Chkdsk problem...

Old July 12th 07, 07:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Louis[_3_]

Default Chkdsk problem...

Hello,

While trying to make an image of an NTFS partition, the imaging
softwares (I tried with both "True Image" and "Ghost") reported that
errors on partition prevented the image to be completed.

For example, Acronis stated that it "Failed to read from the sector
234,439,534 of the hard disk 1", which seems high to me since there's
only 29,304,934 clusters on the disk.

Back into XP, I performed a chkdsk (without /F) from a cmd window, and
it reported it found "minor" errors.

I reentered the same command, this time with the /F switch, and a scan
was planned on next boot.

In this scan. chkdsk performed steps 1 to 3 and USN log without
reporting any error, but failed right after with a message "Unable to
write the second NTFS boot sector" (translation of the french message)
before going on with normal windows boot.

I then permormed "chkdsk c: /P /R" from the recovery console.

This time, chkdsk progress raised up to 75% then, felt to 50% before
raising again (slowly) to 75% - without any additional message. This
seems to happens a couple of times.

At some point, it stopped with the message "The volume seems to contain
one or many unrecoverable problems".

Under normal windows operation, nothing seems to indicate a problem
with the file system. All programs seem to run normally. Even a
complete virus scan (accessing the over 300,000 files on the disk)
doesn't show any sign of failing disk. I know it doesn't mean all my
files are in safe state, but at least they are not causing system
crashes or error messages.

While I already have a backup of all my data files, I'd like to see if
there's a way to repair that partition to a point where I'll be able to
image it.

BTW, the disk is a WD-1200JB, S.M.A.R.T doesn't report any error.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks

PS: I retried the console's chkdsk again this morning, and noted that
the 50% ... - 75% - 50% ...75% seems to occur more often than the
first time I made it. Does this means it is getting any nearer to
complete recovery ?

Old July 12th 07, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Louis wrote

While trying to make an image of an NTFS partition, the imaging
softwares (I tried with both "True Image" and "Ghost") reported that errors on partition prevented
the image to be completed.

For example, Acronis stated that it "Failed to read from the sector 234,439,534 of the hard disk
1", which seems high to me since there's only 29,304,934 clusters on the disk.

Sectors arent clusters. How may sectors per cluster do you have ?
That sector number would be appropriate for a drive bigger than 120G.

Back into XP, I performed a chkdsk (without /F) from a cmd window, and it reported it found
"minor" errors.

That wont say anything useful about a bad sector at 234,439,534

I reentered the same command, this time with the /F switch, and a scan was planned on next boot.

In this scan. chkdsk performed steps 1 to 3 and USN log without
reporting any error, but failed right after with a message "Unable to
write the second NTFS boot sector" (translation of the french message)
before going on with normal windows boot.

I then permormed "chkdsk c: /P /R" from the recovery console.

This time, chkdsk progress raised up to 75% then, felt to 50% before
raising again (slowly) to 75% - without any additional message. This
seems to happens a couple of times.

At some point, it stopped with the message "The volume seems to contain one or many unrecoverable
problems".

Under normal windows operation, nothing seems to indicate a problem with the file system. All
programs seem to run normally.

All that means is that the bad sectors arent being used in normal ops.

Even a complete virus scan (accessing the over 300,000 files on the disk) doesn't show any sign of
failing disk. I know it doesn't mean all my files are in safe state, but at least they are not
causing system crashes or error messages.

Yet.

While I already have a backup of all my data files, I'd like to see if there's a way to repair
that partition to a point where I'll be able to image it.

BTW, the disk is a WD-1200JB, S.M.A.R.T doesn't report any error.

Any suggestions ?

Post an Everest SMART report.

PS: I retried the console's chkdsk again this morning, and noted that the 50% ... - 75% - 50%
...75% seems to occur more often than the first time I made it. Does this means it is getting
any nearer to complete recovery ?

Nope, its more likely that the bad sectors vary in readability.

Old July 12th 07, 11:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Louis[_3_]

Rod Speed vient de nous annoncer :

For example, Acronis stated that it "Failed to read from the sector
234,439,534 of the hard disk 1", which seems high to me since there's only
29,304,934 clusters on the disk.

Sectors arent clusters. How may sectors per cluster do you have ?

8

I calculated 8 * 29,304,934 = 234,439,472, but forgot to take into
account that the partition doesn't start at sector 0.

Actually, the last partition's sector is 234,439,535.

Any suggestions ?

Post an Everest SMART report.

----[ SMART ]-----------------------------------------------------

[ WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1 (WD-WMA8C4206690) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 200 200 0 OK
03 Spin Up Time 21 97 93 5916 OK
04 Start/Stop Count 40 98 98 2697 OK
05 Reallocated Sector Count 140 200 200 0 OK
07 Seek Error Rate 51 200 200 0 OK
09 Power-On Time Count 0 91 91 6679 OK
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK
0B Calibration Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK
0C Power Cycle Count 0 98 98 2652 OK
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 200 200 0 OK
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 200 200 0 OK
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 200 200 0 OK
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 253 0 OK
C8 Write Error Rate 51 200 200 0 OK

As you surely know, on the right of the "OK" status is text saying
"Normal value" or "Will always work".

