buying from US to Europe

Old July 26th 03, 02:17 PM
Mario Kadastik

Default buying from US to Europe

Hello,

a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
being in Europe?

The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper cards
offer it for U.S. addresses only.

For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
pricewatch the same card came up for $372.

Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out approximately
the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the card is buggy as
then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again

Mario

Old July 26th 03, 03:16 PM
John Russell

"Mario Kadastik" wrote in message
Hello,

a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
being in Europe?

The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper cards
offer it for U.S. addresses only.

For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
pricewatch the same card came up for $372.

Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out approximately
the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the card is buggy as
then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again

Mario

Try searching using a German search engine. German companies tend to convert
Doller prices to Euro without any markup. That's a lot better than UK
companies who just tend to swap the Dollar symbol for £ and leave the number
the same!

Old July 27th 03, 10:20 PM
Thomas Andersson

Mario Kadastik wrote:

a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
being in Europe?

Yes, my entire new computer is done that way (more or less).

The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper
cards offer it for U.S. addresses only.

The trick is to have someone you trust buy them there and ship them
privately to you marked as a gift (spare parts or something). even with
shiping there's a lot to be saved on most stuff).

For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
pricewatch the same card came up for $372.

One thing you have to think of though is the difference in standards between
USA and Europe (NTSC vs PAL, 115v vs 230v etc etc).

Does the price difference of $150 give me enough reason to start
organizing a way to buy it or will it in the end make out
approximately the same price? Also a thought about RMA in case the
card is buggy as then I'd have to pay the shipping all over again

The RMA bit is the downer of the deal, but even with shiping there's plenty
of room for saving.

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old July 28th 03, 07:20 PM
barefoots

"Thomas Andersson" wrote in
:

Mario Kadastik wrote:

a bit OT, but has anyone experience in buying hardware from US while
being in Europe?

Yes, my entire new computer is done that way (more or less).

The price difference is huge, but most companies who sell cheaper
cards offer it for U.S. addresses only.

The trick is to have someone you trust buy them there and ship them
privately to you marked as a gift (spare parts or something). even
with shiping there's a lot to be saved on most stuff).

For example the only FX5900 card I found for sale here in Estonia is
Leadtek FX 5900 A350 TDH for around $520 (converted to US $). From
pricewatch the same card came up for $372.

One thing you have to think of though is the difference in standards
between USA and Europe (NTSC vs PAL, 115v vs 230v etc etc).

:-) i bought my ati video card pal standard in the US, i ask the sales man
for it he made a phone call and i had it the next day