Onboard LAN card problems with A7N8X-VM

Old December 28th 03, 10:37 PM
Me

Default Onboard LAN card problems with A7N8X-VM

I put together the above board and installed all the drivers from the ASUS
CD. The driver installs correctly, I see it appropriatetly listed in device
manager.

I have my Linksys router set up for DHCP. It can get a DHCP address, yet it
can't ping the DHCP server. None of my other devices can ping the system,
nor can the Asus device ping any of my other desktops

My isp doesn't have MAC cloning.
Additionally, I can put in a 3com card and it works fine.
I'm sure the network cable is fine, I've swapped cables in and out of the
desktop that I know are good

I tried going on ASUS site to see if there were any BIOS or network driver
updates, but I couldn't find anything.

Has anyone encountered this?

Old December 28th 03, 11:49 PM
Rob

Me wrote:
I put together the above board and installed all the drivers from the ASUS
CD. The driver installs correctly, I see it appropriatetly listed in device
manager.

I have my Linksys router set up for DHCP. It can get a DHCP address, yet it
can't ping the DHCP server. None of my other devices can ping the system,
nor can the Asus device ping any of my other desktops

My isp doesn't have MAC cloning.
Additionally, I can put in a 3com card and it works fine.
I'm sure the network cable is fine, I've swapped cables in and out of the
desktop that I know are good

I tried going on ASUS site to see if there were any BIOS or network driver
updates, but I couldn't find anything.

Has anyone encountered this?

in Device Manager you say you can see the driver, is there or have you
entered a valid (12 char. string) MAC Address for the Network Address on
the advanced tab of the Properties page. I had to do this to get mine
going. I used the MAC from an old NIC I had.

Rob

Old December 29th 03, 07:45 AM
Me

You are absolutely correct, my 3com MAC did it. However, that's pretty week
on ASUS part.
Do you know how to get the MAC address of the NVIDIA card?

Old December 29th 03, 07:54 AM
Andrew

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:45:06 -0800, "Me"
wrote:

You are absolutely correct, my 3com MAC did it. However, that's pretty week
on ASUS part.

You probably just needed to power cycle your router to reset the MAC
address it was talking to.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old December 29th 03, 03:07 PM
Rob

Me wrote:

[...]

I've been told the MAC is on a sticker near/on the IDE/Floppy connectors
but I would have to pull my Mobo to see the numbers, so I blew that off
and used a fake. I guess if your networking and using both LAN
connectors you'll need two different MAC addresses. Hope the same info
is true for the VM board. Glad to hear you got it running.

Rob

Old December 29th 03, 06:19 PM
Me

I put 12 0's in the Mac address field and it works too.
It looks like it just wants a valid hex number. I don't want to dismount the
motherboard either.

Thanks for your help!

Old December 29th 03, 08:59 PM
Rob

Any 12 will work but if your ISP uses MAC identification, they may not
like all 0's. Might want to design another string using nothing
significant.

Rob

Old December 30th 03, 06:42 PM

The Mac address is on a sticker inside the PC. I think it is on the
IDE, or floppy connector. I opened up mine and used a digital camera
to record it for posterity. (Copy available by email for reference.)
And to feed it into the network setup where needed.

Asus screwed up on this one.

MK

Me wrote:
[...]

Michael Kenward Words for sale

Problems installing ALI USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 multi-port USB / Firewire pci card Hans H jakobsen General 2 March 31st 04 10:57 AM
Video card problems S.Boardman General 0 December 31st 03 02:53 PM
A7N8X Deluxe based system running problems, advice needed Hazardz Homebuilt PC's 0 December 23rd 03 03:38 AM
Q-TEC 320R RAID Card problems Thunder Ace Homebuilt PC's 2 December 20th 03 11:54 AM
A7N8X Delux problems... IDE-SATA issues, Sound Card, others dino Asus Motherboards 7 October 29th 03 09:36 AM