Conductive Grease?

Old September 8th 04, 02:13 AM
Grinder

Default Conductive Grease?

Ok, so this isn't really a *computer* hardware question, unless I
pretend the remote is for a TV Tuner card. I hope you'll overlook my
topic abuse.

I have a remote control that, after getting slathered in orange soda, is
not working very well. Upon disassembly, I've discovered that it is
basically a circuit board, with some open contacts on the reverse side
for the buttons. The buttons are made of rubber and come down across
the contacts to trigger a particular function.

The circuit board still works -- I've tested by shorting the contacts
with a bit of tinfoil. Some sort of conductive grease that had been
applied to the rubber buttons, however, is gone and/or contaminated.

If I clean those buttons up, what can I reapply to them to make this
remote work as it once did?

As always, thanks for your time and consideration.

==

Oh, I'm not very confident about a universal remote working on this
unit, as it is quite old and I recall trying that before with no joy.

Old September 8th 04, 03:11 AM
kony

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:13:21 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

[...]

Are you certain this "grease" is there for conduction?

That seems unlikely, since conductive grease would then
certainly be transferred to the contact pads, causing
intermittent short.

What seems more likley to me is that you have the type of
rubber pad that breaks down over time, releasing an oily
substance. If you clean off the metal contacts and gently
scrub the rubber contacts lightly with a mild detergent,
that should be enough, there should be an impregnated
coating on the rubber that is solely responsible for
completing the circuit. The circuit board is pretty easy,
while fancy cleaners can be used, a few wipes with a dry
paper towel is usually sufficient.

If this is not the case you might elaborate more or provide
pics (posted elsewhere and linked, of course).
Old September 8th 04, 04:55 AM
Grinder

wrote:

[...]

Good point.

What seems more likley to me is that you have the type of
rubber pad that breaks down over time, releasing an oily
substance. If you clean off the metal contacts and gently
scrub the rubber contacts lightly with a mild detergent,
that should be enough,

The circuit board could probably stand a bit more cleaning, but I've
gotten most of the crud off with a moist paper towel.

there should be an impregnated
coating on the rubber that is solely responsible for
completing the circuit.

This is the part that eludes me. The rubber panel appears to be
homogenous and non-conductive.

The circuit board is pretty easy,
while fancy cleaners can be used, a few wipes with a dry
paper towel is usually sufficient.

If this is not the case you might elaborate more or provide
pics (posted elsewhere and linked, of course).

Here's a scan actually, of the circuit board and the rubber buttons panel:

http://grinder.home.mchsi.com/temp/remote-control.jpg

Thanks for your present and continued suggestions.
Old September 8th 04, 05:03 AM
Jerry G.

They do not use conductive grease. Sometimes with age the silicon membrane
starts to sweat. After cleaning with some alcohol, and it still does not
work, then this means that the coating on the rubber pads is warn off.

Some of the electronic suppliers sell a kit for recoating these membranes.
The kit is rather expensive. I would call the manufacture about a new
remote if this is the case. Most of these manufactures do not support
servicing these remotes, so I doubt you will find parts for it.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

Old September 8th 04, 05:17 AM
Grinder

Ok, scratch my repeated remarks about the buttons being non-conductive.
I've clean them more carefully, and have remedied some flex in the
control, and it is working now.

It is still a little hesitant, but I suspect that might just be a
function of its age -- the rubber has visibly deteriorated.

Thanks for your input, kony -- it's been good advice, as always.
Old September 8th 04, 05:40 AM
ric

Grinder wrote:

The circuit board still works -- I've tested by shorting the contacts
with a bit of tinfoil. Some sort of conductive grease that had been
applied to the rubber buttons, however, is gone and/or contaminated.

If I clean those buttons up, what can I reapply to them to make this
remote work as it once did?

It's not conductive grease.

http://www.iglou.com/studiosound/remote.htm
Old September 8th 04, 05:47 AM
Vanguardx

wrote:

[...]

Clean using isopropyl alcohol on the circuit board but I wouldn't use it
on rubber. Try using using diluted vinegar on the flexible rubber
membrane (and only clean if it looks greasy or linty, and don't rub too
hard on the contact pad. Unless the metal contacts are gold (highly
unlikely) use a white eraser (NOT the pink ones that will leave behind
abrasive grit) to burnish the contacts. Be sure to blow off the eraser
"crumbs". The contacts may have some oxidation on them.

The rubber membrane has carbon impregnated in it to make the short.
It's not a low resistance short, like near zero ohms, but low enough for
the circuitry to detect the short. Since it is probably black rubber,
you won't see the black carbon on it (i.e., you have carbon impregnated
rubber that is slightly conductive rather than insulating as would be
expected of rubber). If the button has been used a lot over a long
time, wear will obviously erode away some of the carbon impregnated side
of the pad; you'll probably find you can push the pad at an angle to get
a more reliable contact (because you using a less-used portion of the
carboned pad).

If it's really old, you might start hunting around for a replacement
remote control.

Old September 8th 04, 05:59 AM
Grinder

ric wrote:
Grinder wrote:

The circuit board still works -- I've tested by shorting the contacts
with a bit of tinfoil. Some sort of conductive grease that had been
applied to the rubber buttons, however, is gone and/or contaminated.

If I clean those buttons up, what can I reapply to them to make this
remote work as it once did?

It's not conductive grease.

http://www.iglou.com/studiosound/remote.htm

Thanks -- that link looks useful.
Old September 8th 04, 06:09 AM
kony

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 04:17:02 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

Ok, scratch my repeated remarks about the buttons being non-conductive.
I've clean them more carefully, and have remedied some flex in the
control, and it is working now.

It is still a little hesitant, but I suspect that might just be a
function of its age -- the rubber has visibly deteriorated.

I suggested the DRY paper towel for the contact pads because
it is slightly abrasive, the amount of rubbing needed to
clean them may improve the contact. The black coating
should not be completely removed though since it serves to
prevent oxidation.
Old September 8th 04, 10:53 AM
Chris van Bladel

Grinder wrote:
*snip* about remote control

You can use a "soft pencil". The B-type pencils use softer grafite.
Carefully draw on the rubbercontacts of the buttons, not to much.

This trick is has kept my Nintendo controllers alive for many years.

Chris

Fans - Why??? Bill White General 25 August 19th 04 07:40 PM
Reapply thermal grease WebWalker General 3 July 18th 04 08:25 AM