My bios freezes when I overclock my system.

Old August 6th 03, 09:02 AM
Sascha Hauke

Default My bios freezes when I overclock my system.

On 5 Aug 2003 14:08:03 -0700, (Kevin R) wrote:

Okay ladies and gentlemen, this one has really got me stumped. My
bios froze on me one day and then I had to reset the CMOS to boot up
again. At that poin in time, my cpu clock speed was 146; it had
previously been at 170 for 11 months straight with a 80mm tornado fan
but I decided to underclock it and run it at 146 clock speed.
Temperature has never been a problem; My heatsink and airflow are
huge. Temperatures of my CPU have been around 50 degrees celcius with
both fans and clock speeds. The bios now freezes everytime I try to
up my cpu clock speed from 133 to 146 (146 makes my cpu an even 1800+
in quantum speed). The bios freezes after it shows the cpu and the
quantum speed but it shows the wrong quantum speed. It reads 1600+
but it should really be 1800+ because I changed the clock speed to
146. Also when it freezes, there is no ram count but it shows the
speed of PC2700 (146 CPU clock speed).

I might be mistaken, but shouldn't the display show the processor's ID
string, and therefore still display 1600+ ? I am not that familiar
with the way AMD handles that, though. (Yes, I am sorry, I am an
Intelite).
Is there anything you have done to your VCore, to the BIOS (as in
flashed a new one). What about your PCI bus speeds? If you have a
fixed divider for your PCI clock (one that only changes at the 100,
133, 166 intervalls), 146Mhz host-bus is actually worse than 170.

Just a few random thoughts...

Sascha
Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
- General "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell
Old August 6th 03, 10:12 PM
Flow

Sounds to me your cpu is not unlocked anymore.
You have to unlock it again i think.
I pressume the cpu runs fine at its stock speed 133 fsb?

"Sascha Hauke" schreef in bericht

Old August 19th 03, 12:27 PM
g33kfr33k

tried flashing bios ???
download new bios for yours...it should be on your motherboard
site...
no harm in trying
wont get anyu worse

On 5 Aug 2003 14:08:03 -0700, (Kevin R) wrote:

My specs:
Epox 8k3a motherboard
Corsair 256mb DDR333 PC2700 ram
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Thermalright AX-7 heatsink with a 92mm 64cfm fan and a 80-92mm adapter
500 watt power supply
geforce 2 GTS 64mb DDR
Seagate Barracuda 40 gig
Sony 10x8x32 CDRW
D-Link DFE-530TX+ ethernet card

[...]

Here are the things I have tried already: (in the order as they
appear)
change CMOS battery - resulting in the same freeze
flash bios using epox utility - resulting in the same freeze
change the slot that the ram was in - resulting in the same freeze
change hard drive - resulting in the same freeze
unplug hard drive and boot - resulting in the same freeze
unplug the cd-rom - resulting in the same freeze

Please remember that I have been running a more aggressive setup
(2200+ speed) in the past with absolutely no problems. My BIOS has
only given me problems now and I have tried all the above solutions in
the past week with no resolve.

IDE RAID- Major problem need to save my data MC General 21 December 5th 04 06:38 AM
A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM