Memory question - DDR400 512MB...

Old September 27th 03, 03:13 AM
Monkey With A Typewriter

Default Memory question - DDR400 512MB...

I have a Chaintech 9CJS and now need to buy the memory.

This is what it calls for:
-Matched, DDR400, Double-sided DIMMs
-Dual Channel Mode (Symmetrical DIMM population)

I figured DDR400 is the same as PC3200. (I think.)

The manual reads: This motherboard provides four 184-pin Double Data Rate
(DDR) Dual-In-Line Memory Modules (DIMM) slots, which supports
PC2100/2700/3200 DDR SDRAM modules up to 4GB. ...

But their website says it supports up to 512MB x 4 slots.

Let's see... 4 x 512MB = 2.048GB.

So I went looking for 1GB DDR400. Because 4 x 1GB = 4GB. It's full, no
need to upgrade I figure. Yet the site I was looking at that had that
memory said it wouldn't work my board.

I went to crucial.com and the largest memory they have listed for this board
is 512MB.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...ITH&DetailMB=Y
&cat=Ram

In fact, they say: Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 4096MB

What am I failing to understand here? Why does every site say it maxes out
at 2.048GB, but the book says it will take 4GB? Where can I get the full
capacity of memory to work this?

And what is your choice of memory (size and/or brand)? (Price is somewhat
irrelevant.)

Thanks

--
Monkey With A Typewriter
http://www.monkeywithatypewriter.com

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 12:04 PM
memory question Jack Seppelt General 4 October 2nd 04 04:03 PM
Memory Question DocMilligan Overclocking AMD Processors 1 July 26th 03 11:33 PM
XP2600 + A7N8X + Impact of memory question Steve Franklin Overclocking AMD Processors 1 June 22nd 03 09:07 PM