Sony DRU810A DVD/CD RW drive problems

Old April 1st 06, 07:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Sony DRU810A DVD/CD RW drive problems

I just purchased this drive two weeks ago. The DVD drive is "scoring"
the surface of my purchased audio CDs. The drive leaves a noticeable
change, typically a ring in the middle, in what would otherwise be a
uniform surface. I believe that this DVD drive also damaged my
Microsoft Windows 2000 CD. I am not trying to write to the discs. Just
inserting the discs into the drive and ejecting them causes the
unintended change. Also having problems burning data DVDs at the rated
16x and 8x speeds. I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 and the DVD drive
firmware is at 1.0d. I've tried different media, Sony, Verbatim, Fuji.
No other apps are running. Sony support is slow to respond. I'm about
ready to return this drive as I am very dissatisfied.

Old April 1st 06, 08:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"wysiwyg21" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased this drive two weeks ago. The DVD drive is "scoring"
the surface of my purchased audio CDs. The drive leaves a noticeable
change, typically a ring in the middle, in what would otherwise be a

I had that happen when using an DVD an burning it at 1x or 2x speed instead
of 8x and the laser burned a ring ruining the dvd. The device needs to turn
down the intensity of the laser at low speed ie: 8x worked ok

I also had a laser burn a perfect line from the edge of the hole straight
out to the edge of the dvd. It occured when the burning software (nero) got
stuck, froze, and I had to eject the dvd pushing a pin thru that eject hole.
The laser was stuck on.

The device should have safeguards to prevent crap from happening. That can
be the difference between a $35 burner and a $135 one.

uniform surface. I believe that this DVD drive also damaged my
Microsoft Windows 2000 CD. I am not trying to write to the discs. Just
inserting the discs into the drive and ejecting them causes the
unintended change. Also having problems burning data DVDs at the rated
16x and 8x speeds. I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 and the DVD drive

i dont think 16x is going to happen and even at 8x you will be lucky to have
8x thruput.

firmware is at 1.0d. I've tried different media, Sony, Verbatim, Fuji.

that is benq model 1640 (oem), you got the latest firmware (1.d) and i
suggest returning it and get the equivalent of a benq 1650 or later that
does lightscribe. Get a retail model, firmware is usually upgradable. The
benq oem can be crossflashed to retail. You might want to check at
http://forum.rpc1.org and also
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

No other apps are running. Sony support is slow to respond. I'm about
ready to return this drive as I am very dissatisfied.

Beemer Biker
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT