best cloning method?

Old March 25th 06, 02:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default best cloning method?

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"Bob Davis" wrote:

"Anna"
DO NOT BOOT IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE
CLONING OPERATION WITH BOTH DRIVES CONNECTED.

It might be worth noting that you can leave both drives
connected in the Win98SE environment. I did it weekly
for years without any trouble, but no longer use this
method in XP.

There have been lots of comments on this. This need
to hide the "parent" OS when the clone is first run seems
to have come about with WinXP - the same time activation
reared its smarmy head. I've always suspected that it was
a sneak by Microsoft to discourage cloning of its OSes.
We may get a better idea of how low Microsoft will stoop
when Vista finally surfaces and people try to clone it (for
personal backups, of course).

*TimDaniels*

Hi Tim...you and I discussed this same crap over a year ago..small
world..only Rod wasnt there..
http://www.mcse.ms/message1367497.html

BTW: I emailed this last night by mistake instead of posting it, sorry.

Beemer Biker
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com

Old March 25th 06, 03:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Beemer Biker" wrote in message

http://www.mcse.ms/message1367497.html

That link is broken, might have been cached when I hit it last night, try
this one
http://www.mcse.ms/archive65-2005-1-1367497.html

I probably should have used google groups for Microsoft.pubic since they
carry it. Maybe one of these days I will learn, it came from googleing
"pagefile mbr".

One thing I am sure of is that at Rod's speed, he has undoubtedly
forgotten more than I have learned.

Old March 25th 06, 06:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 24 Mar 2006 15:30:11 -0800, wrote:

WOW - this thread has really gotten some legs. Thanks to all for the
advice and guidance - I may try the Ghost route,

snip

I've seen this happen with Ghost, too. I doubt it will matter whether you
use Ghost or Acronis.

Now that I think about it, of the last 5 drives I've cloned (a mix of Ghost
2003, Acronis 9.0 and Acronis 8.0 on a Bart PE CD) I've had to "fdisk /mbr"
two of them to get them to boot. Honestly, I didn't pay any attention as to
the order and whether or not "new" drive could "see" old drive at first
boot. I just know that sometimes I had to do an fdisk /mbr to get the new
drive to boot. I originally found the suggestion on the "radified" site:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaB...m=11226082 59
But, it was long enough ago that there wasn't an explanation as to why
fdisk /mbr worked. Recently, my son had the same situation and found this
as a possible explanation:
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

And, while I have Acronis True Image Server for Windows 8.0 on our Windows
2003 server, I haven't had opportunity to clone a drive on that yet. And
since it's a RAID configuration, I doubt I will.

BTW, you started this thread asking about the "best cloning method". Then
when you started having booting problems, you started a new thread "Cloned
but FUBAR, help!!!". Then you went back to the original thread to further
discuss your booting problem. It might have been easier to follow this if
you had stuck with one or the other - just a suggestion.

Bill
Old March 25th 06, 06:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Beemer Biker" wrote:
Hi Tim...you and I discussed this same crap over a year ago..small
world..only Rod wasnt there..
http://www.mcse.ms/message1367497.html

That's the beautiful and the ugly thing about the Internet -
nothing ever dies or fades away! :-)

Do you ride a 2-jug or lazy-4 Beemer?

*TimDaniels*
Old March 25th 06, 07:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Timothy Daniels wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Timothy Daniels wrote

I didn't say the clone mixing problem had anything to do with the
activation mechanism, but rather that it coincided with Microsoft's new
efforts at dicouraging pirating

No it didnt. 2K has the same problem when
cloning and there is no activation with 2K.

XP Corp has no activation and has the same problem when cloning.

- which is how Microsoft views clones that can be multi-booted.

Wrong again. The reactivation is only necessary
when the hardware changes significantly and a
boot drive change isnt enough to require reactivation.

Microsoft's opinion of cloning has nothing to do with activation.

Pity you just pig ignorantly claimed that it does.

It has to do with its EULA and its view that multiple "installations" of
its Windows OS with only one license is pirating.

Wrong, as always. There is nothing contrary to the
EULA with multiple installs on the one system and the
XP validation doesnt even attempt to prevent them.

Numerous times in the microsoft NGs, legions of angry MVPs have insisted
that the EULA prohibits bootable clones because a clone is an runnable
"installation" of an OS, and only one "installation" is allowed by the
EULA under one license.

They're wrong, and MS has never said that
and the XP validation doesnt check for that.

Of course, I don't agree with that opinion for several
legal reasons, but that is apparently what Microsoft
contends until shown otherwise by a court decision.

You dont have a shred of evidence that
that is what MS actually 'contends' at all.

Old March 26th 06, 12:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
. ..
"Beemer Biker" wrote:
Hi Tim...you and I discussed this same crap over a year ago..small
world..only Rod wasnt there..
http://www.mcse.ms/message1367497.html

That's the beautiful and the ugly thing about the Internet -
nothing ever dies or fades away! :-)
Do you ride a 2-jug or lazy-4 Beemer?

I have the boxer 1100 http://tinyurl.com/5c7uk and have put 60,000 miles on
it, mostly commuting to work, since '99. I spent the last weekend and this
one looking at new bikes. Spring is starting, and Harley and others dealers
near san antonio are having open houses and freebies. I stopped at two
harley dealers, honda, bad dog, american iron horse, and yamaha. Also
stopped at bmw. I thought that bmw was always overpriced although their
bikes are good, but American Iron horse and Bad Dog start where bmw leaves
off I cant see putting down $25K for something that wont make it past the
first gas station and no room on the seat for the wife.