Old July 13th 07, 12:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Louis[_3_]

Default Chkdsk problem... (additional info)

Just downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostics 5.04f from WD site,
performed both quick and extended tests and they both ended with
"status code 0000: no errors found".

Old July 13th 07, 02:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Louis wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Louis wrote

For example, Acronis stated that it "Failed to read from the

sector 234,439,534 of the hard disk 1", which seems high to me since there's only 29,304,934
clusters on the disk.

Sectors arent clusters. How may sectors per cluster do you have ?

8

I calculated 8 * 29,304,934 = 234,439,472, but forgot to take into account that the partition
doesn't start at sector 0.

What really matters is the datasheet value of the number of sectors.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1
says 234,441,648 sectors.

Actually, the last partition's sector is 234,439,535.

Looks like it may have got partitioned with the wrong
geometry and that is what confused the imagers.

Any suggestions ?

Post an Everest SMART report.

----[ SMART ]-----------------------------------------------------

[ WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1 (WD-WMA8C4206690) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 200 200 0 OK
03 Spin Up Time 21 97 93 5916 OK
04 Start/Stop Count 40 98 98 2697 OK
05 Reallocated Sector Count 140 200 200 0 OK
07 Seek Error Rate 51 200 200 0 OK
09 Power-On Time Count 0 91 91 6679 OK
0A Spin Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK
0B Calibration Retry Count 51 100 100 0 OK
0C Power Cycle Count 0 98 98 2652 OK
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 200 200 0 OK
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 200 200 0 OK
C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 200 200 0 OK
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 253 0 OK
C8 Write Error Rate 51 200 200 0 OK

That doesnt show any problems.

As you surely know, on the right of the "OK" status is text saying "Normal value" or "Will always
work".

Its the data value before the OK that matters a lot more.

Just downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostics 5.04f from WD site, performed both quick and extended
tests and they both ended with "status code 0000: no errors found".

Yeah, the drive is fine.

Old July 13th 07, 03:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Louis[_3_]

Rod Speed avait énoncé :

Looks like it may have got partitioned with the wrong
geometry and that is what confused the imagers.

According to the BIOS (Award) the drive (set to AUTO) has :

Cylinder 57460
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 57459
Sector 255

Access Mode Auto

Any suggestions ?

That doesnt show any problems.

Just downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostics 5.04f from WD site, performed
both quick and extended tests and they both ended with "status code 0000:
no errors found".

Yeah, the drive is fine.

Ok. So I have a fine drive, which doesn't show any problem in normal
use other than windows unable to complete a simple chkdsk on it and
utilities such as Ghost, Acronis True Image, Paragon Partition Manager
and even Partition Magic (yeerk) unable to handle correctly..

Any other suggestion on what's happening here and how to increase
chances to successfully image that partition ?

Old July 13th 07, 05:38 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Louis wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Looks like it may have got partitioned with the wrong
geometry and that is what confused the imagers.

According to the BIOS (Award) the drive (set to AUTO) has :

Cylinder 57460
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 57459
Sector 255

Access Mode Auto

Its either auto, or those value have been used. You cant have it both ways.

That doesnt show any problems.

Just downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostics 5.04f from WD site,
performed both quick and extended tests and they both ended with
"status code 0000: no errors found".

Yeah, the drive is fine.

Ok. So I have a fine drive, which doesn't show any problem in normal
use other than windows unable to complete a simple chkdsk on it and
utilities such as Ghost, Acronis True Image, Paragon Partition Manager
and even Partition Magic (yeerk) unable to handle correctly..

If they are all having a problem with the drive, the simplest approach
is to copy everything off, set the drive type to auto, wipe the drive and
recreate the partition and copy everything back. Not that easy to do
if you cant image the drive tho.

Any other suggestion on what's happening here

It may have been formatted with different geometry than what is being used now.

and how to increase chances to successfully image that partition ?

See above. You could use something like xxclone which doesnt use the geometry data,
but you would need another drive of the same size as the used space to do that with.

Old July 13th 07, 06:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Louis[_3_]

Any other suggestion on what's happening here

It may have been formatted with different geometry than what is being used
now.

Okay, but why can't chkdsk handle this ?

Old July 13th 07, 06:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Louis[_3_]

Rod Speed a pensé très fort :

According to the BIOS (Award) the drive (set to AUTO) has :

Cylinder 57460
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 57459
Sector 255

Access Mode Auto

Its either auto, or those value have been used. You cant have it both ways.

I guess you understand that these values are those set, detected (and
reported) by "auto" mode ?

Old July 13th 07, 07:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Louis wrote:

Any other suggestion on what's happening here

It may have been formatted with different geometry than what is being used now.

Okay, but why can't chkdsk handle this ?

It was never designed to do that. It just fixes problems that develop over time
with partitions that have been formatted with the geometry they currently have.