Internet Explorer Problem

Old September 5th 03, 06:54 PM
Matty

Default Internet Explorer Problem

Apologies for the X Post but I really need some help on this: Please scroll
down and any thoughts please let me know!!

"Matty" wrote in message

"harold" wrote in message
Matty wrote:
Hi all

A neighbours PC (PIII 500Mhz, 128MB Ram, Win98, Freeserve ISP),
internet connection is seriously playing up.

The saga goes a friend of this neighbour tried to install a software
firewall, (I have no idea which..... maybe McAfee) but all went to
poop and the thing failed to boot normally afterwards. The friend
uninstalled the software, and got the PC to boot, now he is
unavailable!! But now when double clicking the IE icon, the freeserve
make a new connection wizard appears, (white with connect or cancel
links). When I click connect, the thing dials 0845 0796699, tells me
I am entering a secure zone so I click OK, then all I get is the page
unavailable page!! (Full screen and it needs ALT F4 to close it!)

Now, if I click the freeserve icon, or the OE icon, either from the
desktop or C:/ProgramFiles, the same thing happens. However, clicking
through Dial Up Networking, the connection works fine, although
obviously I am unable to view any web pages, because as soon as I
start IE the freeserve connection wizard starts again!!

I have uninstalled DUN and TCP/IP, but the same thing happens. When I
tried to make a new connection through IE properties, the PC dialled
the referral number, then connected, told me it was looking for the
available ISPs, then told me it failed to make a connection. I had no
progress on the progress bar for this point.

Does anyone have any clues how to cure this snag?? All I can see now
is reinstall windows. He is backing up now, for us to do at the
weekend, but I would appreciate an easier option.

You could try going to :
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and deleting the "Signup" folder

and
"Welcome" file.
See:
http://www.ufaq.fsnet.co.uk/ and scroll down to "Miscellaneous Freeserve
problems/stuck in the signup procedure"
Certainly worth trying before re-installing!!!!!!!!!

harold

Thats a great link

Very many thanks..I will give that a go.

Matty

OK Did give it a go and I can now connect thanks very much.. BUT...

Every web address I type in gives the Page Cannot be Found screen, and
dnserror.htm at the bottom.

I tried reinstalling DUN via the control panel, windows setup, and created a
new connection, with no effect.

I also tried to go through the windows wizard for setting up a connection
but to no avail, as it says connected then where the status bar should go
across, it then says connection could not be made.

I have searched the microsoft knowedge base and found this,

and this,

Any thoughts before I tackle it again tomorrow???

Many thanks in advance

Matty

Old September 5th 03, 07:07 PM
JAD

pc-Homebuilt....

get Spybot S&D and run that.....

run the connection wizard.....IE- tools- options- general- wizard

the 0845 is your local area? and that number is one you recognize?

You add/removed software from the control panel?

Is/was there a healthy msi file and did the uninstall go well?

Reinstall the f/w then remove it yet again if it didn't...turn off anti virus while installing (had to mention it) if anything gets
left behind it can be a b*tch. possibly uninstall from safe mode or step by step confirmation loading everything except FW related
files