Old March 26th 06, 02:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Peter wrote:

Hope I'm not going off topic here but - I'd recommend using VMware
Server (formerly known as GSX).

It's now free!

BETA = no support.

Then get the non-beta payware version. GEEZ, some people will complain
about anything.

I haven't used it yet but I did use VMware Player for a
bit and there was no problem.

What problem?

What part of "no problem" are you having trouble with?

Using a virtual machine is more convenient than cloning the hard disk.
If your PC motherboard fails, the cloned hard disk is unlikely to be
bootable on different hardware. A virtual machine isolates you from
that.

You mean I can run virtual machine with no hardware?

No, you can move a virtual machine from one piece of hardware to another
without having to reconfigure it.

You can stop the virtual machine, copy out the image files, and that's
your complete portable system backup that you can run on any new
hardware, even with a different PC brand.

Almost.

Almost? If the hardware supports vmware player you can run the virtual
machine. You can even run a Virtual PC virtual machine under vmware
player. Only limitation you're likely to run into would be if the virtual
machine has a 64-bit OS and you try to run it on 32-bit physical
hardware--that won't work.

Best if you're setting up a machine for the first time. Install some
free Linux to save on license costs, install VMware Server, boot a
virtual machine install from CD (Windows or Linux, whatever, your
actual running OS).

And I would not need a license for Windows running on VM? Is that true?

Depends on your definition of "need". Once you have activated XP in a
virtual machine you can move that virtual machine from one physical machine
to another without having to reactivate. Doing this in such a manner that
it is running on two physical machines simultaneously is a violation of the
Microsoft license, but there is nothing in the software that prevents you
from doing it.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old March 26th 06, 04:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default OT - bikes

"Beemer Biker" wrote:
I have the boxer 1100 http://tinyurl.com/5c7uk and have put
60,000 miles on it, mostly commuting to work, since '99. I
spent the last weekend and this one looking at new bikes.
Spring is starting, and Harley and others dealers near
san antonio are having open houses and freebies. I stopped
at two harley dealers, honda, bad dog, american iron horse,
and yamaha. Also stopped at bmw. I thought that bmw was
always overpriced although their bikes are good, but
American Iron horse and Bad Dog start where bmw leaves
off I cant see putting down $25K for something that wont
make it past the first gas station and no room on the seat
for the wife.

The California Highway Patrol and the L.A. Police Dept.
dropped Harleys decades ago because of performance
and reliability problems and went with Honda and Kawasaki.
That still wasn't reliable enough for the CHP, so they
eventually went with BMW. It seems that the Chippers don't
like their ride sitting in the shop or breaking down out on the
road and the Bimmer's higher price was worth it. I for one,
though, dread the congestion of L.A. traffic and the crazies
who try to run you off the road, and I've resigned myself to
driving a cage.

*TimDaniels*
Old March 26th 06, 05:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Beemer Biker" wrote:
I have the boxer 1100 http://tinyurl.com/5c7uk and have put
60,000 miles on it, mostly commuting to work, since '99. I
spent the last weekend and this one looking at new bikes.
Spring is starting, and Harley and others dealers near
san antonio are having open houses and freebies. I stopped
at two harley dealers, honda, bad dog, american iron horse,
and yamaha. Also stopped at bmw. I thought that bmw was
always overpriced although their bikes are good, but
American Iron horse and Bad Dog start where bmw leaves off I cant see
putting down $25K for something that wont
make it past the first gas station and no room on the seat
for the wife.

The California Highway Patrol and the L.A. Police Dept.
dropped Harleys decades ago because of performance

HD sells an image. CHP could possibly use a better image, but HD wont help.

and reliability problems and went with Honda and Kawasaki.
That still wasn't reliable enough for the CHP, so they
eventually went with BMW. It seems that the Chippers don't
like their ride sitting in the shop or breaking down out on the
road and the Bimmer's higher price was worth it. I for one,

yes, but the one like I got is air cooled and would quickly overheat when
left running (which the cop normally has to do). I see those CHP beamers
(bimmer is a cage) sold on ebay all the time. They are cheap, but have been
modified and you got to add a rear seat, but the price is good.

though, dread the congestion of L.A. traffic and the crazies

texas did not get the lane sharing bill passed. even though our gov rides a
motorcycle, he didnt support the lane splitting bill nor much else
motorcycle related. Of course, when he does go out for a ride, he gets a
police escort to clear the way for his harley http://tinyurl.com/mr7jp

Old March 26th 06, 05:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Beemer Biker" wrote in message

I have the boxer 1100 http://tinyurl.com/5c7uk and have put 60,000 miles
on it, mostly commuting to work, since '99. I spent the last weekend and
this one looking at new bikes. Spring is starting, and Harley and others
dealers near san antonio are having open houses and freebies. I stopped
at two harley dealers, honda, bad dog, american iron horse, and yamaha.
Also stopped at bmw. I thought that bmw was always overpriced although
their bikes are good, but American Iron horse and Bad Dog start where bmw
leaves off I cant see putting down $25K for something that wont make it
past the first gas station and no room on the seat for the wife.

A fellow biker and friend has a GS, and my ride is a '96 Road King, now with
101k trouble-free miles. It's been in 33 states in the U.S. and Canada and
we're making a trek to the Hill Country of Texas in two weeks. Great bike,
and the best I've owned so far.