Dual channel question

Old July 2nd 04, 03:39 AM
Augustus

Default Dual channel question

Got a quick question about dual channel config on a Soltek SL-75FRN2 board.
Currently running a Barton 2500 with 1 stick PC2700 512Mb Samsung DDR. I've
got 2 x 256Mb sticks of matched PC3200 Samsung DDR that I'm going to put in
the primary dual channel slot and one of the secondaries. I know this will
enable dual channel; my other system has 2 x 512Mb set up this way. What
happens if I put the remaining original 512Mb PC2700 stick in the last
remaining slot. Does dual channel still function? Will it even boot? And if
you must have matched RAM in all three, does dual channel still operate with
all three slots filled? The m/b manual is none too clear on this. I'd
appreciate an answer to all three of these questions if someone
knows....thanks.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:36 AM
Lee

Hello

Well i have a Soltek SL-75FRN-RL board with 3x256mb ddr pc3200 ram and dual
channel for me is still functioning so it should do for you.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:39:13 GMT, "Augustus" wrote:

:Got a quick question about dual channel config on a Soltek SL-75FRN2 board.
:Currently running a Barton 2500 with 1 stick PC2700 512Mb Samsung DDR. I've
:got 2 x 256Mb sticks of matched PC3200 Samsung DDR that I'm going to put in
:the primary dual channel slot and one of the secondaries. I know this will
:enable dual channel; my other system has 2 x 512Mb set up this way. What
:happens if I put the remaining original 512Mb PC2700 stick in the last
:remaining slot. Does dual channel still function? Will it even boot? And if
:you must have matched RAM in all three, does dual channel still operate with
:all three slots filled? The m/b manual is none too clear on this. I'd
:appreciate an answer to all three of these questions if someone
:knows....thanks.
:

-----
Lee.
Old July 2nd 04, 09:03 AM

wrote:

Got a quick question about dual channel config on a Soltek SL-75FRN2 board.
Currently running a Barton 2500 with 1 stick PC2700 512Mb Samsung DDR. I've
got 2 x 256Mb sticks of matched PC3200 Samsung DDR that I'm going to put in
the primary dual channel slot and one of the secondaries. I know this will
enable dual channel; my other system has 2 x 512Mb set up this way. What
happens if I put the remaining original 512Mb PC2700 stick in the last
remaining slot. Does dual channel still function? Will it even boot? And if
you must have matched RAM in all three, does dual channel still operate with
all three slots filled? The m/b manual is none too clear on this. I'd
appreciate an answer to all three of these questions if someone
knows....thanks.

If all three stix were PC3200 then the answer to your question [s]
would be yes !

Because they are not I suspect that all three will run to the lowest
common denominator - PC2700. You could ' suck it and see ' what
happens.

The standard setting of 11x200 would be too high for your PC2700 to
cope with, but a starting underclock of 10x180 should allow a safe
boot and give you a workable point to begin to find the ceiling of
your mixed 27/3200 memory.

You never know your 2700 may be good enough to live with the 3200, I
would give it a go and see. Can't speak for the Soltec board but in
the event of a lockup, booting with the insert key held down should
give you access to the ' safe default ' settings in the BIOS.

BoroLad

N.B Pulling the BIOS jumper, whilst disconnected from the mains, will
in the event of a catastrophic failure give you back your MOBO.