Scanner is inaccessable

Old October 15th 03, 01:22 AM
Fuzzball

Default Scanner is inaccessable

I have just recently had the exact same problem. I have an epson 2450
Perfection Photo scanner. Had it for a couple of years. Haven't used
it in a few months and tried to use it a few days ago. Same problem. I
note that when I go to Scanners & Cameras in Control Panel, in the
General tab it says the scanner is on port \\.\Usbscan0, and says it's
status is "unavailable". The port value seems/looks odd, but I don't
know what it means. I've removed/installed the scanner numerous times
with the same result. The PC is a Dell deskside (dimension xpsb 733r)
with 2 built-in usb ports. I've tried both ports - same result. I've
removed/reinstalled all the original epson s/w - apps, twain, etc. - no
difference. Went and got newest drivers/sw from epson website - no
difference. Wish I could help more than just saying "me too"...

To find the scanner in control panel, look under the Scanners & Cameras
section. If you find more info about this problem, please post it here.

Fuz

I am fuzzy underscore 2 at pop dot charter dot net

Click wrote:

I have an Epson Perfection 1660 PhotoScanner that is connected through the
USB port. Today when I tried to scan a photo I got the message 'Unable to
access the scanner because its not ready or being used by another
application. ' The machine is ready & turned on, I even heard it make it's
usual little noise that it make every time it starts up. I have use the
scanner many times before without problems.

Where do find the scanner under Control PanelSystem? It isn't listed by
name like many of the other connections are. If I find it's listing there
can it's description be changed so you know what you are looking at the next
time this happens? Isn't there also someplace where you get the message
that the device is working correctly or not? I have actually tried
getting the scanner to work by using other programs that can use the scanner
but they are all definitely all turned off. What does one try next?

If I go to Control Panel Scanners & Cameras I will find my scanner is listed
but it does not says if it's working or not or say what the driver is or how
to update it.

--
Thanks in advance

Remove the XXX to reply

Fuzzy

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut by refusing to eat it."

== I am fuzzy underscore 2 at pop dot charter dot net ==

Old October 16th 03, 09:27 PM
John Allen

Click wrote:

I have an Epson Perfection 1660 PhotoScanner that is connected through

the
USB port. Today when I tried to scan a photo I got the message 'Unable

access the scanner because its not ready or being used by another
application. ' The machine is ready & turned on, I even heard it make

it's
usual little noise that it make every time it starts up. I have use

the
scanner many times before without problems.

Without going into details, I had a similar kind of problem which was solved
only after doing a "repair install" of Windows XP. It seems that some
installation or update in recent months had stopped the "scanner and camera
wizard" and some related functions from working.

The "repair install" takes about 1 hour, leaves everything intact but sorted
out my problem beautifully.

John Allen

--

John and Catherine Allen
Bofferdange, Luxembourg

http://www.homepages.lu/allen

Old October 17th 03, 10:02 PM
Mark Caton

I had a similar problem, caused because I had a USB hub connected to th PC
via a switch. If I switch it to another PC, problem goes away. Might be
worth disconnecting any other USB devices, and re-connecting the scanner.

Mark