Monitors and the world wide conspiracy

Old December 24th 04, 10:23 PM
po

Default Monitors and the world wide conspiracy

I realize this is somewhat off topic, but I didn't see any CRT monitor
groups.

So I used to have a Viewsonic. 4 years old, cost me about 600+ USD. It was
beautiful and it took up a whole kitchen table. One day it goes pink on me.
I guess the green burned out or something. Called viewsonic, they recomended
I take it to a local tv shop who recomended I buy a new one.

I bought a Samsung, flatscreen CRT after first trying a thin screen Sony.
The Sony thin screen seemed dull to me. The colors just weren't there. The
Samsung tends to be washed out. Too bright. I can fiddle with it to get
vibrant colors on text pages, but then most of the pictures on the net get
too dark and games are often too dark. This Samsung only cost 200 and best
buy only had CRTs that cost 200 in 19 inch. They're so busy pushing those
damn thin screen things.

I told the repair guy to throw away my old viewsonic because I thought it
was just a matter of getting the right settings with this new, cheaper
monitor, but after three weeks I'm almost certain that something is missing
in these new CRT's. I beginning to think that they make them all look so bad
because they want to make their thin screens look good in comparison. And
it's a huge pain in the ass to have to take one of these things home in a
giant box, carry it into the house and set it up only to have to return it
and try yet another bargain basement CRT that is also crap.

Question 1), Does anyone know of a quality 19 inch or larger CRT with
vibrant colors which look good on text pages as well as games? That's what I
want. I wouldn't mind spending 400 - 500 USDollars.

Question 2), Anybody have any thoughts on this world wide conspiracy to get
us all using washed out looking thin screen monitors?

I for one feel that thin screens are a fine thing, but not if it means we
pay a price in the quality of our color.

Old December 25th 04, 12:14 AM
First of One

"po" wrote in message
Question 1), Does anyone know of a quality 19 inch or larger CRT with
vibrant colors which look good on text pages as well as games? That's what

want. I wouldn't mind spending 400 - 500 USDollars.

Sony, NEC, Mitsubishi, iiyama and even Viewsonic all make excellent CRT
monitors.

If you can find any locally (tried CostCo?), go to MonitorsDirect.Com or
even Dell. Dell monitors are rebadged Sonys, but are often lower-priced.

Brands like Samsung and KDS are cheap, but they suffer in quality.

Question 2), Anybody have any thoughts on this world wide conspiracy to

get
us all using washed out looking thin screen monitors?

Not conspiracy, just sensibility. TFTs are easier on the eye for reading
text, so they are better for web, email, office work and software
programming. (You'll be surprised how many people do not play games on their
PCs.) For the manufacturer, TFTs are more profitable than CRTs, so...

Old December 25th 04, 07:54 AM
Minotaur

po wrote:
[...]

Love my new NEC Multisync FP2141SB, cost $1100 (AU) a few months back.
This model has a Sony CRT, the picture is very sharp upto 1920X1440.
Do agree the colours don't seem as colourful, as they did on my older
NEC 6FGp. However, Digital Vibrance on the nVidia drivers takes care of
that.
Great monitor, totaly recommend it and it looks great in black!

Minotaur (8*

btw, the Sony model with the same CRT as this NEC was $800 (AU) more
and I beleive it has less features.
Old December 25th 04, 02:03 PM
po

I think I had my eye on the same one at Amazon. The shipping is probably
about 120 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

How many US dollars is 1100 Australian dollars?

Old December 25th 04, 03:28 PM
dvus

First of One wrote:

[snip]
Brands like Samsung and KDS are cheap, but they suffer in quality.

Well, I have a 21" Samsung SyncMaster 100p+ and the display seems as good or
better than anything I've ever owned. Of course, that may be because I
haven't seen anything better.

dvus

Old December 25th 04, 03:53 PM
First of One

I think you are right. :-) I thought my Panasonic was pretty good until I
saw a 21" NEC with a Diamondtron tube. Of course, you need a video card with
good 2D output (Matrox, LeadTek, or ATi), ideally connected with BNC cables

Old December 25th 04, 06:37 PM
DaveL

I also have one of those Samsung 19 in crt. Got it from Best Buy cheap
after rebate because my old KDS went belly up about 6 months ago. This
Samsung is OK but you do have to set the vertical moire up to about 30 and
the brightness down to about 20.

DaveL

Old December 25th 04, 07:12 PM
MickT

"po" ...
I realize this is somewhat off topic, but I didn't see any CRT monitor
groups.

*snip*

But may I ask what video card are you using, this affect the CRT & LCD
differently!
To my knowledge, the best "picture" card came from Matrox and best colour
came from CRT.

Because LCD has only 8 bit colour, the rest of them are generated by an
illusion AKA dithering. Only the CRT can recreated the "true colour" range.

Plus, it is stupid to feed an analog out put to a LCD, LCD is best with
digital input.

Old December 26th 04, 02:52 AM
po

For awhile I had a NX 6600 GT with 128 RAM, but now I'm running on a GF4 Ti
4600 with 128 RAM

"po"

Old December 26th 04, 06:28 AM
dvus

First of One wrote:
"dvus" wrote in message

Well, I have a 21" Samsung SyncMaster 100p+ and the display seems as
good or better than anything I've ever owned. Of course, that may be
because I haven't seen anything better.

I think you are right. :-) I thought my Panasonic was pretty good
until I saw a 21" NEC with a Diamondtron tube. Of course, you need a
video card with good 2D output (Matrox, LeadTek, or ATi), ideally
connected with BNC cables

I've never noticed much difference between cables, they all seem to do
pretty much the same job. I see these "gold plated" audio and video cables
and I've even bought some, but the difference is invisible to me. On the
other hand, a quality CRT can make all the difference in the world. Go into
a TV retailer and from a distance pick out the best pictures on comparable
sets. Invariably 1 or 2 brands will always be among the better ones.

dvus