Direct3D crashes my computer

Old September 29th 03, 02:32 AM
Scott

Default Direct3D crashes my computer

Anyone with a solution or with an idea on how to find the source of
the problem, please respond. Thanks.

--------------------
Problem:
--------------------
Monitor looses sync, goes black (Power Save Mode) and system becomes
unresponsive requiring reboot when running the DXDIAG tests for
Direct3D 8 and Direct3D 9 interfaces. I have the same problem in
several games.

--------------------
Other information:
--------------------
Using DXDIAG, both the DirectDraw and the Direct3D 7 interfaces tests
work fine. DXDIAG reports no problems.

I've disabled and then re-enabled Direct3D via DXDIAG.

I reinstalled DirectX 9. I did NOT uninstall DirectX before doing this
as there is not easy way to do this.

Since I lose video and have to reset the system when I run the D3D8
and D3D9 tests, I'm unable to see any error codes and have not found
any error logs.

I checked the manufacturer of the video card, a Gainward Ultra 650TV
Golden Sample (NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 - 128MB DDR), to ensure that
the card is using the latest BIOS.

Installed latest VIA drivers for the motherboard.

Flashed the motherboard (EPOX 8KTA3+) BIOS with the latest version.

Ran DXDIAG tests with monitor, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u, set as
both "plug & play" and using manufacturer's driver.

Starting with Detonator 45.23 drivers (latest from nVidia),
uninstalled drivers and switched to version 43.45 and retested, and
did the same with version 43.51 Detonator drivers.

Using the nVidia drivers, I tried the following timing modes
Auto-Detect, General Timing Formula and Discrete Monitor Timings.

I've run the tests with Antialiasing set to OFF.

Using the Windows XP Hardware Acceleration settings, I disabled Write
Combining and moved the acceleration slider down one notch.

I disabled all non-essential devices: sound card, firewire card, TV
card, scanner and network card. This step reset my WinXP Activation
and now I get a message warning me that I need to reactivate WinXP
within 3 days.

I don't have LapLink installed (according to Microsoft, this can cause
problems with Direct3D).

Disabled my antivirus software.

Switched Video BIOS Shadow from Enable to Disable in the motherboard
BIOS.

Changed AGP Aperature from 256MB to 128MB and AGP4x to AGP2x to AGP1x.
Changed AGP Driving Control from Auto to BA. Disabled AGP Fast Writes.

Changed PCI Latency Timing from 32 to 0.

I have an IRQ assigned to VGA in my BIOS.

I've read well over 100 online posts and several FAQs trying to find a
solution.

After many hours of testing & rebooting, I can't think of anything
else to try.

--------------------
System Information
--------------------
Time of this report: 9/28/2003, 03:03:12
Machine name: HOME
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service
Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8363
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 162MB used, 3836MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Old September 29th 03, 10:01 AM
ho alexandre

Scott wrote:
Monitor looses sync, goes black (Power Save Mode) and system becomes
unresponsive requiring reboot when running the DXDIAG tests for
Direct3D 8 and Direct3D 9 interfaces. I have the same problem in
several games.

I've had the same problem using old D3D applications (UT and Black
Thorne), but not newer ones (UT2003 and Morrowind).

I'm using a FX5600, with some 43.xx drivers. I ended up using OpenGL for
UT (which is far much better anyway), didn't do as much search as you did.

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/