Thereafter,
at subsequent startups, the clone may see its "parent"
OS without problems.

Sorry, Casper XP does not run under DOS, but that
matters not a whit - it will copy everything while running
under WinXP, including the wretched Symantec anti-virus
software with all its settings and its subscription life span.
Just disconnect the PC from the internet and disable the
AV off before cloning to be sure.

wrote

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying True Image right now, but don't
know how to make a bootable CD with the utilites in linux. I saw a
part of the program for making bootable recovery cd/dvd's but I'm
sure that's different. Can you point me in the right direction?

Steve:
We're talking *direct* disk-to-disk cloning here, right?

In addition to Tim's recommendation re the Casper XP program, let me
offer the following...

If you're primarily interested in using a disk cloning program with
either a bootable floppy disk or bootable CD as the media to carry
out the cloning operation, you may be interested in Symantec's
Norton Ghost 2003 program.

True Image makes a lot more sense.
Ghost 2003 is way past its useby date now.

Bull****.

Fact. Its lan support is completey ****ed, it cant do incremental images,
its user interface is quite ****ed, its hopeless for simpler users if the
image creation goes bad for even the simplest reason, etc etc etc.

Lan support isn't necessary with mobile racks. Incremental images are
irrelevant to cloning. The user interface is simple. The image creation
doesn't fail.

Old March 26th 06, 06:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"Beemer Biker" wrote in message

I have the boxer 1100 http://tinyurl.com/5c7uk and have put 60,000 miles
on it, mostly commuting to work, since '99. I spent the last weekend and
this one looking at new bikes. Spring is starting, and Harley and others
dealers near san antonio are having open houses and freebies. I stopped
at two harley dealers, honda, bad dog, american iron horse, and yamaha.
Also stopped at bmw. I thought that bmw was always overpriced although
their bikes are good, but American Iron horse and Bad Dog start where bmw
leaves off I cant see putting down $25K for something that wont make it
past the first gas station and no room on the seat for the wife.

A fellow biker and friend has a GS, and my ride is a '96 Road King, now
with 101k trouble-free miles. It's been in 33 states in the U.S. and
Canada and we're making a trek to the Hill Country of Texas in two weeks.
Great bike, and the best I've owned so far.

You will not be disappointed. Watch out for deer at night and buzzards in
the road eating them during the day. Some maps are he
http://stateson.net/ResearchRiders/p.../maps/maps.htm
I recommend the gruen stop and the ride along river road. Fredregsburg is a
nice town to visit. Willow city loop should be in full bloom, but dont eat
at Harrys On The Loop BBQ. It has really gone down hill since it got
written up in texas monthly. Enchanted rock is nearby that willoow city
loop and you can camp there. It helps to have a GPS in that area or you can
easily got lost and run out of gas (cruser problem only, touring should be
ok)

Beemer Biker
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com

Old March 26th 06, 07:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

alanm wrote
Rod Speed wrote
alanm wrote
Rod Speed wrote
[...]

And anyone with a clue gets an app that can
do more than just cloning with mobile racks.

The user interface is simple.

Its quite ****ed.

The image creation doesn't fail.

Wrong, as always.

Old March 26th 06, 11:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Bob Davis" wrote:
The days of leaking and unreliable Harleys is a thing of the past...

That's what I hear, too. And I seem to remember seeing a
city cop on a Harley a few weeks ago. The CHP may be still
using the BMWs for performance and maneuvering between
cars on congested freeways.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 30th 06, 06:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

I don't seem to be able to get the MBR onto the
new drive and disconnect the old one before messing up the XP
configuration. I think I give up on True Image.

It sure sounds like the MBR isn't being copied over. But since
True Image is supposed to do that automatically when cloning,
I can't imagine why.

True Image versions older than 9.1 did not save or restore the MBR
unless the entire disk was captured in the image. The latest release
now captures the MBR regardless of the partitions being captured, and
offers the option to restore the MBR if desired. Additionally, 9.1 now
offers the Universal Restore option, which allows restore to dissimilar
hardware, especially useful when migrating to new hardware.

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...l-restore.html

Old March 30th 06, 06:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Roger Layton" wrote:
True Image versions older than 9.1 did not save or restore
the MBR unless the entire disk was captured in the image.
The latest release now captures the MBR regardless of the
partitions being captured, and offers the option to restore
the MBR if desired.

Does this mean that True Image can now directly clone
single partitions rather entire hard drives?

*TimDaniels*
Old March 30th 06, 06:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Roger Layton wrote

I don't seem to be able to get the MBR onto the new
drive and disconnect the old one before messing up
the XP configuration. I think I give up on True Image.

It sure sounds like the MBR isn't being copied over.

No it doesnt. The new drive can be
booted with the old one connected.

But since True Image is supposed to do that
automatically when cloning, I can't imagine why.

True Image versions older than 9.1 did not save or restore
the MBR unless the entire disk was captured in the image.

We're discussing CLONING, not imaging.

The latest release now captures the MBR regardless of the partitions
being captured, and offers the option to restore the MBR if desired.

Irrelevant with CLONING.

Additionally, 9.1 now offers the Universal Restore option, which allows
restore
to dissimilar hardware, especially useful when migrating to new hardware.
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...l-restore.html

Again, its CLONING that is being discussed.

Old March 30th 06, 11:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Correct, I was referring to image capture and restore, not disk
cloning. Although I kinda like the idea of being able to clone a
single partition.

I have always had much better success with imaging, plus it gives me a
file I can keep around in case a drive craps out later.

Old March 31st 06, 12:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Roger Layton wrote:

Correct, I was referring to image capture and restore, not disk
cloning. Although I kinda like the idea of being able to clone a
single partition.

I have always had much better success with imaging, plus it
gives me a file I can keep around in case a drive craps out later.

And imaging allows incremental images and images can be
highly compressed so you get to keep more than one copy too.