tape as an archival medium

Old June 29th 10, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boris Epstein

Default tape as an archival medium

Hi all,

I used tapes aplenty back in the 1990's. They were a relatively cheap
way to save your data; obviously, slow if you had to access it. And
after 2-3 years they would usually go flaky (I am talking 4mm and 8mm
tapes).

Now I am wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with them
and what they impression is. We are potentially looking to archive up
to 20 TB of data (for now).

Any reports of experience, both positive and negative, would be
greatly appreciated.

Boris.
Old June 30th 10, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Manuel[_4_]

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:10:44 -0700 (PDT), Boris Epstein
wrote:

Hi all,

I used tapes aplenty back in the 1990's. They were a relatively cheap
way to save your data; obviously, slow if you had to access it. And
after 2-3 years they would usually go flaky (I am talking 4mm and 8mm
tapes).

Now I am wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with them
and what they impression is. We are potentially looking to archive up
to 20 TB of data (for now).

Any reports of experience, both positive and negative, would be
greatly appreciated.

Boris.

20 TB is a huge amount of data... tapes are usually 400gb so you need
many of them.

I never used tapes for backup, I prefer backup HD, but of course it's
your choice.

Modern tapes are very reliable anyway, compared to the 90s ones.

--
Arts, Music, Technology - http://manuelmarino.com

Has technology impoverished the actual experience
of listening to music? - http://manuelmarino.com/forum
Old June 30th 10, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mark Opolo

"Boris Epstein" wrote in message
Hi all,

I used tapes aplenty back in the 1990's. They were a relatively cheap
way to save your data; obviously, slow if you had to access it. And
after 2-3 years they would usually go flaky (I am talking 4mm and 8mm
tapes).

Now I am wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with them
and what they impression is. We are potentially looking to archive up
to 20 TB of data (for now).

Any reports of experience, both positive and negative, would be
greatly appreciated.

Boris.

our company still backs up to tapes every evening.

Old June 30th 10, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer[_2_]

"Boris Epstein" wrote in message
Hi all,

I used tapes aplenty back in the 1990's. They were a relatively cheap
way to save your data; obviously, slow if you had to access it. And
after 2-3 years they would usually go flaky (I am talking 4mm and 8mm
tapes).

Now I am wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with them
and what they impression is. We are potentially looking to archive up
to 20 TB of data (for now).

Any reports of experience, both positive and negative, would be
greatly appreciated.

Like "Manuel" I also backup to disk - cycling removable 2TB disks. We made
the choice to go to disk because it was cheaper and faster. That said, if
you are looking at 20TB then that's either a lot of disks or a very large
disk changer (last time I looked tapes were up to 400GB), so you may be
looking at a very expensive backup solution.

Out of curiosity what do you currently backup (your 20TB) to?
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old June 30th 10, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boris Epstein

On Jun 29, 11:34*pm, "Mark Opolo" wrote:
"Boris Epstein" wrote in message

Hi all,

I used tapes aplenty back in the 1990's. They were a relatively cheap
way to save your data; obviously, slow if you had to access it. And
after 2-3 years they would usually go flaky (I am talking 4mm and 8mm
tapes).

Now I am wondering if anybody has had any recent experience with them
and what they impression is. We are potentially looking to archive up
to 20 TB of data (for now).

Any reports of experience, both positive and negative, would be
greatly appreciated.

Boris.

our company still backs up to tapes every evening.

Mark,

Have you had to use those backups? What sort of experience if any have
you had trying to read the data off them?

Thanks.

Boris.
Old June 30th 10, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mark Opolo

[...]

I have been with the company 10 years and never seen or heard of them being
a problem but then again the IT guy is very secretive about what he does.

Old July 1st 10, 11:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer[_2_]

"Brian Cryer" not.here@localhost wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, that should have read "... a very large TAPE changer ...".

With our current 2TB doing a price comparision it was a no-brainer to go
with disk based backups. But once you need multiple disks for a single
backup I suspect other factors may come into play. So I'd be interested to
learn your conclusions.

Archival Question Walter R. General 2 November 21st 08 01:28 AM
reading an lto1 tape on an lto2 tape drive? [email protected] Storage & Hardrives 1 May 15th 06 08:56 PM
Travan tape drive draws tape completely off take-up reel John B General 5 June 15th 05 12:22 AM
Anyone used MIS Archival Inks? [email protected] Printers 3 January 3rd 05 09:12 PM
Best archival media? dg Cdr 2 May 8th 04 04:47 PM