Chkdsk.exe

Old January 15th 10, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default Chkdsk.exe

I have a friend who is too lazy to post his own problems. He bought a
high capacity drive. The drive started running chkdsk at reboot. He
got a replacement from Seagate. The second drive is also running
chkdsk at startup.

Since this happened on two brand new drives, I told him that getting a
new controller card may help.

He has been still writing to the drives while waiting on the
controller card.

Does chkdsk fix errors, or just mark sectors as bad? Anyone else
think a controller will fix his problem?
Old January 15th 10, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don Phillipson[_4_]

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

I have a friend who is too lazy to post his own problems. He bought a
high capacity drive. The drive started running chkdsk at reboot. He
got a replacement from Seagate. The second drive is also running
chkdsk at startup.

Since this happened on two brand new drives, I told him that getting a
new controller card may help.

He has been still writing to the drives while waiting on the
controller card.

Does chkdsk fix errors, or just mark sectors as bad? Anyone else
think a controller will fix his problem?

If this is a Windows PC tell your friend about the MS
"Knowledge Base" where utilities like CHKDSK are
fully documented or teach him how to search via
Google. The point is that this is usually much faster
than waiting for a reply in a NG.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 16th 10, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who is too lazy to post his own problems.

Ha!

--
Mike Easter
Old January 16th 10, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:
I have a friend who is too lazy to post his own problems. He bought a
high capacity drive. The drive started running chkdsk at reboot. He
got a replacement from Seagate. The second drive is also running
chkdsk at startup.

Since this happened on two brand new drives, I told him that getting a
new controller card may help.

He has been still writing to the drives while waiting on the
controller card.

Does chkdsk fix errors, or just mark sectors as bad? Anyone else
think a controller will fix his problem?

CHKDSK can stay in a loop, running at each startup of the system.
There is a "dirty" flag, which can be set, to indicate the file
system needs to be checked. And sometimes, the flag doesn't get
cleared after CHKDSK runs. Maybe your problem is something like
that.

fsutil dirty query C:

The flag can be queried or it can be set (to request a CHKDSK),
but it cannot be cleared with that command. And the location
of the flag is not documented on purpose, so people cannot bypass
it. It is only supposed to be cleared, when CHKDSK is happy.

You can try booting the Recovery Console using the WinXP disc,
and do a chkdsk from there. Perhaps that might clear the flag.

The options available in chkdsk, vary depending on where you
run it from. The options in Recovery Console are different than
the ones elsewhere. These are a couple links from my bookmarks.
The second one is pretty easy to read.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/#/

http://www.answers.com/topic/chkdsk-1

Paul
Old January 16th 10, 03:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:35:51 -0500, Paul wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Thanks

Do you know how this could happen on two new drives?

The first drive he bought was new when it started the errors, but the
replacement drive is doing the same thing.

He has other drives that are not doing this. The drives are at least
1TB The may even be 1.5TB.

Old January 16th 10, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

If I have computer crashes here, not all the partitions are
checked, so I don't know what would kick off the whole process.
I've had my C: checked a few times, but never got stuck in a
loop.

Paul
Old January 16th 10, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Metspitzer wrote:

high capacity drive. The drive started running chkdsk at reboot. He
got a replacement from Seagate.

Normally a drive mfr 'requires'/wants the user to run their diagnostics
such as SeaTools in this case, in order to issue an RMA to initiate the
standard warranty replacement process.

What happened when he ran the diagnostics on the first drive?

http://snipr.com/u3qtd How to use SeaTools for Windows

The second drive is also running
chkdsk at startup.

.... or the second?

http://snipr.com/u3qtq My desktop or laptop hard drive may be
defective, how can I test it? ... Over 30% of all drives returned under
warranty to Seagate are in good working order, with no problems found.
To save time and the hassle of shipping a drive that may not be
defective at all, please test your drive to see if it really is defective.

--
Mike Easter
Old January 16th 10, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
frischmoutt

Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that the boot checking process calls for chkdsk with /f
option
Chkdsk looks to the sectors and the structure of the disk organization
(files and directories).
The /f switch tells it to write the corrections to the disk.
with /f /r, it scans the bad sectors and recovers as far as possible the
information.
Just launch chkdsk /? at DOS prompt you'll see all the options.

! ! ! Be carefull with this utility. Every time I used it with /f or /r, I
almost lost the complete disks ! ! !
Possibly because they were dying. However this didn't let me time to backup
my data. So please backup before using chkdsk.

Troubleshooting:
First: IDE disk ? - check for a 80 wires cable. if not = errors.
Second since your friend is "lazy" perhaps he keeps interrupting the
checking process at boot because of its duration that may take several
minutes depending on the size of the partition.
Third, is the disk too large for the computer ( BIOS size limitations) ?
Fourth You don't tell what OS he's using. However I don't know about LBA48
mode and XP (thing different of the size limitation although linked to) but
what I can say is that I put several months ago, on a computer running
Windows 2000 pro SP4, a 500 GB HD coming from another computer. When I did
that, I forgot to modify the registry for LBA48 mode. As soon as it began to
boot, thousands errors were exhibited. Incitating to stop the verification,
what I did at every boot, trying to understand and fortunately for me
because it didn't write the false corrections to the disk !
There may be other reasons for that behaviour.

Old January 18th 10, 11:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patty

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:58:57 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:

I have a friend who is too lazy to post his own problems. He bought a
high capacity drive. The drive started running chkdsk at reboot. He
got a replacement from Seagate. The second drive is also running
chkdsk at startup.

Since this happened on two brand new drives, I told him that getting a
new controller card may help.

He has been still writing to the drives while waiting on the
controller card.

Does chkdsk fix errors, or just mark sectors as bad? Anyone else
think a controller will fix his problem?

Once upon a time, many years ago, I purchased a Seagate IDE drive for a
computer (this was before GB drives). I had nothing but problems with the
drive, lots of read/write errors, etc. Seagate had me low level format the
drive (so you know how long ago this was) with no joy, still problems with
the drive. They sent me a replacement. Still problems. Turned out there
was a firmware problem with that particular model of drive that they hadn't
discovered yet. After speaking with numerous technicians over the phone,
one finally sent me a copy of the new firmware. When that was installed,
all problems disappeared.

My point is, even with new drives there can be problems that aren't even
realized by the manufacturer at first.

Patty